Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada Immigration expo - feedback

Canada Immigration expo - feedback

Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:52 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Immigration expo - feedback

As someone who has applied for PNP (SINP) and used that to support my PR application there were document where I had to declare my intention to reside in the province that nominated me.

In the future, should immigration become a seriously "hot topic", some Jobsworth will start comparing PNP applicants and their current locations. People, who stay in nominee provinces for very short times before moving on could find themselves in trouble.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rubie
Sorry for appearing a little stupid but please can someone expand on this. Either it means no applications have been submitted or that they have gone somewhere before the London office. I think I have missed something..........
I think he meant that the applications are all still sitting at CIC, Canada for post-June-26th. None of them have made it to the visa offices yet.

Wayne.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by manitobain
to add to the lawyer "thing"

I know personally someone who paid some "decent" money to Goldman...because they wanted to make darn sure they were doing things right (their reason to use a laywer). He "consulted" them for a year (they plan to come to MB), suggested to them to apply to general stream of PNP (2 years waiting time about) before I managed to get them into another stream of the PNP with timeline of about 4 months (I help out with a local free community immigration/settlement service). I sooooo would have asked the money back..but think they were just happy that things are moving now forward.

And for staying in the Province you get nominated by: I don't think any province can force you (we came through the Quebec program, would have had to pay some money back...if we wouldn't have staid long enough), BUT everyone should only apply to the Province they really want to be and make a really big effort to integrate. The Province is sponsoring you, helping you to make your dream possible....shouldn't you in return be as fair as staying at least some time to "repay"? If the provinces don't feel the programs are working and keeping ppl, it will be scrapped...as it is after all taxpayers money, and everyone is losing out. So.. please make sure you pick the Province that is right for you!

Hi - I completely agree that people should make an effort to settle in the province which has sponsored them. If our FSW1 application unsuccessful we may look at PNP, and I believe my software development skills are on the PNP list for British Columbia. Since BC/Vancouver is where we want to settle anyway this would fit perfectly.

However, I levied the question at the immigration lawyer just out of curiosity, in case unforseen circumstances changed.

Wayne.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:52 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joepublic
The FSW apps get sent to the CIO in NS first, then if approved are forwarded to London. On 26 June 2010 the list of 38 FSW in-demand jobs dropped down to 29 and it became mandatory to provide a proof of language examination, in English or French, as part of the initial application (amongst other additional things). The OP is implying that none of the post 26 June apps have yet to make it through the 'filter' at the CIO and be forwarded on to London. No doubt that this is a product of the limited places and subsequent delay in applicants taking an IELTS, as well as the increased paperwork required and the following backlog:
"Until the first quarter of 2010, application intake had dropped such that the overall number of people waiting for a decision on their application, including those who applied before and after the Action Plan was introduced, was consistently declining. However, in the first three months of this year, the Department saw a dramatic rise in the number of new applicants (see Figure 1) with an increase of 33,190 people in the federal skilled worker inventory subject to ministerial instructions."
Original source here - it makes interesting reading when you consider that the process was heading for 10-years long before the 'fast-track' was introduced in 2008. Looking at the figures quoted above, the cap of 20,000 FSW applicants (without an AEO) will be gone before you know it.
Originally Posted by Waggle
I think he meant that the applications are all still sitting at CIC, Canada for post-June-26th. None of them have made it to the visa offices yet.

Wayne.
Thank you both. All makes much more sense to me now. I didn't realise FSW applications didn't get sent direct to London.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubie
Thank you both. All makes much more sense to me now. I didn't realise FSW applications didn't get sent direct to London.
The situation used to be that you would send an initial application (forms only) to CIC, Canada. And then if initially approved they would give you 120 days to submit your full documents to London.

Now they've changed it and you submit all your documents, forms and supporting documents required by both CIC and VO checklists, to CIC in Canada.

They sit on it for months and months and eventually if you are lucky you'll get 1st AOR and they'll send your entire application to London. London then sit on it for months and months and if you're lucky you'll get medical requests etc....

Wayne.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:40 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

The situation used to be that you would send an initial application (forms only) to CIC, Canada. And then if initially approved they would give you 120 days to submit your full documents to London.

Now they've changed it and you submit all your documents, forms and supporting documents required by both CIC and VO checklists, to CIC in Canada.

They sit on it for months and months and eventually if you are lucky you'll get 1st AOR and they'll send your entire application to London. London then sit on it for months and months and if you're lucky you'll get medical requests etc....

