Wikiposts

Can Andrew Miller advise??

Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Andrew Miller advise??

sorry to be a pain Andrew,

Hello, I am a UK citizen being sponsored from the UK as the common law partner of a Canadian Citizen. We are submitting our application at the end of March 2005 as I also have to submit an application for criminal rehabilitation for a 5 year old DUI charge (no damage to person or property).

My question is, we wish to visit Canada for three weeks in July 2005. I understand that it is highly unlikely that my application will be finalised by this time. Also as the UK is a visa waiver country, I cannot apply for a visitor’s visa. If we book non refundable return tickets, I take a letter from my employer (Thames Valley Police) stating that I am employed and will be returning to work after the holiday, and we take a copy of my criminal record and state that I have a pending PR and rehabilitation application, How likely is it that hey will allow me to enter the country for three weeks?????

We want to book the flights now while they are still cheap but are worried that we may fly to Canada and I will be turned away at POE.

Can any of the expert’s advise on the likelihood of temporary entry being granted in this case?

Is it worth going to the Canadian High Commission and asking for permission beforehand???

Thanks in advance,

I greatly appreciate the help on this forum and am trying to keep my questions to a minimum so as not to take up too much of the expert’s time.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:48 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can Andrew Miller advise??

It is highly unlikely that you'll be refused entry. You may be forced to apply for Temporary Resident Permit at the port of entry though, but is not the end of the world, just some paperwork and fee.

Originally Posted by Jameso
sorry to be a pain Andrew,

Hello, I am a UK citizen being sponsored from the UK as the common law partner of a Canadian Citizen. We are submitting our application at the end of March 2005 as I also have to submit an application for criminal rehabilitation for a 5 year old DUI charge (no damage to person or property).

My question is, we wish to visit Canada for three weeks in July 2005. I understand that it is highly unlikely that my application will be finalised by this time. Also as the UK is a visa waiver country, I cannot apply for a visitor’s visa. If we book non refundable return tickets, I take a letter from my employer (Thames Valley Police) stating that I am employed and will be returning to work after the holiday, and we take a copy of my criminal record and state that I have a pending PR and rehabilitation application, How likely is it that hey will allow me to enter the country for three weeks?????

We want to book the flights now while they are still cheap but are worried that we may fly to Canada and I will be turned away at POE.

Can any of the expert’s advise on the likelihood of temporary entry being granted in this case?

Is it worth going to the Canadian High Commission and asking for permission beforehand???

Thanks in advance,

I greatly appreciate the help on this forum and am trying to keep my questions to a minimum so as not to take up too much of the expert’s time.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is highly unlikely that you'll be refused entry. You may be forced to apply for Temporary Resident Permit at the port of entry though, but is not the end of the world, just some paperwork and fee.
Thanks Andrew, I think we shall book the flights,
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:25 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
With his DUI and the 5 years are not spent, he is inadmissible and there is no guarantee that he won't be turned around at the POE.

PMM
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Andrew

With his DUI and the 5 years are not spent, he is inadmissible and there is no guarantee that he won't be turned around at the POE.

PMM

Hi PMM, In June 2005 it will be 5 and a half years since the end of the driving ban imposed on me. I will be eligible for rehabiltation and will have a pending rehabilitation application at CHC London. I do however understand that there is no guarantee that I will not be turned away. I was just asking what the likely outcome would be, given that I would be honest and disclose all at POE, have a return ticket and proof that I have a job in the UK that I am required to rerturn to.

I think I will book the tickets and take my chances, (especially if they are better than 50/50) especially as I cannot apply for a visitor visa as I am a visa waiver national.

Thanks again,