Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is this Canada ! Excellant medical System Part 2

Is this Canada ! Excellant medical System Part 2

Old Jun 12th 2001, 11:02 pm
Mecoolbaby

I am a landed immigrant from U.S.

1.) In Canada, I have been told that patients are sent home within one day
after surgery.

2.) Women are sent home within 2 days after baby delivery.

These are cost effective ways being adopted in canada. Well after all they do care
for Taxpayer money.

Please Note : Canada is the best place to live in the World. I love Canada

Old Jun 12th 2001, 11:36 pm
Greg_Del_Pilar

I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment, but I think comparing Canada's
healthcare system with that of the US is like comparing apples and oranges --- it
just doesn't make sense. Here in Canada, monthly premiums for healthcare coverage for
a family of four is less than CDN$75; in the US it's more than US$800.00 for Blue
Cross. I don't mind if I get sent home a day after a surgery, for as long as I get
treated and I get well (all for about $25.00 per month).

Just a thought ...

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 13th 2001, 12:55 am
HG

>
    >
    >
    >

You've been told wrong.

>

Sometimes.

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 13th 2001, 11:15 am
jacq bergshoeff

here in Holland we deliver the babies at home, and when the baby is born in hospital
you are back home within 24 hours. Delivering babies is no disease , you know !

Mecoolbaby wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 13th 2001, 1:04 pm
Simson Alex

jacq bergshoeff wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hey! That's the way it should be (unless complications are expected, ofcourse). I was
born at home, and I turned out ok (or atleast I think so . Do you have a doctor or
nurse to supervise?

Simson

Old Jun 13th 2001, 3:52 pm
tonnie

[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> here in Holland we deliver the babies at home, and when the baby is born in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> hospital you are back home within 24 hours. Delivering babies is no disease ,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> you know ![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
usually a midwife - and/or your familydoctor. and hardly any painkillers or
whatsoever, giving birth is natural, the pain is only temporarily. and yes, i am
dutch, although my son was born in tunisia, north-africa. planned to deliver at home,
but had to go to the hospital because he was premature. i left the hospital the day
after, and got no painkillers either. it's just hard work <g

Old Jun 14th 2001, 6:01 am
Gary L. Dare

I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment, but I think comparing
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Do you live in Alberta? Most other provinces have absorbed health premiums into their
general revenue streams. Alberta levies a token premium to remind people that it
isn't really free.

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Jun 14th 2001, 6:03 am
Gary L. Dare

I am a landed immigrant from U.S.

>
    >

>

You must have left before the HMO scourge made drive-through deliveries (I've heard
of colleagues going through in 24-36 hours - those suckers who took the HMO option,
that is). 2 days is what you get in a better PPO in the US these days. And PPO is the
closest US analogue to how thing work in Canada.

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Jun 14th 2001, 7:37 am
bobnlara

my aunt who is working in social services in California told me that they are already
implementing Healthy Families which is like Canada's health care system. Like
families pay some certain amount per month based on their incomes.

I guess they got the idea from Canada huh?

But anyhow... I wouldnt complain with the health care system as long as they provide
the necessary treatment ontime.

One such booboo was the news about a pregnant lady in SUrrey BC who last her child
because the hospital wouldn't do a surgery on her even if they knew that her baby was
already overdue.

Nasty!

>
    >
and
    >
for
    >
it's
    >
    >
about
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I am a landed immigrant from U.S.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1.) In Canada, I have been told that patients are sent home within one day after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > surgery.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2.) Women are sent home within 2 days after baby delivery.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > These are cost effective ways being adopted in canada. Well after all they do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > care for Taxpayer money.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please Note : Canada is the best place to live in the World. I love Canada[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 14th 2001, 1:38 pm
David Faught

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 1.) In Canada, I have been told that patients are sent home within one day after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2.) Women are sent home within 2 days after baby delivery.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > These are cost effective ways being adopted in canada. Well after all they do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > care for Taxpayer money.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please Note : Canada is the best place to live in the World. I love Canada[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 15th 2001, 11:13 am
Jason Cormier

>
    >
care
    >
    >
    >

More likely from Japan. Everyone pays monthly premiums based on their previous year's
income (with a minimum amount for those without income). On top of that they also pay
a percentage (10-30%) of each visit. (Note that billed costs, except for drugs, are
generally lower than in Canada and the US.)

Old Jun 20th 2001, 3:31 pm
J.J.

>
    >
    >
    >

Depends on the surgery.

I mean, if you've gone in for something that won't require further looking over, when
all you're going to do the rest of the day is sleep off the drugs, and all that's
necessary is the next morning a quick looksee at the incisions to double check ...
then why would you have to stay overnight and take up one of their beds? They keep
you in for a # of hours after the surgery, wait until they feel you have recovered
enough that you will be in no danger, and in most cases you are required to have a
'responsible adult' with you to take you home even if you are taking a cab or they
won't let you go.

If you require monitoring by a health care professional, you stay in. If all you need
is someone to wake you up and make sure you take your pain pills and make sure you
eat something, and if anything goes wrong someone to get you back to the hospital
that very moment ... why stay?

I'll go back to lurking now. Just had too many surgeries (and am dealing with a
roomie who just went through day surgery and is cranky but fine) to not comment.

Jessie

(disclaimer : I am not a doctor, I just play-act one when the recovering roomie
complains *G*)

Old Jun 26th 2001, 1:23 am
Chip Campbell

Shorter hospital stays have been a trend in Canada and the U.S. (and I've assumed,
most of the western world) for years now. A lot of surgery today involves NO nights
of hospital stay. I had tendon work on my wrist (at Stanford Medical Center, no
Canadian medicare to blame), general anaesthetic and all, and didn't spend a night
in hospital.

The cost savings in shorter stays are large and many patients appreciate being back
in familiar surroundings (with edible food). It works well if the patient recovers as
expected and has someone at home to keep an eye on them.

But for many elderly and live-alones, it's a big potential problem. Also worth
considering: Canadian medicare covers prescriptions for you as a hospital in-patient,
but not once you're out the hospital door. If you don't have prescription drug
insurance coverage, that can hurt.

Are Canadian hospital-stay figures much different than for U.S. HMO/PPO patients?
I've been trying to find a web site that summarizes but don't see anything offhand.
It's the kind of thing ICES would know (www.ices.on.ca) but their links are broken at
the moment. At http://www.ahsr.org/annual/annual_1996/16_he/108.htm is a 5 year old
paper that shows rather LONGER stays in Ontario than in the U.S. for certain knee
surgery. The NEJM article
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/search?s...&firstpage=772 agrees, but
it's even older.

Chip San Francisco

>
    >
[...]