Canadian citizenship

Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

jkgtr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian citizenship

hello all, been a while since i last posted but a little intro. Name is John and i am a british expat now living in Canada as a PR under family sponsorship. It has been 2 years now and i am starting to think about citizenship application so my question to you guys in the know (assuming this has been asked a lot and there is a really helpful page someone could just link as a reply ) is what information should i have to hand for my application? apart from the record of landing and pr card that is

A little about my last 2 years here. I have not been working but a mix of part time and full time student over that time so no tax forms, any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for your help

John.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Canadian citizenship

All the info you need is here:

Canadian citizenship

One thing I would point out is that you need 4 years as a PR with the current rules to be eligible to apply for citizenship. There is a calculator on the CIC website that'll tell you when you're eligible. Bear in mind that any time spent out the country (e.g. vacation) doesn't count towards your 4 years. So if you've been out the country 2 months total, it'd be 4 years and 2 months. They also don't count any time before PR anymore (i.e. time on a temporary work permit).

Hope this helps,

Graham.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

damn i didnt notice they put it up to 4 years, used to be 3 lol
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

They also used to count temporary work permit days as half days! Would have helped for us if they still had that too!

There's a few extra requirements like it has to be within the last 6 years as well. Best read through that link as it fairly clearly spells it all out.

Graham.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:57 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
They also used to count temporary work permit days as half days! Would have helped for us if they still had that too!
The new citizenship rules (currently the bill is going through parliament) are looking at allowing this and for it be 3 years out of 5 instead of 4 out of 6 years.

Time before on a TWP/study permit/IEC will count as half a day per day you were in Canada up to one year.

They should never have got rid of this IMO - stupid Harper!
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

thanks a lot folks.

lots of help
Old Aug 24th 2016, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
The new citizenship rules (currently the bill is going through parliament) are looking at allowing this and for it be 3 years out of 5 instead of 4 out of 6 years.

Time before on a TWP/study permit/IEC will count as half a day per day you were in Canada up to one year.

They should never have got rid of this IMO - stupid Harper!
They're planning to change it back? (Pretty sure that's what it was before the semi-recent changes). Is it basically a reversal? That'll be nice as we could apply quicker!

When you say the TWP days would count as a half day per day we were in Canada up to one year, can I clarify which of the following you mean:
1. 2 years on a TWP at a half day each, making one year total of full days
2. 1 year on a TWP at a half day each, making half a year total of full days

?

Any idea on timeframe for this one? It'd bring forward our potential application date! :-) Not sure what it'd normally take for this sort of thing to go through parliament and actually take effect at CIC.

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 9:05 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
They're planning to change it back? (Pretty sure that's what it was before the semi-recent changes). Is it basically a reversal? That'll be nice as we could apply quicker!

When you say the TWP days would count as a half day per day we were in Canada up to one year, can I clarify which of the following you mean:
1. 2 years on a TWP at a half day each, making one year total of full days
2. 1 year on a TWP at a half day each, making half a year total of full days

?

Any idea on timeframe for this one? It'd bring forward our potential application date! :-) Not sure what it'd normally take for this sort of thing to go through parliament and actually take effect at CIC.

Thanks,

Graham.
I believe it is bill c24 that is being repealed.

There are some CBC articles about it on the web and when I landed the CIC agent also spoke to me about it when I asked so it pretty certain to go through.

So basically it means on a TWP that you need have been in Canada for 2 years under TWP to get 1 year towards citizenship - it will probably mean like PR that any time spent outside of Canada will not count towards citizenship.

I have 10 months towards it right now from being on an IEC
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:55 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I believe it is bill c24 that is being repealed.

There are some CBC articles about it on the web and when I landed the CIC agent also spoke to me about it when I asked so it pretty certain to go through.

So basically it means on a TWP that you need have been in Canada for 2 years under TWP to get 1 year towards citizenship - it will probably mean like PR that any time spent outside of Canada will not count towards citizenship.

I have 10 months towards it right now from being on an IEC
This would be my assumption as well. Time outside of Canada as a PR has never counted towards citizenship. (I think the exception was if you were deployed... I think.)
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:09 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

It is being repealed and needs passing in Senate- Likely to happen after the Summer recess.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:33 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
It is being repealed and needs passing in Senate- Likely to happen after the Summer recess.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
This would be my assumption as well. Time outside of Canada as a PR has never counted towards citizenship. (I think the exception was if you were deployed... I think.)
1. Civil Servants and Military, can claim service time outside Canada.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

By my (approximate) calculations, the changes would mean we could apply now, if they were in effect.

We have approximately 17 months from TWP time, giving 8.5 months.

We have almost 30 months from PR time.

That gives 38.5 months total within the last 5 years, which is perfect! Even discounting any vacations (which would only remove half days when on TWP), we'd still be at it. By the time we'd gathered paperwork, photos, etc. we'd 100% be ready.

At the risk of getting an answer that I find shocking, when is the summer break for MP's and Senate finished? I know it's likely a total stab in the dark, but would anyone have any idea when a likely time would be that it'd be ready at CIC?

Also, any ideas if the application and paperwork required is likely to change? I'm unsure if it was the same before this bill came in, so unsure if it has something to go back to. I'm wondering if I should spend time and effort getting the application filled out and paperwork ready. There is definitely some paperwork I imagine won't change that I could get ready. I can also hold off on photos as I know they need to be within 6 months.

This is exciting - I totally missed that announcement :-)

Graham.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:05 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is in a similar boat. He'll hit 36 months later this year, so if they change the requirements he'll be able to apply reasonably soon. Fingers crossed!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:15 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Can't put an exact date on it- We too are waiting to submit our reapplication as soon as it gets through, now that we can speak English (apparently)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.