Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada Express Entry - What is the NOC Code for Business Intelligence Analyst?

Canada Express Entry - What is the NOC Code for Business Intelligence Analyst?

Old Jul 17th 2021, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Efraim27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada Express Entry - What is the NOC Code for Business Intelligence Analyst?

Hello,

I'm having a difficult time identifying the NOC code for my position. I have one year of work experience as a Business Intelligence Analyst at a media company.

I build and analyze weekly/monthly data reports containing the performance of certain video content for the management team (ex: how many people have clicked content XYZ, how many people have become a premium user this week, etc.) I also develop and update data dashboards using SQL and Tableau so the internal teams can use them for their day-to-day task. I don't do ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load).

Basically, my daily responsibility is to pull the data from the database using SQL or Tableau, analyze the data, and present the findings to the internal teams.

Based on the info I've provided above, is my NOC 2172 or 1122?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 17th 2021, 3:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Express Entry - What is the NOC Code for Business Intelligence Analys

Hello and welcome to BE

To claim an NOC - what's important is what you do in the daily job and the duties of it rather than the title.

You need to look at each NOC code and see which of the 'main duties' you do the most of. For you to claim an NOC code you'll need to prove you do at least half of the 'main duties', and meet the criteria in the opening paragraph.

I think that Business Intelligence Analyst (basically web analyst) is probably classified as 'Database analysts and data administrators (NOC 2172)' - so check those against the criteria. I don't believe it would be classed as a professional business management position
https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...rOS5q5zkKmI%3D
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...11&CLV=3&MLV=4

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 17th 2021 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Efraim27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada Express Entry - What is the NOC Code for Business Intelligence Analys

Hello Siouxie,

Thank you for your reply.

I've checked the Database Analyst position, and it seems that I only do 1-2 of the main duties. Would that be an issue?

Do I also need to use the same language as on the NOC site when writing my job descriptions on my resume?

Thanks again for your help
Old Jul 24th 2021, 9:33 am
Rhe
Forum Regular

Rhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about this one? https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...rOS5q5zkKmI%3D In particular this:
Information systems business analysts and consultants
  • Confer with clients to identify and document requirements
  • Conduct business and technical studies
  • Design, develop, integrate, test and implement information systems business solutions
  • Provide advice on information systems strategy, policy, management, security and service delivery.
My husband is in a similar role (processing data for analytics) but in the construction industry. It was tough to find a code that would fit his role - he used 1122 but he is a 'technology and innovation consultant' so goes to quite a few different companies and develops strategies around data so it was easy to fit with what he does.

Your job description won't be word for word the same as the description - it's your reference that needs to line up so we wrote a template using his original job description and re-worded bits to more easily recognise it as the NOC code and then my husband sent this to his boss who was happy to sign it. I will caveat we submitted in February and don't have PR yet so we aren't experts - just spent a long time stressing about this too! :
Old Jul 24th 2021, 3:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhe
Have you thought about this one? https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...rOS5q5zkKmI%3D In particular this:
Information systems business analysts and consultants
  • Confer with clients to identify and document requirements
  • Conduct business and technical studies
  • Design, develop, integrate, test and implement information systems business solutions
  • Provide advice on information systems strategy, policy, management, security and service delivery.
My husband is in a similar role (processing data for analytics) but in the construction industry. It was tough to find a code that would fit his role - he used 1122 but he is a 'technology and innovation consultant' so goes to quite a few different companies and develops strategies around data so it was easy to fit with what he does.

Your job description won't be word for word the same as the description - it's your reference that needs to line up so we wrote a template using his original job description and re-worded bits to more easily recognise it as the NOC code and then my husband sent this to his boss who was happy to sign it. I will caveat we submitted in February and don't have PR yet so we aren't experts - just spent a long time stressing about this too! :

Please be aware that to claim an NOC code you'll need to prove you do most (at least half) of the 'main duties', and meet the criteria in the opening paragraph.

You must show that while working in your primary occupation, you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.
They may also require your original contract of employment - i.e. 'job description' - not a made up one. If they determine that another NOC is a better fit or you have falsified information they may refuse your PR application. It's not a good idea to fabricate or 'edit / create' documentary proof required when it comes to RCIC - and not a good idea to encourage others to do the same.
Old Jul 24th 2021, 3:52 pm
Rhe
Forum Regular

Rhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond reputeRhe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Please be aware that to claim an NOC code you'll need to prove you do most (at least half) of the 'main duties', and meet the criteria in the opening paragraph.

They may also require your original contract of employment - i.e. 'job description' - not a made up one. If they determine that another NOC is a better fit or you have falsified information they may refuse your PR application. It's not a good idea to fabricate or 'edit / create' documentary proof required when it comes to RCIC - and not a good idea to encourage others to do the same.
In no way was I suggesting to falsify anything. The wording of a technical job description can be very hard for someone not in the industry to understand hence it is best to be clear and simplify the language if possible so that someone can interpret it - I'm certainly not saying to edit a formal JD or contract or make up responsibilities. However you need to include a role description in the reference and this is likely to be the most accurate description for anyone who has ever started a job and it has evolved into something more specific.I was simply suggesting, if your have the opportunity for your employee reference, to make sure the language is clearly translatable. My husbands role hits all elements of the NOC code he was employed under and we included the original job advert, his contract (which simply says he is a Senior Consultant) and the reference because the NOC code is incredibly generic.

So just to clarify for the OP - I highly recommend 'translating' your job description if you have the opportunity to in your reference so that, where complex language - which it normally is in tech jobs - is used which doesn't exactly say what is in the NOC code (because they are incredibly generic) it is probably worth reviewing the language - not make it up to match. Apologies, I thought that was very clear from my post. I do recommend looking at that NOC code though. Knowing exactly the role you are describing, I think it is a good fit whereby the 'Business Solutions' you are creating are the dashboards / analytics requested by your (internal) clients. .

And just to add further, it is recommended in many sources that if your employer is not really happy to draft out your whole role in a letter - as most bosses aren't because for anyone senior, their boss probably has no clue what they do - so we drafted the letter with the role description , sent it in a completely editable format to my husbands boss (as he himself had requested) and asked him to review and sign, if, and only if, he was happy with it. This is not falsifying any information. Everything we did, and recommend doing, is completely above board.