Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada migration agent/immigration lawyer

Wikiposts

Canada migration agent/immigration lawyer

Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada migration agent/immigration lawyer

Hello

I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a reliable migration agent or immigration lawyer? Preferably one that offers a fixed fee service and is honest.

I have read some bad reviews, even for those that are properly registered, and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

My partner has a very good job offer with a Canadian company so I feel we should be ok, but as his expertise was gained by years of experience rather than formal education, if we have to satisfy the points system we may only just scrape by, hence I would like to use an agent or lawyer to put our case in the best light.

Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada migration agent/immigration lawyer

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
Hello

I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a reliable migration agent or immigration lawyer? Preferably one that offers a fixed fee service and is honest.

I have read some bad reviews, even for those that are properly registered, and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

My partner has a very good job offer with a Canadian company so I feel we should be ok, but as his expertise was gained by years of experience rather than formal education, if we have to satisfy the points system we may only just scrape by, hence I would like to use an agent or lawyer to put our case in the best light.

Thanks
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

What visa route are you planning on going down and has your partner got his/her LMO/AEO yet? You mention points, but are the company who have given your partner a job offer prepared to wait 8-12 months him/her to start work or are you just going on a TWP to start with?

And which province are you going to? Most provinces have a PNP program that would allow you to gain PR once there working, so if you are concerned about not qualifing as a Skilled Worker due to a points shortfall, that may be a better route for you.

If you really feel that you need to use a consultant, then do a search and you'll find lots of threads with recommendations on.

Good luck.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for your reply. Not sure what LMO/AEO is?

It is Ontario. The company want him to start shortly so it would have to be a dual temp/perm application.

I can't quite work out from the Canadian immigration website as to whether I could work as a 'spouse' either on the temp or perm visa. I am degree educated but my line of work is not on the demand list so I wouldn't qualify on my own account.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:15 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks
If the Canadian employer wants to employ your partner badly enough, they would be well advised to retain their own agent or lawyer to make it happen.

When I was headhunted to come here my employer took care of all the paperwork and associated expenses, I just had to be at the airport at the right time.

LMO is the paperwork the employer needs to get to show no Canadians are available to do the job. As they want them here ASAP a temporary work permit would be their quickest and most likely option.

There is a list of abbreviations/ TLAs in one of the read me threads at the top of the page, as well as wiki articles on many immigration topics. You would be entitled to an open permit on the back of your partners job specific one, so could work anywhere up to a point.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 18th 2010 at 2:19 am.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, just realised you are talking about the Labour Market Opinion. Not sure if the company has that, but they have employed people from the UK in the past, so I imagine they have covered it. It is something we probably need to check with them.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for your reply. Not sure what LMO/AEO is?

It is Ontario. The company want him to start shortly so it would have to be a dual temp/perm application.

I can't quite work out from the Canadian immigration website as to whether I could work as a 'spouse' either on the temp or perm visa. I am degree educated but my line of work is not on the demand list so I wouldn't qualify on my own account.
The LMO (Labour Market Opinion) or AEO (Arranged Employment Option) are what your partner's potential employers have to apply for in order for him to be able to work for them.

As you say it would be a temp permit to start with (upgrading to PR later) then they'd have to apply for a LMO, for which they have to prove that they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able to do the job. Once your partner has the LMO (which can take up to six months to obtain) then he can apply for a Temp Work Permit.

There are a few roles that are LMO exempt, but only if your partner works in IT?

And yes, assuming that you and your partner have lived together for a year or more (and therefore are 'common-law spouses' according to CIC) then you could accompany him on any visa and you'd be able to work too.

Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The LMO (Labour Market Opinion) or AEO (Arranged Employment Option) are what your partner's potential employers have to apply for in order for him to be able to work for them.

As you say it would be a temp permit to start with (upgrading to PR later) then they'd have to apply for a LMO, for which they have to prove that they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able to do the job. Once your partner has the LMO (which can take up to six months to obtain) then he can apply for a Temp Work Permit.

There are a few roles that are LMO exempt, but only if your partner works in IT?

And yes, assuming that you and your partner have lived together for a year or more (and therefore are 'common-law spouses' according to CIC) then you could accompany him on any visa and you'd be able to work too.

Thanks so much, you've been very helpful!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Sorry one further question - did you mean that he could get a temp work permit BEFORE the employer is granted an LMO, or do they have to have it in place even for a temp work permit?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:07 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry one further question - did you mean that he could get a temp work permit BEFORE the employer is granted an LMO, or do they have to have it in place even for a temp work permit?
They need the LMO, a work permit however is only ever temporary, there is no guarantee it will be renewed a few years down the line if the economic situation changes.

Its also very limiting in terms of day to day access to credit, switching to another job and things like that, so best to set the wheels in motion to get Permanent Resident status as soon as possible.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, as Iain said, he needs the LMO first - can't get a Temp Work Permit without it. So that needs to be the first step, and it's something that the company must apply for, your partner can't do it himself.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hello

I just have one last general question - the employer has now applied for the LMO and assuming they receive a positive opinion, my partner will apply for a TWP. My question is whether anyone has found any benefit in engaging a migration agent to apply for a TWP - it seems such a simple form that I cannot see any benefit in getting assistance - unless I am missing something. I wouldn't want to make a mistake at this point!

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I just have one last general question - the employer has now applied for the LMO and assuming they receive a positive opinion, my partner will apply for a TWP. My question is whether anyone has found any benefit in engaging a migration agent to apply for a TWP - it seems such a simple form that I cannot see any benefit in getting assistance - unless I am missing something. I wouldn't want to make a mistake at this point!

Thanks
you dont need to pay for a lawyer, it is honestly very straight forward. Just ask any questions as you need to on this forum.

also you dont need to apply for a temporary visa through the high commission once you have the positive LMO. You can just turn up in canada with the LMO, employment offer letter, fee, forms etc and get the visa on the spot - it will save you a lot of time.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We did TWP with no problems and no migration agent or lawyer as did many others on here
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Hello

Thanks
If employer supplies you with LMO then there is really nothing for agent or lawyer left to do. The TWP application form and instructions are pretty simple. Get the form and instructions from CIC website and try to digest all first. If you have questions then ask here.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi there, I thought about applying at entry, but I wasn't sure if my being added on for an open work permit would complicate matters - would it still be a simple process do you know?

Originally Posted by chanceUK
you dont need to pay for a lawyer, it is honestly very straight forward. Just ask any questions as you need to on this forum.

also you dont need to apply for a temporary visa through the high commission once you have the positive LMO. You can just turn up in canada with the LMO, employment offer letter, fee, forms etc and get the visa on the spot - it will save you a lot of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.