Wayne.
All that 'sitting' makes it sound like they're waiting for it to hatch!!

I am a PNP applicant and so aren't going through quite the same process although we are waiting for the same 'hatching' process at London waiting for med requests!

Good luck with your wait.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice

Hey, I might of missed this if you said it but...what expo was it you went to out of curiosity?

Me and my family are going to an expo in manchester this saturday it's for canada, new zealand and australia...think it's called "Opportunities Canada"

Never been to an expo before so not sure what to expect, but I have heard lots of complaints on these forums about them.

Stacey
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

scents60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joinerboy
If I'd read that article earlier this year I'd never have even bothered meeting WB.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne.
I love how your opinions on CIC are becoming more and more scathing
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I love how your opinions on CIC are becoming more and more scathing
CIC IMO have valid reasons for a slow summer service:-
1) Staff on holiday
2) Lots of student visas to process
3) A heavy intake of applications during May and June

However what annoys me a bit is their lack of communication. It would take someone 5 minutes per week to update their website with exactly which dated applications they are processing, timelines expected to reach visa office - just more information than a 6 monthly update saying "we are currently processing last year's applications. We haven't got a clue about 2010-2011 applications".

As soon as your completeness check is done your credit card/debit card is charged and you get a file number, as I understand it. However, they don't send you a file number until they finish the eligibility review and send AOR.

Now my question is how difficult would it be to email you your file number once the completeness check is finished with your file number? One guy reported his application reached CIC 7th October and his CC was charged 12th October. This means only 5 days from receipt of application to completeness check/credit card charge.

I know they get a lot of applications but this would take the briefest of moments, especially since it could be automated (when they produce the file number on their computer systems, the system automatically sends out an email saying "Hey guess what, we got your application, there's your file number, next step is eligibility review").

Given the vast sums of money paid to CIC for this process, it wouldn't IMO hurt them to get into the 20th century with regards their technology.

Any other company which provided such poor customer service would be out of business by now!

Wayne.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as your completeness check is done your credit card/debit card is charged and you get a file number, as I understand it. However, they don't send you a file number until they finish the eligibility review and send AOR.
Not sure about the new system, but pre-June 2010, you also got your number in your 120 day email, so they already did exactly what you've suggested! I'm guessing they'll still do the same for post June 2010 applications too.

If they were to send any more communications, it would just slow it down even further. Considering how many hundreds of thousands of applications they get every year, I think they do a pretty good job. Certainly compared to a few years ago, they're incredibly quick now so things have got much better.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:51 pm
No longer waiting :-)

iamafish is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this the same procedure for PNP applications, or do they go via a different route? Our PNP CI application went to CHC on 1st July, so I am curious to know whether these would still be waiting with the FSW ones, or are handled differently?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey
Hey, I might of missed this if you said it but...what expo was it you went to out of curiosity?

Me and my family are going to an expo in manchester this saturday it's for canada, new zealand and australia...think it's called "Opportunities Canada"

Never been to an expo before so not sure what to expect, but I have heard lots of complaints on these forums about them.

Stacey
The one I went to was the same guys.
http://www.expo-canada.com/

I went to the one in London, the one in Manchester is a week later (this coming weekend).

Like I said we were fairly disappointed but the Manchester event may be better? Let us know how you get on!

Wayne.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:27 pm
No longer waiting :-)

iamafish is an unknown quantity at this point

We went to a jobs seminar at Olympia a couple of years ago, and it was a complete waste of money. It promised lots of employers and recruiters, but we got round all the stands in under 10 minutes, and realised that there was nothing there that was going to be any help to us, and I'm in IT and hubby is a carpenter!

We have been to a couple of the Emigrate shows at Sandown, and they have been quite useful from a networking/factfinding point-of-view. We've always found we could learn more from speaking to the province/county representatives rather than the immigration brokers.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamafish
We went to a jobs seminar at Olympia a couple of years ago, and it was a complete waste of money. It promised lots of employers and recruiters, but we got round all the stands in under 10 minutes, and realised that there was nothing there that was going to be any help to us, and I'm in IT and hubby is a carpenter!

We have been to a couple of the Emigrate shows at Sandown, and they have been quite useful from a networking/factfinding point-of-view. We've always found we could learn more from speaking to the province/county representatives rather than the immigration brokers.
Yeah the first show we went to around Feb 2009 had loads of provincial representatives and tourist board people, it was very useful. They even had a representative from London CHC.

Just can't remember the name of the company that did it! (wish I could).

Wayne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.