Wikiposts

Can anyone help

Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Can anyone help

Hi, my husband is going for an interview for a job and has been advised that he is able to take the family with him as this is a permanent contract and that after 6 months we are able to apply for landed immigrate status please can you explain what this is and also what sort of chance have we got in being successful as selling home and moving family is a big decision when it could all end after 12 mths.
Also unfortunately I have been married before and my daughter is known by our married name but her passport and birth certificate are in my previous married name. Her father has not seen her from the age of 8mths no cards etc but how would this effect her emigrating with us. For me to get her name changed I would have to get his permission and I think he lives overseas now so not sure which way to turn. Please help
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:35 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone help

Unfortunately you were lied to or at least facts were misrepresented to you (quite common lately among non-authorized "immigration consultants" based outside Canada). So, before you start asking for advice in UK check if person you are asking is either the lawyer who is a member of law society in Canada or a consultant registered as member with CSIC - only such members can advise or consult and represent you for fee. Anyone else, including someone who claims being associated with authorized practitioner in Canada cannot do zip - he or she can only refer you to the authorized practitioner. See here for details:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...paid-reps.html

Now let's deal with the misleading info you were given:

First of all - your husband won't get a Work Permit for permanent job offer, period. Work Permit can only be issued for limited time for temporary job offer validated by HRSDC and there is never a guarantee that it will be extended for another period.

Second of all - there is no provision in the law making anyone eligible to apply for PR visa (formerly landed immigrant status) just because he or she spent 6 months in Canada on Work Permit. Work Permit or not applicant must meet all criteria to qualify, although work permit may add some points.

You may even qualify for PR visa without any work permit.

I strongly advise seeking at least free evaluation of your chances before you start spending any money on "consultants" giving you such false information as you were provided with. And forget about selling home for now.

You may contact me (or any other authorized practitioner) directly for free evaluation of your chances and options.

As for your daughter's name - no problem as long as it is properly dealt with.

And finally - when applying for work permit applicant may include spouse and children as accompanying dependants. Nothing special about it - the people providing you with misleading info are most likely using it as a sales trick.

Originally Posted by perkinsgap
Hi, my husband is going for an interview for a job and has been advised that he is able to take the family with him as this is a permanent contract and that after 6 months we are able to apply for landed immigrate status please can you explain what this is and also what sort of chance have we got in being successful as selling home and moving family is a big decision when it could all end after 12 mths.
Also unfortunately I have been married before and my daughter is known by our married name but her passport and birth certificate are in my previous married name. Her father has not seen her from the age of 8mths no cards etc but how would this effect her emigrating with us. For me to get her name changed I would have to get his permission and I think he lives overseas now so not sure which way to turn. Please help

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Aug 19th 2004 at 9:45 am.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice I think I have made a mistake with the way I have written. The company that my husband is having an interview with is kindersley transport ltd in Saskatoon. They responded to a question that i asked was it a permanent contract or only short term - there response was The job offer is for 12 mths with the opportunity to apply for landed immigrate status after 6mths in Canada. We haven't approached anyone in this contry with reference to applying for immigration to Canada. if you are able to assist they we would be more than grateful, I have received some information from Willis Brazolot & co and they have said we could be paying anything from £4000.00 to 7000.00 for a package does this sound correct.
We would appreciate any help or advice you could offer as this is a big decision that we are making but one we have wanted to do for a long time]
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:24 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Well, BP4000 seems a lot for a skilled worker case. Check out the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants website and also the OPIC website for lists of qualified consultants. It seems Kindersley Transport want you to come right away so they must arrange for HRSD approval of their job offer. Then you can obtain an Employment Authorization.

Originally Posted by perkinsgap
Thanks for all your advice I think I have made a mistake with the way I have written. The company that my husband is having an interview with is kindersley transport ltd in Saskatoon. They responded to a question that i asked was it a permanent contract or only short term - there response was The job offer is for 12 mths with the opportunity to apply for landed immigrate status after 6mths in Canada. We haven't approached anyone in this contry with reference to applying for immigration to Canada. if you are able to assist they we would be more than grateful, I have received some information from Willis Brazolot & co and they have said we could be paying anything from £4000.00 to 7000.00 for a package does this sound correct.
We would appreciate any help or advice you could offer as this is a big decision that we are making but one we have wanted to do for a long time]
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

merdealorsen is an unknown quantity at this point

How can a foreigner get a temporary work permit when the employer (in this case the transportation company) has to prove that no qualified Canadian is available for the job? My bet is your husband will be rejected. Then again, how many of us are willing to move to Saskatchewan...

Things to think about before investing into coming to Canada:

http://www.geocities.com/merdealorsen/immigration.html

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Well, BP4000 seems a lot for a skilled worker case. Check out the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants website and also the OPIC website for lists of qualified consultants. It seems Kindersley Transport want you to come right away so they must arrange for HRSD approval of their job offer. Then you can obtain an Employment Authorization.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:36 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

People come into Canada every day on temporary employment authorizations.

Originally Posted by merdealorsen
How can a foreigner get a temporary work permit when the employer (in this case the transportation company) has to prove that no qualified Canadian is available for the job? My bet is your husband will be rejected. Then again, how many of us are willing to move to Saskatchewan...

