Canada immigration

Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

leafsfan1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada immigration

Hi

Im a UK Citizen

I would like to move to Canada to work for a year so i understand the IEC would be the visa to go for.

I am 21 and currently work in retail since leaving high school , i was planning to go over and find work in alberta in the oil sands as a labourer or maybe some other province like ontario and be a labourer on a construction site , and hopefully work my way up.

I was thinking of doing the IEC for 1 year and then reapplying 9-10 months in for another IEC (I can understand you can only do 2).

Towards the end of the 2nd year of IEC i would like to stay , and eventually become a PR , so im not sure as to what is the best way to do this.

Also if i were to work and gain certificates on the job for certain trades would that be allowed on a IEC visa ? , also if i were offered a apprenticeship after a few months of being in Canada on the first IEC would that mean a change in visa ?

Would i be eligible for PR through having a job offer (or does this have to be a skilled worker job offer) , or the Canadian Experience Class , Or would i be looking towards a TWP then going for PR ?

Is there any good certificates to go to Canada with to help your CV , i was thinking of doing a first aid course

If anyone could provide us with some answers it would be very much appreciated.

leafsfan1
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:26 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada immigration

Hi

Originally Posted by leafsfan1
Hi

Im a UK Citizen

I would like to move to Canada to work for a year so i understand the IEC would be the visa to go for.

I am 21 and currently work in retail since leaving high school , i was planning to go over and find work in alberta in the oil sands as a labourer or maybe some other province like ontario and be a labourer on a construction site , and hopefully work my way up.

I was thinking of doing the IEC for 1 year and then reapplying 9-10 months in for another IEC (I can understand you can only do 2).

Towards the end of the 2nd year of IEC i would like to stay , and eventually become a PR , so im not sure as to what is the best way to do this.

Also if i were to work and gain certificates on the job for certain trades would that be allowed on a IEC visa ? , also if i were offered a apprenticeship after a few months of being in Canada on the first IEC would that mean a change in visa ?

Would i be eligible for PR through having a job offer (or does this have to be a skilled worker job offer) , or the Canadian Experience Class , Or would i be looking towards a TWP then going for PR ?

Is there any good certificates to go to Canada with to help your CV , i was thinking of doing a first aid course

If anyone could provide us with some answers it would be very much appreciated.

leafsfan1
1. The first IEC has to expire, before you can activate a 2nd one.
2. You can work at whatever you wish on an IEC, other than jobs that require a medical.
3. The job offer has to be skilled in NOC A, B or O. In some provinces PNPs you can get a nomination with a lower skill occupation.
4. For CEC you require 2 full years of skilled work, a labourer job won't cut it.
5. No, certificates won't help, but you should have your C.V. modified to a Resume. Do a search on the forum.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The first IEC has to expire, before you can activate a 2nd one.
2. You can work at whatever you wish on an IEC, other than jobs that require a medical.
3. The job offer has to be skilled in NOC A, B or O. In some provinces PNPs you can get a nomination with a lower skill occupation.
4. For CEC you require 2 full years of skilled work, a labourer job won't cut it.
5. No, certificates won't help, but you should have your C.V. modified to a Resume. Do a search on the forum.
Thanks for the quick reply it was much appreciated

After reading your post i have a few more ?s if you dont mind.

1. When the first IEC expires is there a way to renew or apply for a new one without having to go back to the UK , is there as big as a wait for the 2nd one as the first one would of took in UK (3 months)

2.Whats the reason behind not being allowed to go for jobs which may require a medical ?

3. The PNP scheme seems good ive had a quick look at it , so in a nutshell you apply for the province to support you > they support your application for PR > Then CIC decide. (Are there many of these given out and are the acceptance rates high or low)

4.I see so C.E.C seems to be out of the window then , i was planning to start off as a labourer and then work my way up to get a job with a title , What would you say would be the better option do 2 years of IEC then apply through PNP or obtain a TWP , or do 1 year of IEC and go for the TWP or PNP.

5.ive had a look at the canadian resume style

6.When working on the job if i were taught something and got a certificate as a part of completing a part of on the job training would that be ok . Like learning how to drive a forklift or being trained in other parts of the job like ,health & safety training,or being trained how to use a certain piece of equipment a bit like a worker development programme ?

7. I noticed that the 2nd half of the year is where there are less numbers of PNP's to be rewarded , if i were to do a 2nd year of IEC could i apply for a PNP whilst on a IEC , same goes for a TWP ?

What would be the most simple way of going about it.

leafsfan1

Last edited by leafsfan1; Sep 21st 2011 at 10:44 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply it was much appreciated

After reading your post i have a few more ?s if you dont mind.

1. When the first IEC expires is there a way to renew or apply for a new one without having to go back to the UK , is there as big as a wait for the 2nd one as the first one would of took in UK (3 months)

2.Whats the reason behind not being allowed to go for jobs which may require a medical ?

3. The PNP scheme seems good ive had a quick look at it , so in a nutshell you apply for the province to support you > they support your application for PR > Then CIC decide. (Are there many of these given out and are the acceptance rates high or low)

4.I see so C.E.C seems to be out of the window then , i was planning to start off as a labourer and then work my way up to get a job with a title , What would you say would be the better option do 2 years of IEC then apply through PNP or obtain a TWP , or do 1 year of IEC and go for the TWP or PNP.

5.ive had a look at the canadian resume style

6.When working on the job if i were taught something and got a certificate as a part of completing a part of on the job training would that be ok . Like learning how to drive a forklift or being trained in other parts of the job like ,health & safety training,or being trained how to use a certain piece of equipment a bit like a worker development programme ?

7. I noticed that the 2nd half of the year is where there are less numbers of PNP's to be rewarded , if i were to do a 2nd year of IEC could i apply for a PNP whilst on a IEC , same goes for a TWP ?

