Wikiposts

Canada ETA

Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada ETA

Proposed ETA regulations have been published in the Canada gazette in June - I missed it completely?

Highlights:

1. From April 2015, every foreign national who is visa-exempt for temporary stays who travels to Canada by air will now have to apply for (and be granted) electronic travel authorization on the CIC website.

2. Cost $7 valid for five years.

3. Exceptions: US Nationals, people holding a valid visa or permit, and countless others (e.g. diplomats, flight crew, the Queen, etc) (I find it interesting that the Queen of Canada is not Canadian and is treated as a TRV-exempt foreign national?)

Proposed regulations
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada ETA

Oh, and it's estimated that 3 million visitors per year will use ETA. They all need to apply on the CIC website.

What could possibly go wrong?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Proposed ETA regulations have been published in the Canada gazette in June - I missed it completely?

Highlights:

1. From April 2015, every foreign national who is visa-exempt for temporary stays who travels to Canada by air will now have to apply for (and be granted) electronic travel authorization on the CIC website.

2. Cost $7 valid for five years.

3. Exceptions: US Nationals, people holding a valid visa or permit, and countless others (e.g. diplomats, flight crew, the Queen, etc) (I find it interesting that the Queen of Canada is not Canadian and is treated as a http://britishexpats.com/forum/image....gifTRV-exempt foreign national?)

Proposed regulations
is it still in the status of "proposed" or is this a law which has been passed?

the Queen is actually the head of Canada, so she should be exempt. During her absence in Canada she is represented by the governor general. However this raises an interesting question: Is Queen Elisabeth 2nd also a Canadian citizen? Or is she "just" a British citizen, but as sovereign over Canada allowed to reign and visit or stay in the country?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
is it still in the status of "proposed" or is this a law which has been passed?

the Queen is actually the head of Canada, so she should be exempt. During her absence in Canada she is represented by the governor general. However this raises an interesting question: Is Queen Elisabeth 2nd also a Canadian citizen? Or is she "just" a British citizen, but as sovereign over Canada allowed to reign and visit or stay in the country?
Still working its way through Parliament. Im guessing Liz is not a Canadian citizen and requires a passport to enter Canada but exempt the ETA when it becomes law. There again the chances of someone like me checking and stamping her passport and asking if she has ever been arrested, charged or convicted of an offence is somewhat remote but definitely doable if I fancy a posting to the high arctic.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The chances of you checking and stamping the Queen's passport are very remote... as the she doesn't hold a passport ! Her international travels are always passport-free.

Apparently all British passports are (formally) a request by the monarch. It wouldn't make sense for the Queen to sign a request for herself... she always requests personally at the border
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
The nationality status of the Queen of Canada is not specifically defined in Canadian law. However it is difficult to see how a reigning monarch could be deemed anything other than Canadian. However, this is not the same as statutory Canadian citizenship, since it would terminate upon ceasing to be Queen and does not inherently pass on to subsequent generations.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Still working its way through Parliament. Im guessing Liz is not a Canadian citizen and requires a passport to enter Canada but exempt the ETA when it becomes law. There again the chances of someone like me checking and stamping her passport and asking if she has ever been arrested, charged or convicted of an offence is somewhat remote but definitely doable if I fancy a posting to the high arctic.
As far as I know the Queen doesn't even have a passport and also no driver's license, even though she can drive. However, I also don't know what kind of travel document she requires when she actually travels. The Queen's travels might also only be "by invitation only" ? - however within the Commonwealth it might again be different. Prince Charles and all the other members of the royal family do have passports.

As far as I know, Canadian citizens would be exempt from ETA, since section 6 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms regulates, that Canadians can enter, be absent or reside and settle within Canada where they please. However, that doesn't exempt us from having to answer possible questions by officers at the border.... :-)

Last edited by Cabbagetown; Oct 16th 2014 at 8:05 am.