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 3:06 am

Yes, for several years now over 110,000 foreign workers (as per official stats) are being admitted each year to Canada with work permits. And yes - majority of those work permits were granted after employer proved that no Canadian candidate was found despite nationwide search. There are also some jobs that don't require HRSDC validation or are covered by already issued blanket validation.

If 110,000+ can find job offer meeting strict requirements for work permit in Canada while still abroad then why some already Permanent Residents who have absolutely no restrictions, don't need any work permits and are in Canada cannot find jobs? Never thought that it may be their, not Canada's fault? That they came here with lack of needed skills or experience and didn't do any job market research prior to coming and/or that they don't have the will or abilities to adapt to continuously changing market conditions?

If you read papers or watch news on TV then you should know that Canada for example has a critical shortage (tens of thousands over next few years) of truck drivers and many transportation companies are desperately trying to recruit drivers from abroad. Same critical shortage exists with many other skilled trade workers, especially in the construction industry.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Aug 22nd 2004 at 3:22 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

merdealorsen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Yes, for several years now over 110,000 foreign workers (as per official stats) are being admitted each year to Canada with work permits. And yes - majority of those work permits were granted after employer proved that no Canadian candidate was found despite nationwide search. (...) If you read papers or watch news on TV then you should know that Canada for example has a critical shortage (tens of thousands over next few years) of truck drivers and many transportation companies are desperately trying to recruit drivers from abroad. Same critical shortage exists with many other skilled trade workers, especially in the construction industry.
Well Andrew, as long as they don’t declare a shortage of immigration consultants I guess you’ll be OK. ;-) That said, I’d like to know what you charge people once you’ve sucked them in with a free assessment.

I’m thinking of starting my own consulting firm. However, to be competitive, I’ll pay my employees minimum wage. I’ll post a job add in an obscure, but national, trade magazine and then apply to import two dozen Indians or Pakistanians (or whoever else can speak English and an other language other than French), do to the obvious shortage of immigration consultants. After all, people who have less education than the average Tim Hortons cashier shouldn’t expect to receive fees as high as lawyers.

I’d like to thank you Mr. Miller, I’ve been unemployed for 7 months now and I guess your right, maybe I did lack “the will or abilities to adapt to continuously changing market conditions�. You have inspired me.

Thought I’d warn you. :-)

(I shouldn’t vent on you, I’m just exasperated by our illogical immigration policies.)

PS. I’m born and raised in Canada. Not that it matters, but is Andrew Miller your original/real name? I detect an accent.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 3:02 pm

Immigration policy doesn't take jobs from Canadians - changing market conditions do. Job security? Forget it, it is in the past and will never come back. Survival of the fittest - remember? This is what counts now. Market conditions change and workers who are in oversupply must re-qualify, sad but real. Those who re-qualify faster get jobs, those who wait hoping that their lost jobs will come back one day may wait forever.

Do you know how many Canadians (as well as Americans) who lost jobs in recent recessions (we had quite few recessions in past 2 decades) got their own jobs back? Almost none. Do you know how many decided to start working for themselves? Almost 40% of skilled and experienced professionals and trades people did it. And guess what - they now often contract their services to their old employers who are no more interested in hiring employees to perform tasks that may be easy outsourced for less money and with a lot less hassle.

This is where many jobs went - to self-employed and small businesses. All companies today outsource work to some degree and trend accelerates quite rapidly.

Never thought of doing the same, of starting selling your qualifications and experience as self-employed consultant or contractor? If there is no need for your qualifications anymore anywhere then you need to re-qualify. Survival of the fittest...

And yes, I'm not a native English speaker. And my name is original, except the first name that has been legally adjusted to it's English version years ago.

And I'm not "sucking" anyone in...

Well Andrew, as long as they don’t declare a shortage of immigration consultants I guess you’ll be OK. ;-) That said, I’d like to know what you charge people once you’ve sucked them in with a free assessment.

I’m thinking of starting my own consulting firm. However, to be competitive, I’ll pay my employees minimum wage. I’ll post a job add in an obscure, but national, trade magazine and then apply to import two dozen Indians or Pakistanians (or whoever else can speak English and an other language other than French), do to the obvious shortage of immigration consultants. After all, people who have less education than the average Tim Hortons cashier shouldn’t expect to receive fees as high as lawyers.

I’d like to thank you Mr. Miller, I’ve been unemployed for 7 months now and I guess your right, maybe I did lack “the will or abilities to adapt to continuously changing market conditions�. You have inspired me.

Thought I’d warn you. :-)

(I shouldn’t vent on you, I’m just exasperated by our illogical immigration policies.)

PS. I’m born and raised in Canada. Not that it matters, but is Andrew Miller your original/real name? I detect an accent.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Aug 22nd 2004 at 4:41 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Poor unemployed Canadian...

So that's why you're venting, eh ? Well, that just shows how much growing up in a tough environment strengthens character as opposed to having everything served on a silver plate. People like you are very good at whining and waiting for the state to take care of them. Why don't you move to Europe instead and let active people seeking a better life move to Canada ?

I feel really sorry for you if you are unable to compete on your home turf with "Third World" foreigners with an accent That just shows why Canada needs immigration.