Is this Canada? Job Market

Old Jun 16th 2001, 2:38 pm
Mecoolbaby

Job Market in Canada
--------------------
I heard a lot about in the news, on Internet that Canada has shortage of skilled
workers. Well the answer is yes. But don’t forget that in Canada Companies are
very cautious and slow. If they don’t find the entire requirements in
Candidate, they will keep the position open for a long long time. The employers are
also not flexible. I will explain in a while, what exactly I meant.

Half of the immigrants have problems speaking English. Even the business English. And
immigrants don't understand how important is English to get a decent job until they
get themselves into construction work. For an example, I was riding in a bus. I asked
middle-aged women that I am new in town and would she please let me know when my stop
will come. The lady got horrified as if I am trying to kill her. Her eyes got big and
red. She said No! No! What do you mean! , I won't do that.

There is a place in Markham, where you will find a lot of construction workers. Most
of them have master’s degree and Ph.D. degree from their countries. These
people work as constructors’ workers during daytime and learn English during
evening. Some time I am surprised on the Canadian immigration process. When English
is a mandatory requirement in skilled category, how come these hundreds and thousands
of people without good spoken English get through. And spend more than a year to get
a good job.

In United States, companies look at the people skills, any experience and capability
to learn and perform work. But in Canada companies look at the Canadian degrees,
US/Canadian experience only. If you are looking for "GOOD" IT job. Recruiters will
ask - do you have a degree from Waterloo University? And if you are an immigrant,
then the expectations are much higher. My friend immigrated to Toronto 4 years back
as an Oracle developer. He started job with a salary of CAD$40K in Toronto and goes
up to CAD$55K(Vancouver) in 4 years. He also changed 2 companies. After he got
Canadian citizenship, he moved to Seattle with an offer of US$90K.

In US people relocate in a blink of an eye. Canadian doesn’t generally
relocate. Many recruiters told that to me. It means that if you are in Vancouver,
then a job in Toronto can take months and months. Companies will not pay relocation
and you have to come for an interview at your own personal expense. If you are
living in a different province or in US and even if you are very talented than
"LOCALS", you will not get an interview call. Most of the companies prefer "LOCALS".
If you are looking job in Toronto, better come to Toronto and live there and then
start looking for job. If you don't get a job in Toronto, then move to Vancouver,
live there and then start looking for job. Not Bad, at least you will know Tourist
centers in each province!

This year is very difficult to get job in Canada (even for IT experts). People are
spending upto 7-8 months to get a job. And most of the immigrants are not aware of
this situation until they land in Canada. Why the Canadian Government and
immigration consultant/Lawyers have failed to bring this job situation to immigrants
before they land?

I think instead of Canadian Government Authorities hiring skilled labor, the Canadian
companies should be encouraged to hire foreign talents to fill positions and then
making them eligible for Canadian PR say after 6 months or a year. Singapore does the
same thing.

Stay tuned for my next topic - "LIVING COST IN CANADA"

Old Jun 16th 2001, 2:57 pm
Ned

Immigrants would much rather have an easy route in and then fend for themselves after
they get in. Canada also needs people and so will take immigrants who have a chance
of being a success - but there's no guarantee.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 16th 2001, 3:28 pm
Gary L. Dare

Job Market in Canada
    >
    >
    >
    >

Canada and its local markets are also small and Toronto, which is the size of the
Minneapolis-St. Paul twin cities, operates at that speed. Your job hunt in Minnesota
will be slower, too.

>

Is he still employed?

>
    >

American YOUNG people are more likely to relocate because their domestic market is
larger and has more options. In Winnipeg, my domestic options to leave were Toronto
and Ottawa, for my line of work.

Over 30, on the other hand, that changes. Americans are no more eager to move than
Canadians. You're often in a marriage with two careers. Let's say that she's a
professor up for tenure. If that happens, you're not going to be moving from Chicago
to your law firm's head office in New York City any time soon ...

>

Thank you for your IMPRESSIONS, other people have them too:

http://www.canoe.ca/MoneyColumnsWhit...whitehead.html

See also a column in that section from Catherine Rahal in her archives, from last
September.

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Jun 17th 2001, 5:45 pm
A.

What is so special about a degree from Waterloo University?

Mecoolbaby wrote in message
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 18th 2001, 2:44 am
Gary L. Dare

Waterloo's degree is of particular interest to employers because of its (compulsary?)
year of work internship. However, Waterloo is no slouch in research, either, in
comparison to Canadian universities with nice endowments like Toronto and McGill.
Given that, this series has been entertaining and enlightening but prone to hyperbole
like any popular journalism. In many ways, MeCoolBaby is better on his technical
details than writers paid for that in the Globe & Mail and the National Post
(especially Jon Chevreau of the Financial Post, who I've called many times on his
Wealthy Boomer magazine web site's forum about US tax rates ... for a financial
writer, he things federal tax is the only income tax that people pay in the US and
seems unaware of state and federal payroll income taxes, and higher property taxes as
reported by Pat Bolland of CNBC on a Financial Post piece from early March.

Waterloo is held in high regard but not uniquely.

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"