Can self-employed go via FSW?

Old Dec 12th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Chick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to all
Default Can self-employed go via FSW?

Probably a really stupid question, but can someone who is a partner in their own company apply via the skilled worker route if their occupation is on 'the list'?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 8:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can self-employed go via FSW?

Not a stupid question at all - actually a v interesting one! I've never thought about it but I don't see any reason why not. The only thing is that I guess you might have more trouble proving it as presumably you don't have things like a contract etc, that you'd normally have to provide.

I would say you'd still qualify but hopefully an expert will clarify for us.

Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

afoks is an unknown quantity at this point

Working as self-employed is still working just as in regular employee-employer relationship. But it is quite hard to prove hours per week worked and duties performed for self-employed. They must show their tax returns, work contracts and invoices, references from clients, etc.. A lot of paperwork to prepare and quite hard work to make it all 100% conclusive as processing officer will not give any benefit of the doubt - what is not conclusively proven won't be counted.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

I had a few years self employed that I included in my years of experience. I included hte company statute of limitations, tax returns, and so many documents with my signature on it it was unreal.

they accepted it though.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:54 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

I think you might want to look at the PNP Business options, if you have a management role, are a part owner of a company and can come up with a business plan. its one of the fastest routes to PR.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee
Probably a really stupid question, but can someone who is a partner in their own company apply via the skilled worker route if their occupation is on 'the list'?
What I the structure, are you are you a partner in a partnership or is it a company and you are an employee?

My brother owned his own business in the UK and and came as a skilled worker.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:48 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

We are (hopefully) going down a TWP route and submitting a business plan (nightmare!!), once there then we will apply in a couple of years time using experience class rather FSW. We are trying to established whether we could use the business to employ us if using the FSW route but it is a bit of a grey area and have been told that EC is a safer bet. Our occupations aren't on "the list" though. I thought if you were on "the list" you didn't have to have a job to go to?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:50 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I just re-read the question and realised I misinterpreted it earlier. I see now that you are asking if you can apply for FSW based on meeting one of the 38 NOC codes. In which case the answer is yes provided you can produce documentary evidence that you did perform most of the main duties described for that NOC code on the HRSDC site. Which NOC code is it? Depending on the code and the main duties listed it may be easy or less easy to show evidence.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:55 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heidi_K
We are (hopefully) going down a TWP route and submitting a business plan (nightmare!!), once there then we will apply in a couple of years time using experience class rather FSW. We are trying to established whether we could use the business to employ us if using the FSW route but it is a bit of a grey area and have been told that EC is a safer bet. Our occupations aren't on "the list" though. I thought if you were on "the list" you didn't have to have a job to go to?
Thats correct, you dont need a job offer (I originally misinterpreted the original question which is why I deleted my earlier post and gave a new reply above).

And, in your case, I would say that if you worked in Canada on a work permit in a skilled occupation (has to be in 0 A or B job according to NOC) for 2 years then going down the Canadian Experience Class route would be much more certain and much simpler (as FSW has lots of eligibility criteria and CEC relatively few).
Old Dec 12th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Chick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Aviator
What I the structure, are you are you a partner in a partnership or is it a company and you are an employee?

My brother owned his own business in the UK and and came as a skilled worker.
It's actually my hubby. He has previously worked as a Financial Manager (employed), but is now a partner in his own business. His role is obviously much broader now, though he does still manage the financial side of the business.

We really want to go to Canada with PR, rather than via any of the temporary routes that can lead to PR. I was going to be the principal applicant, but as a Marketing Manager, I'm not on the list. My hubby has had quite a varied career to say the least, but because one of his occupations is on the list we're wondering whether to submit an application on that basis. He can get all of the supporting info, but I was concerned that if he was going out to Canada to be self-employed he wouldn't really be regarded as a skilled worker as such.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:26 pm
Immigration Consultant

It's actually my hubby. He has previously worked as a Financial Manager (employed), but is now a partner in his own business. His role is obviously much broader now, though he does still manage the financial side of the business.

We really want to go to Canada with PR, rather than via any of the temporary routes that can lead to PR. I was going to be the principal applicant, but as a Marketing Manager, I'm not on the list. My hubby has had quite a varied career to say the least, but because one of his occupations is on the list we're wondering whether to submit an application on that basis. He can get all of the supporting info, but I was concerned that if he was going out to Canada to be self-employed he wouldn't really be regarded as a skilled worker as such.
In which case you are fine and you can apply under the recently changed Skilled Worker Class. If he had the Financial Manager experience (for at least a year in the last 10 years) as an employee its even easier to establish. You just need to make sure he performed most of the main duties shown here http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/...searchkey=0111

He does not need to declare what his intentions are once you arrive in Canada - whether he plans to work as a Financial Manager, be self-employed etc is irrelevant.

Note you do still have to meet the points score too.

Also, remember you will have to send this application to CHC Sydney.

Last edited by Paul Wildy; Dec 12th 2008 at 9:28 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I didn't know that! Why Sydney?
Old Dec 13th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

afoks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NSpaul
It is not CHC Sydney - applications in federal SW without arranged employment but with occupation on the List of 38 should be submitted to:

Citizenship & Immigration Canada
Federal Skilled Worker
Centralized Intake Unit
PO BOX 7500
Sydney, NS B1P 0A9
Canada

Only forms and fees should be submitted, without supporting documents. After CIU confirms eligibility to apply under Ministerial Instructions then applicant submits full package to proper visa post abroad.

Last edited by afoks; Dec 13th 2008 at 11:01 pm.