Bunac Question

Old May 20th 2009, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

neilglen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bunac Question

hey just a quick question for people who've done the BUNAC visa. my work authorisation letter has been approved and is currently at bunac office. on the email they sent me, it says

"The relevant visa information has been transmitted to all ports of entry into Canada. On arrival into Canada the Immigration Officer will issue your Work Permit and staple it to your passport"

Now I have a few friends coming with me who are Australian and they have heard they will be taken into a room and questioned when they enter before the visa is put in... Was just wondering if this is the same for Bunac participants or if the visa is just put in at the regular border security like a stamp would be...

any info would be appreciated.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bunac Question

Hi There

We came out on BUNAC a couple of weeks ago and when we got to Toronto airport, we went through immigration as normal and then were sent into the actual immigration office to see an immigration officer.

They asked us a few questions as we have also applied for Permanent Residency but it was just, "Have you applied for Permanent Residency?" Nothing to worry about and they printed out the visa and stapled in our passports.

Hope this helps-let me know if you need anymore info

Lucy
Old May 20th 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Willower will become famous soon enoughWillower will become famous soon enough

Hi!

Hope you don't mind an attempted thread hijack, but I was wondering what you both are doing / are planning to do for work while on BUNAC?

I'm thinking about applying as a non-student, and ideally I'd like to do something more career-oriented (educational publishing or English as a foreign lang teaching), that might help me to get a more permanent job in Canada after the year's up.

Any tips from current BUNAC-ers would be very much appreciated!

Sarah
Old May 20th 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi Willower

I am actually a qualified English as a Second Language Teacher but haven't got a job teaching yet. I have sent my CV to a number of schools and they have informed me that they will be interviewing for summer teaching work soon.

I have 3 years of experience teaching the UK and most of the job adverts for TESL/TEFL out here ask for 2 years experience, a TESL qualification and a degree. I have CELTA which seems to be classed as the basic qualification but it is recognised here.

The ESL industry here is much more professional here in Canada than on other countries in my opinion i.e. you could prob get teaching work in Thailand/China etc with just a weekend course.

Saying that being an ESL Teacher has allowed me to apply for PR as it is one of the jobs on the list but you need at least 1 year's experience in the job before you can apply.

It is unlikely that an ESL school would be able to get you a Temporary Work Permit which would allow you to stay after your BUNAC visa as they would have to prove they couldn't find a Canadian to do the job which is unlikely.

Hope this helps. If you want to send me a Private Message, please do as not sure if people on forum would be interested in this.

Lucy
Old May 20th 2009, 2:34 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

My BUNAC expired a couple of weeks back.

There's nothing stopping you seeking out a professional position while on your 12 mth TWP. Many people have. I'd caution though that most people spend a fair while looking for any kind of job and when your time is limited to a year a month or two make a lot of difference.

My advice would be to start making contact now, and use temp agencies wherever you're headed as a backup. They're much the same as they are in the UK, just far fewer.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

neilglen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Hi There

We came out on BUNAC a couple of weeks ago and when we got to Toronto airport, we went through immigration as normal and then were sent into the actual immigration office to see an immigration officer.

They asked us a few questions as we have also applied for Permanent Residency but it was just, "Have you applied for Permanent Residency?" Nothing to worry about and they printed out the visa and stapled in our passports.

Hope this helps-let me know if you need anymore info

Lucy

thanks Lucy

so they didn't ask any questions about your flight or insurance or anything then? I guess they may not for Bunac participant as we don't get the letter til we show bunac that?
Old May 20th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Neil

I don't think they asked to see flight details but did have them and insurance with me but as you say, you have to have them for them to release your work authorisation letter.

Think it really is just converting the letter into a work permit in your passport.

Best of luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Lucy