Calling on Vancouver Residents!

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:02 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Talking Calling on Vancouver Residents!

I'm going to do my landing on 01/05/05 (Notice the Canadian format ) I will be staying in Barclay Hotel. I know it is a cheapo hotel! Anyone with any experience with this hotel?

What coffee shops with internet access would you guys recommend? I will have my laptop with me!

Where do I go to get my driver's license and car registration? Would both applcations be at the same place?

ps, Don't tell me to go to the other forum to ask these questions
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:21 am
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling on Vancouver Residents!

MJ, although not yet a PR, I have been living here longer than most Vancouverites, so I can answer your questions.

Hotel Barclay is not so bad at all, a friend of mind stayed there for 2 weeks. You will be staying about 8 blocks from me actually, on Robson Street, an area swarming with shoppers and tourists.

If you point yourself down the hill, you will notice quite a few internet gaming places. A lot of them have really low hourly rates. Look for Korean signage that says "internet" somewhere on it! The cheapest internet cafe in town is on Thurlow and Davie (about 10 min walk from your hotel) at $1.5 an hour. If you like Korean food, try Koreana--free side dishes all for $7-$10.

Getting your BC Driver's license is easy. If you have a Washington State license, you can make an even exchange. There is no office downtown, but you can take the bus out to the Point Grey office, or the SkyTrain out to Burnaby Metrotown Mall where there is on that is open on the weekends. It costs $18. But... best to go on a week day, as when I went on a Sunday they turned me away because they said that the computer that shares information with US databases doesn't always work on the weekend.

You register your car with ICBC, the gov. run insurance company. Any insurance broker can help you--really any of the ones downtown. If you can, *get a print out of your record from your American insurer, this will save you time and aggravation.*

You will want to get your Social Insurance Card/No. the moment you land. No one will give you a job without it. The office is off Main St. Bring your passport, COPR, and make sure you get a receipt. Potential employers will hire you if you have the receipt.

Wow--I should put this effort into my thesis. You can email me if you have any other questions I like being informative.

Last edited by guest210; Mar 22nd 2005 at 2:24 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:29 am
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Inspace
MJ, although not yet a PR, I have been living here longer than most Vancouverites, so I can answer your questions.

Hotel Barclay is not so bad at all, a friend of mind stayed there for 2 weeks. You will be staying about 8 blocks from me actually, on Robson Street, an area swarming with shoppers and tourists.

If you point yourself down the hill, you will notice quite a few internet gaming places. A lot of them have really low hourly rates. Look for Korean signage that says "internet" somewhere on it! The cheapest internet cafe in town is on Thurlow and Davie (about 10 min walk from your hotel) at $1.5 an hour. If you like Korean food, try Koreana--free side dishes all for $7-$10.

Getting your BC Driver's license is easy. If you have a Washington State license, you can make an even exchange. There is no office downtown, but you can take the bus out to the Point Grey office, or the SkyTrain out to Burnaby Metrotown Mall where there is on that is open on the weekends. It costs $18. But... best to go on a week day, as when I went on a Sunday they turned me away because they said that the computer that shares information with US databases doesn't always work on the weekend.

You register your car with ICBC, the gov. run insurance company. Any insurance broker can help you--really any of the ones downtown. If you can, *get a print out of your record from your American insurer, this will save you time and aggravation.*

You will want to get your Social Insurance Card/No. the moment you land. No one will give you a job without it. The office is off Main St. Bring your passport, COPR, and make sure you get a receipt. Potential employers will hire you if you have the receipt.

Wow--I should put this effort into my thesis. You can email me if you have any other questions I like being informative.
Thanks for the great info!

Just a quick of question, will I get to keep my Washnigton State driver's license, or do I have to give it to them?

Forgive my ignorance, I register my car with a car insurance company? Is the process explaned on the ICBC website? what is their website please?

Last edited by MJ23; Mar 22nd 2005 at 2:33 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Hi again. No problem. The website is http://icbc.bc.ca/. Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. You *must* purchase your liability with them, although if you like, you can purchase your collision with Canadian Direct, the sole legal competitor for auto insurance in BC. They are generally cheaper and provide some benefits.

You cannot keep your Washington DL. The only way you can do that is to apply for a DL from scratch: that is, go to driving school, take the testts, etc. If you turn your WA DL in, it is an even exchange. Only temporary residents are allowed to keep their former DLs while registering a car in Canada.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:17 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Not true - there is the driver's licensing office on Hornby, between Smithe and Robson, next to the Court (same building).

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:34 am
Account Closed

I stand corrected! What a waste of time it was to go to Point Grey!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:04 am
The ECA Godfather

I stand corrected! What a waste of time it was to go to Point Grey!
What the hell are you doing Inspace? Next you are going to send me to Toronto to get a driver's License LOL No man, thank you very much for the information! I don't really care for my Washington driver's license, so I'm fine with exchanging it!

Thanks Andrew for keeping an eye on Mr. Inspace!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

vetal is an unknown quantity at this point

Any suggestions for renting an apartment in Vancouver? I'll be working in Burnaby, would not mind half an hour drive. Just looking for some clean, good friendly neighbourhoods.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:56 pm
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by vetal
Any suggestions for renting an apartment in Vancouver? I'll be working in Burnaby, would not mind half an hour drive. Just looking for some clean, good friendly neighbourhoods.
What are you smoking Vetal? People usually live outside and Vancouver and work in Vancouver. You got is backwards dude! Why not live in Burnaby?

If anyone knows a car insurance broker in downtown Vancouver, I would appreciate it! I only need to sign up for basic insurance. I'll be staying in the YWCA HOTEL RESIDENCE on Beatty street, so anything in the same neighbourhood would be great!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

So, switched to the Y? Its not a bad place, I used to use the facilities when I moved here. For car insurance, look for the ubiquitous "AUTOPLAN" sign that is in almost every broker's window. Since they all broker the one and only insurance plan you are legally entitled to buy, they offer the same exact service. I'm not sure about your immediate neighbourhood, but you are so close to downtown there are probably 10 within 4 blocks. If you want to take a nice walk, walk over to Davie, and down towards Denman near English Bay. There is a broker near Swagat Indian Buffet--forgot the name. They are never busy and pretty nice. Then you can go to the beach only a block away and chill out near the planted palm trees.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:12 pm
The ECA Godfather

So, switched to the Y? Its not a bad place, I used to use the facilities when I moved here. For car insurance, look for the ubiquitous "AUTOPLAN" sign that is in almost every broker's window. Since they all broker the one and only insurance plan you are legally entitled to buy, they offer the same exact service. I'm not sure about your immediate neighbourhood, but you are so close to downtown there are probably 10 within 4 blocks. If you want to take a nice walk, walk over to Davie, and down towards Denman near English Bay. There is a broker near Swagat Indian Buffet--forgot the name. They are never busy and pretty nice. Then you can go to the beach only a block away and chill out near the planted palm trees.
Thanks for the tips again! I picked this area for 3 reasons:

1) Close to the US Consulate where I have an appointment on May 2nd, (I know Barclay hotel eas even closer!)
2) I figured there is a high business concentration in this area so I can do what I need to do walking!
3) I wanted to do the torist thing and walk around!

Thanks again!