Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada's immigration & deportation polices - terrorist wonderland

Canada's immigration & deportation polices - terrorist wonderland

Old Sep 17th 2001, 2:42 pm
Arthur Luxury-Yacht

The Wall Street Journal had a story on Sept 14, 2001 page A11 and discussed how the
spinless Canadian immigration and deportation policies have made Canada a terrorist
wonderland. The Islamic terrorists use Canada as a way to get into America to murder
Americans.

Thanks Canada.

Old Sep 17th 2001, 5:18 pm
Blindog

I would not normally defend the Government here and undoubtedly there is a lot that
needs to be improved in the Immigration/Refugee system. However:

a) the talk of a Canadian connection to the horrific U.S. terrorist bombing has
decreased and it is not at all certain at this time that there was *any*
connection to Canada and, more importantly,

b) it would still be the U.S. Customs/Immigration that would have let those people
in. Unlike many European countries, Canada has no exit checks

BD

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 8:00 pm
Jim Humphries

Dear Arthur, Every Canadian is distressed and angry at those who perpetrated the WTC
attack. The USA has received our solemn condolences and assurances of assistance in
the search for their co-conspirators.

I would only note that the Wall Street Journal has carefully forgotten the fact that
USINS officers allowed these people into the USA. As a former visa officer I can
assure you that Canadian visa officers are just as difficult and selective as USA
consular officers.

No thanks are therefore required.

Jim Humphries

Arthur Luxury-Yacht wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 9:48 pm
Thedrifter

The allegations at this moment in time are groundless, for example:

1) Almost all of the terrorist lived in the USA for a long periods of time.
2) They also received most of their flight training at US flight schools.
3) Most of the terrorist had Florida addresses.
4) Many of the terrorist entered the USA with US issued visas.
5) They hyjacked 4 US planes via US airports passing through US airport security

Canada and the US, both need to rexamine their respective immigration and customs
screening policies. In light of the tragedy of Sept 11/01

bg

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 18th 2001, 12:34 am
Berto Volpentesta

Out of the possible dozens or hundreds that participated and the = hundreds or
thousands that remain, I am quite sure that Canada did not = send them to the USA,
nor help them get in to the USA.

Canada and the USA have shared the worlds longest undefended border = without major
incident for nearly two hundred years. This speaks to the = nature of our
relationship.

Canada and the USA have open countries where people from around the = world may come
to study, work, play and live freely. This creates a = natural way for the less
savoury of our species to victimize those that = truely wish to prosper as a race
(human race).

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 18th 2001, 4:54 am
Gary L. Dare

I would not normally defend the Government here and undoubtedly there is a
    >

By the way, Canada's policies are at least as strict as the US up 'til 1996, i.e.,
the standards that let Sheikh Omer-Abdel Rahman and his followers, who bombed the WTC
in early 1993, into the US. The WSJ doesn't seem to have a problem with the US laws
pre- nor post-1996.

Among those convicted in the US Embassies bombings in Africa were a US citizen from
Texas and a two tour US Army Seargent, US permanent resident (green card) who
plea-bargained.

>
    >
    >

>
    >

Not only that, if they got into Canada then it would have been FROM the US ... maybe
to take a short cut and leave a convoluted trail. IF they ever entered Canada. Either
way, those scoundrels made multiple entries into the US.

After the WSJ article appeared, the weekend saturation news coverage included mention
of names passed by the CIA to the FBI ... and left sitting in somebody's IN box!
Also, even if those names made it to the FBI, they may be in a classified list not
available to lower level federal agents like border guards from Customs or
Immigration. Never mind the Canadian authorities, let alone state and local police as
one of the accused rang up two DUI offences!!

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Sep 18th 2001, 10:01 pm
Marco

Arthur,

thank you for pointing out this article to us. I do hope you don't believe
everything the Wall Street Journal (usually a well-informed, quality newspaper)
writes. Any democracy which respects it's citizens rights could be construed to be a
terrorist wonderland, because this amount of freedom inevitably opens up the
possibility of abuse.

The important issue in your posting is, and I quote, "...as a way to get into
America...". The way to get into America is at a border crossing. At the border U.S.
customs and immigration officers are in charge of who may enter the U.S., and they
can and should refuse entry to people with malicious intentions. The problem is of
course how to identify these people.

Canada is and has been the States' most true and faithful ally. Instead of pointing
fingers, I think it is more constructive for those who know of any deficiencies in or
abuse of immigration/customs procedures which allow terrorists to sneak in to point
these out to the Canadian and/or U.S. government. But this is besides the topic of
the immigration newsgroup.

- Marco.

Arthur Luxury-Yacht wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 20th 2001, 1:22 am
Canada-Phile

Let me chime in, as an American, that the previously deadliest "terrorist" attack in
the US was perpetrated by a home-grown, Desert Storm vet, eagle scout, white guy with
ties to the so-called "Patriot Movement." He was about as "American" as most people
picture the average American--if there is such a beast any more. 'Was,' of course,
being the operative word; we love our Wild West justice here.

Timmothy McVey crossed no border. Non-president Bush's simple-minded statement that
he will fight terrorism in all its forms everywhere not only presents problems of
whose definition of terrorist we accept, but also the real possibility that the US
itself harbors terrorists. Do not the members of the US so-called "Patriot Movement"
seek to undermine or outright overthrow the US government? One man's Patriot is
another man's Terrorist. Our Contras were "Freedom Fighters"; Terrorists to the
Sandinistas.

I guess Bush just declared war on his own country. He has surely signed its death
warrant he pursues his knee-jerk aims of war in the Middle East. He will set off more
evil which will beget yet more evil upon the US. As my Hindu friend said yesterday as
we left work, "God bless the World." Meaning, '...because America is now angry.'

I couldn't agree more with Canadians who point out that the US Customs and
Immigration services still control our borders. They can refuse entry to anyone as
they see fit. End of argument.

BTW, I cross between the US and Canada about every other month. I notice that I am
always treated by the Canadian officials in a professional, courteous manner. I seem
to leave almost every encounter with the US border personnel with a bad feeling, as
though I have been disrespected, sometimes not so subtly, but not in such a way that
would give me grounds to lodge a complaint as such. It seems to be some sort of sport
among US border staff to insult even fellow US citizens and get away with it.

>
[usenetquote2]>> The Wall Street Journal had a story on Sept 14, 2001 page A11 and discussed how[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> the spinless Canadian immigration and deportation policies have made Canada a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> terrorist wonderland. The Islamic terrorists use Canada as a way to get into[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> America to murder Americans.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Thanks Canada.[/usenetquote2]