Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can spouse change last name (surname) during landing?

Can spouse change last name (surname) during landing?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

saloneboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can spouse change last name (surname) during landing?

Hi all,

My spouse has been using her maiden name since we got married. However, she would like to change this name during landing. Is it possible to have her new last name on the PR card and all future documents if we show the marriage certificate at landing?

Thanks a million.

SaloneBoy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:48 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can spouse change last name (surname) during landing?

Hi

Originally Posted by saloneboy
Hi all,

My spouse has been using her maiden name since we got married. However, she would like to change this name during landing. Is it possible to have her new last name on the PR card and all future documents if we show the marriage certificate at landing?

Thanks a million.

SaloneBoy
No. She will be "landed" using the name on her COPR and passport. Once she receives her PR Card, she can re-apply for one in her married name.

PMM
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:58 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No. She will be "landed" using the name on her COPR and passport. Once she receives her PR Card, she can re-apply for one in her married name.

PMM
PMM, I have a similar question. My first name and last name were given a very funny spelling when I got my first passport from my home country. I've been using this spelling the whole time including Canadian Immigration. When is a good time to try to change the spelling of my name? I'm thinking after landing and before I get my SIN. Any idea on how I can do that? Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:29 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by MJ23
PMM, I have a similar question. My first name and last name were given a very funny spelling when I got my first passport from my home country. I've been using this spelling the whole time including Canadian Immigration. When is a good time to try to change the spelling of my name? I'm thinking after landing and before I get my SIN. Any idea on how I can do that? Thanks
After landing, get your SIN and PR Card. Then apply to the province where you are residing for a name change. For example in BC you must reside in the province for 3 months prior to applying. See: http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/name/eligible.html

PMM
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:33 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't recommend name changing in Canada before becoming a citizen as your PR Card won't match passport and you will have problems crossing borders, boarding planes, etc.

Change name in home country's passport and then change name in Canada (and on your PR Card).

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

After landing, get your SIN and PR Card. Then apply to the province where you are residing for a name change. For example in BC you must reside in the province for 3 months prior to applying. See: http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/name/eligible.html

PMM
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:35 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

PMM
wat if the passport does not show a surname PMM? i mean i have my passport without my surname and all my educational creditials dont show it either!
will the visa be issued according to the name on my passport? i am asking this becuz the CIC themselves made a surname of mine by just adding my mother's maiden surname to my name!!
would the visa be issued according to my name on the passport??
I am being sponsored as a spouse!!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:26 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amancharan
wat if the passport does not show a surname PMM? i mean i have my passport without my surname and all my educational creditials dont show it either!
will the visa be issued according to the name on my passport? i am asking this becuz the CIC themselves made a surname of mine by just adding my mother's maiden surname to my name!!
would the visa be issued according to my name on the passport??
I am being sponsored as a spouse!!
anyone?? pls enlighten
JIM/Andrew/PMM??
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

ustoca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using my English name

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
I wouldn't recommend name changing in Canada before becoming a citizen as your PR Card won't match passport and you will have problems crossing borders, boarding planes, etc.

Change name in home country's passport and then change name in Canada (and on your PR Card).

I have both my original name and English name (with the same last name) on my passport. I plan to continue to use only my English name in Canada as I have for many years in the US. However, my original name was used in skilled worker application as it is on my US H1 status notice. I am not sure I need to go thru a provincial name change process, but I can't figure out when and how to have my English name on my PR card. Can it be as easy as telling the officer at the border that I'd like to use another version of my name on my passport for the PR card when I land?