Canadian Dream

Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

wanttoexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Dream

Hi All,

You probably get loads of these but I'm really not sure where to start. Essentially I live on a small rock which, while it has its benefits, I've longed to emmigrate away to Canada. However the website keeps saying I'm only eligible for express entry and then says I do not qualify. So I'm not really sure where to start or even if I'm dreaming about something impossible.

I work in IT, more specifically IT Security/Information Security. I'm ITIL qualified, CISSP, CCSA, Entry level penetration testing certification, experience with numerous tools and operating systems and have worked in for the same company for the past 10 years.

I'm 30 years old (so it's now or never for me really) but just need to know if I'm chasing something which is hopeless. I'm guessing I'd need to find a business willing to sponser me?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Dream

Originally Posted by wanttoexpat
Hi All,

I'm 30 years old (so it's now or never for me really) but just need to know if I'm chasing something which is hopeless. I'm guessing I'd need to find a business willing to sponser me?
Get an IEC application in now.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Dream

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Get an IEC application in now.
^^^ What he said. As you're 30, you've got the quickest and easiest route to a visa open to you, but only until you either turn 31, or until this year's allocation of IEC visas go. The application window is already open, so you need to apply asap.

If you do miss out on an IEC, then you can look at Express Entry, but if it's saying you're not eligible I wonder whether you don't score enough on the points score? What do you do, what education level do you have, and do you speak any French? Even if you do meet the points requirement (67 or more for a Skilled Worker - Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers), then there's also a second points score, the CRS (Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria) and you'll also need to score above approx 450-480 as a minimum to be in with a chance of being selected and invited to apply for PR.

Failing both of the above, then yes, you'll need an employer to pay $1000 and to prove that they can't find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job they want to offer to you. Not the easiest thing as you can imagine, so if you can get an IEC (or straight to PR via EE as above), then that would be much better/quicker/easier.

HTH and welcome to the forum.