British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Can we really do this. Overwhelmed newbie with info overload. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/can-we-really-do-overwhelmed-newbie-info-overload-918473/)

Toothless Oct 21st 2018 7:16 am

Re: Can we really do this. Overwhelmed newbie with info overload.

As a high school teacher, we have over 180 international students registered with us every year. Having a Canadian education certainly adds an additional bonus to your immigration process. Many of these students will stay and complete their High School diploma and then attend university here as well. They then apply to be a permanent resident as they have both the education and work experience.
Canni ask which university you are applying for?

Rabbithole Oct 21st 2018 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Toothless (Post 12580995)
As a high school teacher, we have over 180 international students registered with us every year. Having a Canadian education certainly adds an additional bonus to your immigration process. Many of these students will stay and complete their High School diploma and then attend university here as well. They then apply to be a permanent resident as they have both the education and work experience.
Canni ask which university you are applying for?

Such an amazing country to offer so many wonderful opportunities.

Im thinking of a college in Ontario that offers an Ontario College Diploma in Business, I’m just finishing up an NVQ3 here in the UK so business or business marketing would be a good follow on step. Mohawk looks good for us in terms of location and schools for my son. It’s all such a minefield at present, as well as learning about the immigration process, I’m also getting to grips with the education process as well.

Siouxie Oct 21st 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Rabbithole (Post 12581016)

Such an amazing country to offer so many wonderful opportunities.

Im thinking of a college in Ontario that offers an Ontario College Diploma in Business, I’m just finishing up an NVQ3 here in the UK so business or business marketing would be a good follow on step. Mohawk looks good for us in terms of location and schools for my son. It’s all such a minefield at present, as well as learning about the immigration process, I’m also getting to grips with the education process as well.

Do make sure that any college that you apply to is on the designated learning institute list, otherwise you a) may not get a study permit and also do check that you will be able to obtain a PGWP after graduation from the one you choose.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ions-list.html

As an aside, Mohawk is just up the road from me and is a very popular college for further education. As to schools in the vicinity - all schools are much of a muchness on 'the Mountain' - rentals though vary depending on which side of Upper James you live on (the East side is less expensive than the West) :)

Before you do down that route, please check to see if your husband could perhaps get sufficient points to apply as the lead applicant - or perhaps a job offer (what is it he does?) it would be a far cheaper way for you to be here (and you could go to college as a local for far less money!).. saving the money for the move itself. As to the agent that you had a chat with, you do well to avoid that particular gentleman .. just do a search for his name on here! :)

Toothless Oct 21st 2018 12:06 pm

As every Province and Territory have different standards of education I can’t help with anything unless it’s BC or Alberta, as these two very similar paths. You’re best ensuring the the university offering the course, is an accepted establishment should you wish to further your application to permanent resident. Some are more college than university.
Good luck.

Rabbithole Oct 22nd 2018 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12581071)
Do make sure that any college that you apply to is on the designated learning institute list, otherwise you a) may not get a study permit and also do check that you will be able to obtain a PGWP after graduation from the one you choose.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ions-list.html

As an aside, Mohawk is just up the road from me and is a very popular college for further education. As to schools in the vicinity - all schools are much of a muchness on 'the Mountain' - rentals though vary depending on which side of Upper James you live on (the East side is less expensive than the West) :)

thank you for the link, I’ve checked and the college is on the list, the course I would like to take accepts international students.

So pleased to have found someone local to where we are thinking, we originally wanted to stay Niagara-on-the-Lake but the college there has nothing I’d be interested in studying sadly. We are looking at Ancaster area, I’m thinking that’s local enough to college, enroute to Toronto and also near to a school I have my eye on for my eldest.

Siouxie Oct 22nd 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Rabbithole (Post 12581490)

thank you for the link, I’ve checked and the college is on the list, the course I would like to take accepts international students.

So pleased to have found someone local to where we are thinking, we originally wanted to stay Niagara-on-the-Lake but the college there has nothing I’d be interested in studying sadly. We are looking at Ancaster area, I’m thinking that’s local enough to college, enroute to Toronto and also near to a school I have my eye on for my eldest.

Ancaster is lovely - but very expensive and you'll struggle to find a house or apartment to rent, there's a limited bus service from Ancaster to Mohawk (and takes a fair while) and the parking fees are steep if you were planning on driving; you would be better to either be 'down in the City' or else remain on 'the mountain' where there are bus links in every direction. As to the school for your eldest, do be aware that it's catchment areas here - just like the UK - and you will need to be living within a designated area, not just 'near to'. Tthe schools on 'the mountain' / Ancaster / Dundas are much of a muchness - there isn't the big difference in schools like the UK.

