Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Spouse Sponsorship application - Police Check Inquiry

Canadian Spouse Sponsorship application - Police Check Inquiry

Old May 13th 2014, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

TheBaldricks is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Canadian Spouse Sponsorship application - Police Check Inquiry

Hi All,

I am a Canadian Citizen and I am applying to sponsor my Husband for us both to move to Canada (We live in London).

We are nearly ready send away our application, but we are waiting on my Husband's police check to arrive. Can we go ahead and post our application and wait for CIC to request the police check like the medical our should we wait for it to arrive and send everything together?

Many Thanks!

TheBaldricks
Old May 13th 2014, 10:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Spouse Sponsorship application - Police Check Inquiry

Wait for it to arrive, otherwise it'll probably just be sent back to you as an incomplete app. Not worth risking the courier fee and an extra couple of months waiting to resubmit just for a police cert. Presumably it'll be here in days anyway, is it a UK police check?

HTH, good luck.
Old May 13th 2014, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Canadian Spouse Sponsorship application - Police Check Inquiry

OK, It's probably not worth risking it. Thank you!

Also, I'm very confused to where to send the application. If we are applying from London do we have to send it to Canada still? I thought we could send it to a London office?

Many Thanks
Old May 13th 2014, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Family Class Applications
Using the map below, find your country of nationality or country/territory where you have been legally admitted for one year.
Select the information bubble for your country/territory to find out which visa office is responsible for processing your application.
Indicate this visa office in your application.
Mail your application to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
Spouses, common-law or conjugal partner and dependent children:
CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4N6
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ly-map.asp?q=2
Old May 13th 2014, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much.

Last question! I promise!

How to we indicate which office in our application. Should we just add this as a separate piece of paper?
Old May 13th 2014, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBaldricks
Thank you so much.

Last question! I promise!

How to we indicate which office in our application. Should we just add this as a separate piece of paper?
No, because you've already indicated it in your forms when you were asked about it, right?

Question 4 on form IM0008 iirc.

HTH.
Old May 13th 2014, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, we filled out the forms a long time ago and I forgot that we already did that. (Its been 5 months since we started this...). Thank you for bringing this to my attention and for all your help. It really is appreciated. Will triple check all the forms before sending them. :-)
Old May 13th 2014, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry, we filled out the forms a long time ago and I forgot that we already did that. (Its been 5 months since we started this...). Thank you for bringing this to my attention and for all your help. It really is appreciated. Will triple check all the forms before sending them. :-)
Blimey, 5 months is a record I think! If you filled them in 5 months ago, then do check they've not been updated on the CIC website. They update them fairly regularly, and an old version of a form will mean a rejection, so that's something else to consider.

Also check that they've not added anything else to the checklist that you didn't include when you first started the application.

Good luck.
Old May 13th 2014, 12:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I am a Canadian Citizen and I am applying to sponsor my Husband for us both to move to Canada (We live in London).

We are nearly ready send away our application, but we are waiting on my Husband's police check to arrive. Can we go ahead and post our application and wait for CIC to request the police check like the medical our should we wait for it to arrive and send everything together?

Many Thanks!

TheBaldricks
You need to have the medical before you send off the application for spousal sponsorship submissions and submit proof with your application. It's quite specific about this:
Medical instructions

You must undergo an upfront medical examination by contacting a Panel Physician.
You have filled out the 'outland' set of forms I hope?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

Old May 13th 2014, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

I will double check that all the forms are up to date, I was checking the forms against a checklist which I printed from the website just lastnight, I just haven't double checked that the forms are all filled out properly yet, will do this tonight. Thank you!

We thought that there was two options for the medical;

your immigration category

1) Wait for instructions once you have submitted your application
2) Undergo your exam before you submit your application (Only for certain Family Class applicants)

I thought theses were options and that my Husband can wait to have the medical done when requested?
Old May 13th 2014, 12:54 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf

Read #12.

Do your medical up front. A few people opted to wait instead, but it causes delays with the application.
Old May 13th 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

And yes, these are the application forms for outside of Canada. :-)
Old May 13th 2014, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf

Read #12.

Do your medical up front. A few people opted to wait instead, but it causes delays with the application.
But it is an option? I will inform my Husband - Thank you.

Also, is that the checklist we should be using? My Husband wouldn't believe me when I said that was the right check list and we have been using this;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5491E.pdf

Which I know not everything applies.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:10 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Uhhhhh yeah... okay so you're missing like half your application.

The first chunk of forms is for the sponsor. That's what you linked to. On the bottom of that checklist, from #22 onwards, it says "as per The Immigrant's Guide". So go look at The Immigrant's Guide (IMM3999). In there it says this:
Step 1. Gather Documents
What documents are required?

Use the appropriate visa office Document Checklist, which you can find in Part 3: Country Specific Instructions to assist you in gathering the necessary documentation.
So you go to the Country Specific Instructions (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../fc.asp#region) and then click Western Europe (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf) and that's got a whole second checklist in there. There's a bit of overlap with the first, so you don't have to provide things twice, but anything that's not on the first checklist that is on the second needs to be provided.

Edit: As for it being "an option", technically, no it isn't. The checklist says "provide proof you have done your medical". By not providing proof up front that you've done the medical, one of two things will happen.

One (best case scenario), CIC will ask that you go do your medical. This will delay your application. They have to send you the letter requesting you do the medical. Then you have to go do the medical. Depending on your location, wait times vary. Then CIC has to wait for the results of the medical (2-6 weeks or longer, depending). Once they have the results of the medical, they can continue processing your application.

Two (worst case scenario), CIC returns your application because it's incomplete, and now you have to go do everything again.

Or, just do the medical up front, like the instructions say, and avoid this whole mess.

Last edited by SchnookoLoly; May 13th 2014 at 1:14 pm.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ok - My head is spinning, haha!

Thank you for all that, I will keep all that in mind when going through everything tonight.

We have done both parts of the application, we are aware that its my part first as the sponsor then my Husbands and that its all sent together. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.