British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Canadian immigration? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/canadian-immigration-814733/)

yoo Nov 10th 2013 10:54 am

Canadian immigration?

i'm really confused about this, i think canada and the UK have a similar immigration policy, and i'm just wondering thats correct?

and also, they does canda have so many immigrants? is it because its easy to claim asylum there like it is in the UK and i know that canada has a system where u can get a visa based upon your profession i.e. nurse, doctor? and also on your education, no offence to anyone, but i doubt the vast majority of somali, afghan and nigerian immigrants to canada are skilled workers?

and would someone with a masters degree in business admin be likely to get a visa?

so yeh, i mean if canada has strict immigration why are there SOO many unskilled immigrant there?

Former Lancastrian Nov 10th 2013 12:18 pm

Re: Canadian immigration?

There are a number of factors as to why there are a lot of unskilled immigrants

Refugee claimants who made it to Canada and claimed refugee status.
Privately sponsored refugees chosen under or picked under Canadas obligation under the UNHCR
Those who's qualifications are not recognized or do not equate
Those who entered under the low skilled working programmes
Children of refugee claimants who attended school in Canada but did not complete post secondary education.

One has to ask are all engineers, physicians, dentists equal? Do they all hold the same qualifications?

manitobain Nov 10th 2013 12:46 pm

Family of skilled workers can belong to that category as well

civilservant Nov 10th 2013 3:17 pm

So, illegally into the US and legally into Canada? That's.... different.

christmasoompa Nov 10th 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by yoo (Post 10984630)
no offence to anyone, but i doubt the vast majority of somali, afghan and nigerian immigrants to canada are skilled workers?

'No offence to anyone but.... '? :huh: So somebody from Nigeria can't possibly be a plumber? Not sure I follow your (verging on racist) logic there tbh.

Jim Humphries Nov 10th 2013 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10984703)
There are a number of factors as to why there are a lot of unskilled immigrants

Refugee claimants who made it to Canada and claimed refugee status.
Privately sponsored refugees chosen under or picked under Canadas obligation under the UNHCR
Those who's qualifications are not recognized or do not equate
Those who entered under the low skilled working programmes
Children of refugee claimants who attended school in Canada but did not complete post secondary education.

One has to ask are all engineers, physicians, dentists equal? Do they all hold the same qualifications?

Should add sponsored spouses and children to that list.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 10th 2013 5:32 pm

Is this a hypothetical question?

not2old Nov 10th 2013 6:25 pm

the following is worth a read

Canada

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/22...t-immigration/

UK

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-uk-statistics

yoo Nov 10th 2013 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10984843)
'No offence to anyone but.... '? :huh: So somebody from Nigeria can't possibly be a plumber? Not sure I follow your (verging on racist) logic there tbh.

OK, fair enough, I didn't realize being a plumber got you a visa to Canada, i was referring to physicians and nurses mainly but if plumbers fall under that category of jobs that get a visa to Canada then i retract my previous statement, and apologize, and I can assure you i am not racist as i'm mixed of white and Asian, my girlfriend is mixed of black and white, and i have friends of all different backgrounds.

christmasoompa Nov 10th 2013 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by yoo (Post 10985041)
OK, fair enough, I didn't realize being a plumber got you a visa to Canada, i was referring to physicians and nurses mainly but if plumbers fall under that category of jobs that get a visa to Canada

In which case, I suggest you do a bit more research - physicians and nurses aren't even on the list of eligible occupations for a Skilled Worker visa.

I'm still not sure why you think a Nigerian or Somalian can't be a nurse or doctor though. :confused:

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 10th 2013 8:09 pm

Anybody remember the Doctor in Fawlty Towers? Ingrowing toe nail?

yoo Nov 14th 2013 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10985066)
In which case, I suggest you do a bit more research - physicians and nurses aren't even on the list of eligible occupations for a Skilled Worker visa.

I'm still not sure why you think a Nigerian or Somalian can't be a nurse or doctor though. :confused:

perhaps your right, i should do more research, and i didn't say that a Nigerian or Somalian can't be a doctor or a nurse, i said "i doubt the VAST MAJORITY of Somali, afghan and Nigerian immigrants to Canada are skilled workers"

Jim Humphries Nov 15th 2013 12:13 am

Originally Posted by yoo (Post 10991532)
perhaps your right, i should do more research, and i didn't say that a Nigerian or Somalian can't be a doctor or a nurse, i said "i doubt the VAST MAJORITY of Somali, afghan and Nigerian immigrants to Canada are skilled workers"

This is an irritating sort of thing. I am aware of many applicants from the areas you mention and all of them were in fact "skilled" and qualified workers.

yoo Nov 15th 2013 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries (Post 10991930)
This is an irritating sort of thing. I am aware of many applicants from the areas you mention and all of them were in fact "skilled" and qualified workers.

OK, where as my Nigerian and Somali friends(not afghan) say that they agree with what i'm saying on these posts and disagree that most people there are "skilled" workers.

SchnookoLoly Nov 15th 2013 9:26 pm

I think the overall issue is that the blanket statements come off as rather racist and frankly, unnecessary.

You have had answers to the non-racial parts of the questions you've asked.