What would be the most simple way of going about it.

leafsfan1
1. You can apply for the second one while in Canada, CHC will send the Letter of Introduction and you go to the border and "flagpole" to activate it.
2. Protection of the health of Canadians. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work-faq12.asp
3. Usually your application is supported by an employer. Each province has their own quota.
4. You have to check the criteria for each Provincial program. No 2 are the same. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
5. You can gain any certificate you want while at the job, you just can study full time or take a course longer than 6 months.
6. You realize that without a degree or an occupation in demand or an apprenticeship, you may find it difficult to qualify under the points?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Canada immigration

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. You can apply for the second one while in Canada, CHC will send the Letter of Introduction and you go to the border and "flagpole" to activate it.
2. Protection of the health of Canadians. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work-faq12.asp
3. Usually your application is supported by an employer. Each province has their own quota.
4. You have to check the criteria for each Provincial program. No 2 are the same. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
5. You can gain any certificate you want while at the job, you just can study full time or take a course longer than 6 months.
6. You realize that without a degree or an occupation in demand or an apprenticeship, you may find it difficult to qualify under the points?
1.Does it mean you cant learn/study continuously for more than 6 months or your study period totalled up cant go over 6 months.

Do you need to do the points if you are applying for a TWP inside Canada , i just see this on there site and it doesnt seem to mention points

Eligibility to apply from inside Canada
You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

•you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
•you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
•you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or
•you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.
You must also have the following documents:

•a job offer from a Canadian employer
•a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
•written confirmation from HRSDC that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
◦In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.
◦In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)
You must also do the following:

•Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your work permit.
•Show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
•Respect the law and have no criminal record. (You may have to provide a police clearance certificate. See Police Certificates for more information.
•Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada.
•Be in good health. (You may have to have a medical examination.)

You also mentioned that you cant work in jobs that require a medical though i noticed on the FAQ's on the Canada UK IEC site it says these professions require medicals , have they changed it so you can go for all other jobs that require a medical other than the ones mentioned below .

What kind of jobs can I hold with the work permit issued under IEC? Are there restrictions on the duration of the employment contracts, the language of the workplace, the location or the number of employers I can have?

No. The work permit issued under the IEC initiative is valid for any type of job. This is regardless of the duration of the contract, the language or the location. There are no restrictions on the total number of employers for whom you can work within the 12 month period either. Please be advised that if you wish to work in the fields of health sciences, clinical laboratory workers, patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes, teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children, domestic work, workers who can give in-home care to children/elderly/disabled persons, or day nursery workers, you will be required to have a medical examination and submit a medical report to CIC as part of your application. If this is the case you will be contacted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada when they are reviewing your application. Please note you need to allow additional processing time for your application in cases where a medical examination is required.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the reply , i also forgot to add when one is going to apply for another IEC is it one of the immigration offices you obtain the letter of introduction and then you can activate it the same day ?

Thanks again

leafsfan1
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

1.Does it mean you cant learn/study continuously for more than 6 months or your study period totalled up cant go over 6 months.
You can study on short courses, but nothing that would be longer than six months. So a few evening classes or a couple of on the job training courses are fine, anything else and you'd need a study permit which would be the appropriate visa rather than a WHV.

Do you need to do the points if you are applying for a TWP inside Canada , i just see this on there site and it doesnt seem to mention points
There's no points requirement for a TWP, PMM was referring to a PR application. For a TWP you need a LMO, but it's when you come to apply for PR that you'll usually need a certain level of education and a skilled job offer. The problem will be that, as PMM has said, a labourer or shop assistant is unlikely to qualify you for PR.

You also mentioned that you cant work in jobs that require a medical
I believe you can, but you'd just need to allow an extra few months processing time for the medical etc.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Proof of Funds

If a third party provides funding to support me during my stay in Canada I must provide, among other documents, a photocopy of an identity document showing this party’s signature. What types of identity documents will be accepted by the IEC?

If a third party will support you financially during your stay in Canada, along with the other documents you must submit with your application, only a photocopy of the identification page of this party's valid passport showing the signature will be accepted.

I do not currently have the sufficient amount of funding to support the first three months of my stay in Canada as per the eligibility criteria of the IEC. Must I have the full amount in my account at the time of application? Will a letter stating that I will have the required amount by the date of my departure be sufficient?

You must have the required amount of funding as of the date of submission of your application. You may not submit a letter stating you will have sufficient funding by the time of your departure as a substitute for the proof of funds, or else your application will be refused.

Also, please note that if you are currently participating in the Working Holiday in Canada and are employed at the time you submit a new application, a letter from your employer stating you earn sufficient wages to support yourself financially will not be accepted as a substitute for the proof of funds.

My banking institution has informed me they will not provide a bank statement and are refusing to sign and date the document. What can I submit as a substitute with my IEC application?

If your banking institution will not provide you with a dated and signed bank statement that demonstrates you have the required funding to support yourself financially, you may submit the following as proof of funds:

•A letter on official letterhead from your banking institution that clearly shows your account balance, signed, dated, and preferably stamped.
Please note you must submit the original letter provided to you by your banking institution with your IEC application, not a photocopy

I understand you need to have $3000 (around about £1900) at time of application , Is it ok if my parents contribute some money to my trip and put it in my bank account so when i apply i have the correct amount.

Also it says when you arrive you should apply for a SIN card it says you can get it on the same day or a few days later from application , when it means a few days later do they post it to you or do you collect it from there office ?

Im not sure if it varies from bank to bank but what documents are required to setup a bank account in Canada.

Last edited by leafsfan1; Oct 6th 2011 at 7:56 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Also forgot to add do you need to have travel insurance when you apply or can you wait until you have the visa ?