Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

In-Canada Common-Law Sponsorship + Work Permit?

In-Canada Common-Law Sponsorship + Work Permit?

Old Dec 23rd 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of
Default In-Canada Common-Law Sponsorship + Work Permit?

One last question I promise.

I'm about to send off an In-Canada Common-Law Sponsorship package to CIC and am wondering which form needs to be included to ensure I receive an open work permit after 9-10 months?

I can find the one for applying for a work permit OUTSIDE Canada (IMM1295), but not INSIDE

And that will be it I swear.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In-Canada Common-Law Sponsorship + Work Permit?

Got to ask, why are you doing an inland application? Outland is much, much quicker and you'd have PR in a few months if your case is straightforward. I'm sure you've got a good reason, but just wondered as it's so unusual!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 23rd 2010 at 10:22 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 10:53 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
One last question I promise.

I'm about to send off an In-Canada Common-Law Sponsorship package to CIC and am wondering which form needs to be included to ensure I receive an open work permit after 9-10 months?

I can find the one for applying for a work permit OUTSIDE Canada (IMM1295), but not INSIDE

And that will be it I swear.
Do you need a work permit after 9 - 10 months? I ask as you should have PR by that time and with PR comes the ability to work without a work permit.

Perhaps I'm missing something though.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 6:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Do you need a work permit after 9 - 10 months? I ask as you should have PR by that time and with PR comes the ability to work without a work permit.

Perhaps I'm missing something though.
If he applies inland, then the whole processing time is around a year or so, hence the need for the work permit. But as I said, if he does an outland application, he should have PR way before that anyway.

Old Dec 25th 2010, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of

Right, but if I do outland I get PR in 4 + 9 months, whereas if I do Inland I get PR in about 9 + 9 months but, BUT can get a work permit when first stage processing is complete in 9 months.

So will be able to get an open work permit sooner.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Right, but if I do outland I get PR in 4 + 9 months, whereas if I do Inland I get PR in about 9 + 9 months but, BUT can get a work permit when first stage processing is complete in 9 months.

So will be able to get an open work permit sooner.
What does the 4+9 months bit mean? If you apply outland you should have Permanent Residency after approx 3 months. There are various people on the forum who have had it in 2 months or so recently, it's very quick and a much better route than doing an inland application unless you have a specific reason for choosing inland. The pro's and con's of both are in the Wiki article about spousal sponsorship.

Old Dec 31st 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Three months?

According to the CIC website i'm looking at 44 days to get Step 1 completed, followed by 9 months for the part done in Britain.

If we're going anecdotal by friend just went through the spousal sponsorship route and it took around 9 months.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

According to the CIC website i'm looking at 44 days to get Step 1 completed, followed by 9 months for the part done in Britain.
And we all know how accurate the times on the CIC website are!

Check out the spousal sponsorship timeline thread on here to see how long it's taking at the mo - recently, people have had PR in as little as 2 months. Of course, yours may not be that quick, but it would certainly be a lot quicker than an inland application (assuming your circumstances are not complicated etc).