Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada a very racist place to try to live

Canada a very racist place to try to live

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 2:40 am
Frog2

Mom: I'll tell world Toronto (T.O.) racist Tolerance a lie, activists say

By BRETT CLARKSON -- Toronto Sun Monday, June 18, 2001

Toronto mother Murphy Browne will travel to South Africa this September to share
stories of life as a black woman in one of the city's poorest neighbourhoods.

She'll be half a world away from her family's home in St. Jamestown, but she'll be
no farther from the racist realities she says she faces in the heart of Canada's
largest city.

Just a few months ago, she says, she was berated by a tenant in her building who
launched into racist tirade. It is a regular occurance to have her black
heritage attacked.

"The racism I experience is compounded by my economic status," says Browne, president
of the board of directors of Central Neighbourhood House, a downtown community
service centre.

Browne will travel to Durban, South Africa, for the United Nations' World Conference
Against Racism in the fall, where she'll stomp on the widely held perception of
Canada as a place of compassion and open arms.

"I think it's very important that the myth of Canada as a tolerant country is
exposed," she said yesterday at the Beyond the World Conference, a national forum
organized by the National Anti-Racism Council.

Discussion topics at Metro Hall included issues of race in the media, the
government's aboriginal policy and the role of public education in a diverse society.

"Having a strong public school system is one of the most important things you can do
to breed tolerance," said Dave Meslin, 26, a former private-school student, who said
that while Toronto is multicultural, its also strongly divided along socio-economic
and race lines.

He said his education kept him among people of similar background and he rarely
interacted with other cultures 'til he was in his 20s.

Conference-goers hoped to set a national anti-racism agenda for the coming years, and
will release a report on the state of racial discrimination in Canada.

"In reality, there are many severe problems within Canada," said Avvy Go, a lawyer
who works with the council. "We do have intolerance, we do have racism, and violence
against minorities is commonplace."