Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can you work on a TWP while waiting for PR?

Can you work on a TWP while waiting for PR?

Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you work on a TWP while waiting for PR?

Hey everyone

Just wanted to get something clear. I know you can apply for PR status whilst you are still in England and get it before you go over there (That's one option)

Can you do this and meanwhile go over on a TWP? and then the PR application keeps going through?

Just wondering what happens once you have a job offer but the company doesn't want to wait for the time it takes to get PR? would most not want you over there asap? or would you go over there on TWP and then apply once you are there.

When you go over on TWP don't you have to tell immigration that you are intending to come back when it runs out? what if you are going to do your best to get PR?

Thanks x
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you work on a TWP while waiting for PR?

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Can you do this and meanwhile go over on a TWP? and then the PR application keeps going through?
Yes, no problems. There are quite a few people on this forum who have gone over on a TWP whilst awaiting PR.

Just wondering what happens once you have a job offer but the company doesn't want to wait for the time it takes to get PR? would most not want you over there asap? or would you go over there on TWP and then apply once you are there.
Yes, as you say, most companies won't wait the 18 months or so for you to start work if you are just applying for PR, which is why a lot of people go over on a TWP first to get there quicker.

When you go over on TWP don't you have to tell immigration that you are intending to come back when it runs out? what if you are going to do your best to get PR?
If asked (unlikely) you'd just say that if your PR application is refused, you'd be returning to the UK.

Do you have a way of applying for PR from the UK, or do you need a job offer? If so, you wouldn't be applying until after you are in Canada anyway.

Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I've started so I will finish.... What on earth are you doing out of bed? aren't you 7 hours behind the UK? wasn't expecting a reply from you for a while!

No we need a job offer before we go. Thanks for the clarification.

This whole going over on a TWP gives me the jitters... I am a plan, plan, plan and then plan if plan A goes wrong kind of person.

One extra question.... Why could we not apply for PR as soon as we get a job offer (ie in the time it takes us to get over there on a TWP)??? Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've started so I will finish.... What on earth are you doing out of bed? aren't you 7 hours behind the UK? wasn't expecting a reply from you for a while!
Ah, but I'm in the UK! Lived in Canada previously, but in the UK for now.

One extra question.... Why could we not apply for PR as soon as we get a job offer (ie in the time it takes us to get over there on a TWP)??? Thanks
What visa route are you planning on for PR? If it's Skilled Worker cat 2, then you must either have an AEO (takes 6 months to obtain, so means an employer waiting 18 months or so for you to be able to start work), or to have a valid TWP (which you won't get until you arrive in Canada). For PNP, you must also have a valid TWP and be working in the province that will nominate you.

Hence why normally, you would only apply for PR from the UK if you don't require a job offer for a visa.

HTH.

Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, but I'm in the UK! Lived in Canada previously, but in the UK for now.

Oh I see - are you planning on going back?

What visa route are you planning on for PR? If it's Skilled Worker cat 2, then you must either have an AEO (takes 6 months to obtain, so means an employer waiting 18 months or so for you to be able to start work), or to have a valid TWP (which you won't get until you arrive in Canada). For PNP, you must also have a valid TWP and be working in the province that will nominate you.

Hence why normally, you would only apply for PR from the UK if you don't require a job offer for a visa.

Oh I see... I think it's becoming clear now...

HTH.

It does thanks.

Wohoo!!! I can do the quote thing! Lets see if it's done it right!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Wohoo!!! I can do the quote thing! Lets see if it's done it right!
Um clearly it hasn't!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Um clearly it hasn't!

Just copy and paste it all, then you can delete any bits that aren't relevant for each 'quote'. That's how I do it anyway!