Bunac to PR

Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Chris2863 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bunac to PR

Hi guys, I have been following this forum for a while and this is my first post. I arrived in Toronto on a Bunac/SWAP one year visa in October and I have been working as a graduate engineer for a large engineering company in Toronto.

I am very keen to stay after my visa expires and my company is willing to support me with this application. What options are available to me? I am aware of the PNP but I do not have experience in my work field for two years in the last five. From spending time researching this forum I believe my only other option is the LMO route? If so, how easy is it to be accepted for this visa working for a large company willing to support me? How long does the LMO last for? As I have 8 months left on my Bunac visa can I apply for an LMO and activate the visa when my Bunac visa expires?

Thanks in Advance
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bunac to PR

Originally Posted by Chris2863
Hi guys, I have been following this forum for a while and this is my first post. I arrived in Toronto on a Bunac/SWAP one year visa in October and I have been working as a graduate engineer for a large engineering company in Toronto.

I am very keen to stay after my visa expires and my company is willing to support me with this application. What options are available to me? I am aware of the PNP but I do not have experience in my work field for two years in the last five. From spending time researching this forum I believe my only other option is the LMO route? If so, how easy is it to be accepted for this visa working for a large company willing to support me? How long does the LMO last for? As I have 8 months left on my Bunac visa can I apply for an LMO and activate the visa when my Bunac visa expires?

Thanks in Advance
Hey Chris,

So there are some variables which depend on a few factors with the LMO.
If your company can prove that they cannot hire a Canadian for the position you are in then HRSDC will look upon that favourably. Also the longer they've advertised the better. Depending on how long your employer state the length of your contract on the paper work I think the max is 2-3 years before you would renew but most people would have jumped on the PNP band wagon like I did because my Skilled Worker visa was 2 years long. 12 months in I was a PR. Do what I did. I applied for PNP and LMO at the same time because the required documentation was/is practically the same. If your employer is willing to help you out then this should be a smooth process for you. Just the usual running around is all.

I hope that helps and of course.... Good Luck!

Roxy
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:50 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by roxye3
Hey Chris,

So there are some variables which depend on a few factors with the LMO.
If your company can prove that they cannot hire a Canadian for the position you are in then HRSDC will look upon that favourably. Also the longer they've advertised the better. Depending on how long your employer state the length of your contract on the paper work I think the max is 2-3 years before you would renew but most people would have jumped on the PNP band wagon like I did because my Skilled Worker visa was 2 years long. 12 months in I was a PR. Do what I did. I applied for PNP and LMO at the same time because the required documentation was/is practically the same. If your employer is willing to help you out then this should be a smooth process for you. Just the usual running around is all.

I hope that helps and of course.... Good Luck!

Roxy
You should note that in April/11 Work permits will limited to a maximum time of 4 years, and then you must return home for 4 years.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:05 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris2863

Thanks in Advance
How old are you? They have now changed BUNAC so if you are 30 or under you are I believe entitled to a second one year Work Holidayvisa if required.

If you are entitled to a second Work Holiday Visa then I'd go straight for Permanent Residence as you already have arranged employment here. This can be processed while you are on your WHV's.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Chris2863 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice!! I just have a couple more questions I think my only option is to apply for a TWP under the LMO. My company is very keen to help me with this but they say my only problem is it would be hard to justify as there are many people in the country capable of doing my job (I am an industrial engineer working for a large engineering company in Ontario). Is this true or do they just have to advertise the position for two weeks nationally and write a letter explaining why they want to employ me.

I have 8 months left on my Bunac visa. Would it be better to apply now for a LMO or wait a couple of months?

Thanks in Advance.