If you'd like to post a new thread on the main Canada forum I'll be happy to give any help or advice I can :)

Rabbithole Oct 22nd 2018 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12581527)

If you'd like to post a new thread on the main Canada forum I'll be happy to give any help or advice I can :)

I will definitely post a new thread, as soon as my college placement becomes 100% I’ll post so
etjing up. I’m planning on travelling over at the end of March to get to grips on the area, layout, feel so will definitely be looking for advice so I can utilise my time once there. It’s easy looking on a map but I never considered things like parking fees or bus routes :)

thanks so much once again.

Siouxie Oct 22nd 2018 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Rabbithole (Post 12581532)

I will definitely post a new thread, as soon as my college placement becomes 100% I’ll post so
etjing up. I’m planning on travelling over at the end of March to get to grips on the area, layout, feel so will definitely be looking for advice so I can utilise my time once there. It’s easy looking on a map but I never considered things like parking fees or bus routes :)

thanks so much once again.

Good thinking :)

Before you get too deep into the process, do check that you are likely to be able to get sufficient points (perhaps after a year of working in Canada) to be in with a chance of obtaining PR.. it would be awful to spend a quite significant amount of money on a certificate if it won't lead you to what you are hoping.

Also bear in mind it's not just the fees that you must show proof of having - you must also show sufficient funds to support yourself and your family for a year.

Has your husband checked his CRS points as of now and the likelihood of employment on an OWP?

Rabbithole Oct 22nd 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12581544)

Has your husband checked his CRS points as of now and the likelihood of employment on an OWP?

Not yet, he’s going to do it before we go any further with the study route though, he was quite disheartened as our score (when run through via the consultant) was low which was mainly due to age and qualifications.

Siouxie Oct 22nd 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Rabbithole (Post 12581546)

Not yet, he’s going to do it before we go any further with the study route though, he was quite disheartened as our score (when run through via the consultant) was low which was mainly due to age and qualifications.

Yes, good idea - better to have an idea of where you are at now and what points you might have after a year of working in Canada (and also studying, for you). You should use the wizard taking each of you as the principal applicant in turn and doing it 'as of now' and 'as of a year after working in Canada'.
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

The one area that is easiest to improve is on IELTS - assume you have top marks for now (and if you don't yet, you can work towards it).

There seem to be a fair few jobs going in 'International Sales' - and if your husband has significant experience, would it be worth his while exploring potential employers here? Canada is the land of 'who you know' and 'networking' - so if he has any contacts who may have contacts in Canada do tell him to utilise them - and if he has a LinkedIn page, get him to update it and network on there too.

:)

DigitalGhost Oct 22nd 2018 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Rabbithole (Post 12581546)

Don't be too disheartened. Even if you don't qualify for any other route and have to take the study path, I think there should be a few avenues to PR potentially available to you or your husband provided that he qualifies for a spousal OWP and can secure work in his field and/or you can get a post-study work permit and some good paid experience after earning your qualification.

Rabbithole Oct 22nd 2018 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12581593)
Don't be too disheartened. Even if you don't qualify for any other route and have to take the study path, I think there should be a few avenues to PR potentially available to you or your husband provided that he qualifies for a spousal OWP and can secure work in his field and/or you can get a post-study work permit and some good paid experience after earning your qualification.

thank you for this, felt a little disheartened for a while there. Had a look at our scores and they do fall short (even if we added a job offer onto them) so the study route sadly looks our only option.

DigitalGhost Oct 22nd 2018 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rabbithole (Post 12581671)

thank you for this, felt a little disheartened for a while there. Had a look at our scores and they do fall short (even if we added a job offer onto them) so the study route sadly looks our only option.

What is your predicted CRS score? It might not be as much of a lost cause as you think.

Rabbithole Oct 22nd 2018 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12581710)
What is your predicted CRS score? It might not be as much of a lost cause as you think.

it looks as though we could score 63 if we maxed on the language and my husband got a job offer.

DigitalGhost Oct 22nd 2018 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rabbithole (Post 12581721)
it looks as though we could score 63 if we maxed on the language and my husband got a job offer.

Ah OK then you are indeed failing at the first hurdle unfortunately. You need a 67 on that test to even be assessed against the CRS criteria for FSW.

I think your best bet may be the student option and then try to secure PR based off of your husband's Canadian work experience via the experience class 1-2 years down the line, assuming he can secure and maintain a job in his field.