Can i do this to activate my pr ?

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can i do this to activate my pr ?

Ok I have all the paper work for my pr which i need to activate by 23rd september.I am planning on living in canada eventually but i have just started a good job here in england so i would like to save up for a couple of years so i would have some money behind me for when i leave to canada.

The question is could i go to canada for a week to activate it,get my pr card sent to a canadian address then get it sent to me in england and work and save some money for 2 years then leave for canada ?

I would give immigration my england address but i have heard they wont send it anywhere outside canada ?

Would immigration be awkward with me for only staying for a week to activate it and do you think i should be completely honest with them saying i am only staying for a week to activate it ? or just dont say anything ?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice
Default Re: Can i do this to activate my pr ?

Originally Posted by leeps
Ok I have all the paper work for my pr which i need to activate by 23rd september.I am planning on living in canada eventually but i have just started a good job here in england so i would like to save up for a couple of years so i would have some money behind me for when i leave to canada.

The question is could i go to canada for a week to activate it,get my pr card sent to a canadian address then get it sent to me in england and work and save some money for 2 years then leave for canada ?

I would give immigration my england address but i have heard they wont send it anywhere outside canada ?

Would immigration be awkward with me for only staying for a week to activate it and do you think i should be completely honest with them saying i am only staying for a week to activate it ? or just dont say anything ?
Totally fine - It's what many do!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landin..._.22landing.22
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Robbie500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember you do not have to activate it for 12 months. So in your case do not jump in too soon and land to early.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Robbie500
Remember you do not have to activate it for 12 months. So in your case do not jump in too soon and land to early.
Not entirely true - it is 12 months from the date of medicals in most cases, or even less in some. Person must land before PR visa expiration date or it will be gone.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Also remember you have to be able to meet the residency requirements to KEEP your PR. And any days you spend out of Canada on holidays etc don't count for residency. So be careful how long you wait to actually move here so that you don't end up with a problem in that respect! But other than that, yeah, a lot of people do what you're asking about. Some wait til right near the expiry to come over and land too so that they have a bit more time.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 11:01 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you dont tell them they will know already how long are you in Canada for. I was shocked when the immigration officer at Calgary gestured at me at the time of my landing last month saying.. "So Mr. Edo, you are only here for 5 days", even though I didnt put any such thing on the landing card. I had no option but to shake my head to acknowledge the fact
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:16 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Edo
Even if you dont tell them they will know already how long are you in Canada for. I was shocked when the immigration officer at Calgary gestured at me at the time of my landing last month saying.. "So Mr. Edo, you are only here for 5 days", even though I didnt put any such thing on the landing card. I had no option but to shake my head to acknowledge the fact
Guess the IO knows whether you have a return ticket? I remember in Glasgow Airport we all had our passports scanned in a laptop before check-in and had a little sticker put on the back...maybe they send off a list of the info to the Canadians?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BTJ
Guess the IO knows whether you have a return ticket? I remember in Glasgow Airport we all had our passports scanned in a laptop before check-in and had a little sticker put on the back...maybe they send off a list of the info to the Canadians?

Never under estimate the information that border controls have.

I have a friend here in Canada, whom is a Border Guard at the Canadian/USA border. Although she tells me as much as she is allowed to, the amount of information that a passport holds is formidable.

Since terrorism has become an international fact, immigration, at most major Western ports of entries have the ability to know just about every thing you do, have done and even what you are about to do. Probably even down to the brand of toilet paper you use.

She quotes " one of the worse things you can do at a border is lie, cos we know the truth"

Yes, some slip through but most of those that slip through seemingly are allowed to slip, for Government reasons of their own.