From Bunac to PR?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of
Default From Bunac to PR?

Hi,

I'm heading out to Toronto on the 2nd Oct WOOHOO 5 weeks to go, I'm going out on the Bunac non student visa having already used up the bunac student visa back in 2004/2005.

I have a canadian boyfriend but we aren't going to be living together and are definitely not at the stage of sponsorship so I believe the only way I can try to stay in Canada is by applying for PR from within the country and getting a company to sponsor me.

I'm an EA at the moment, there's a strong possibility my company in the UK is going to get me a job with my company out in Canada so I should be able to get sponsorship. However when should I start getting this process in motion once I'm out there and also does anyone know the likelihood of getting an LMO approved for this position in Toronto? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks so much for your help, I'm sure you've all heard this before

Lucie x
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Bunac to PR?

Hi, and welcome.

If your job is classed as an intra-company transfer, then you have no need for LMO. That's the good news!

The bad news is that your company has to put forward a case for transferring you and you need to be classified as either an executive of the company, senior management of the company, or have 'specialized knowledge' - the latter is defined as:

A worker who has specialized knowledge:

Possesses knowledge that is valuable to the employer's competitiveness in the market place;
Is uniquely qualified to contribute to the Canadian employer's knowledge of foreign operating conditions;
Has extensive prior experience with the employer;
Has been utilized as a key employee abroad in significant assignments which have enhanced the employer's productivity, competitiveness, image or financial position.

So I'm sorry but the bad news is that as an EA it doesn't appear you qualify for an intra-company transfer. Do have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will tell you all about finding a job in Canada and trying to get PR via it.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 29th 2008 at 9:52 am.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Hi Christina,

Thanks for getting back to me, I already have a work permit for the next year. I won't be doing an intra company transfer, I have already resigned from my job in the UK however when I get to Toronto my hr department are hoping to set me up with interviews at our company out there. So I will 'fingers crossed' be starting with a new contract at my company. In which case to apply for PR I will need them to sponsor me and get an LMO...I've read through the wiki articles and I know as an EA the job is of the right skill level I just don't know how likely it is that I will get an approved LMO for this position in Toronto as it's not on the OUP list at the moment.

Cheers,

Lucinda
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucieg
Hi Christina,

Thanks for getting back to me, I already have a work permit for the next year. I won't be doing an intra company transfer, I have already resigned from my job in the UK however when I get to Toronto my hr department are hoping to set me up with interviews at our company out there. So I will 'fingers crossed' be starting with a new contract at my company. In which case to apply for PR I will need them to sponsor me and get an LMO...I've read through the wiki articles and I know as an EA the job is of the right skill level I just don't know how likely it is that I will get an approved LMO for this position in Toronto as it's not on the OUP list at the moment.

Cheers,

Lucinda
Ok, I understand now.

Your company can offer you a job in Canada and you can do that job with your Bunac permit for a year without getting a LMO.

The next bit is where it gets tricky! If they want you to stay longer (and you do too) they will need to get the LMO for you (which can take several months by the way so do allow for that in your timings) so you can apply for a Temporary Work Permit. But, to get the LMO they will need to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada for 3 months and been unable to find any Canadian applicants willing, or able, to do the job. It doesn't matter if you're already doing the job, they still need to advertise it and prove nobody suitable applied - only you and they will know how likely that is but I would imagine there is no shortage of EA's in Toronto? So the chances of another qualified applicant applying is probably quite high.

Finally, the last thing I would say is that to apply for PR, your company does not sponsor you. YOU apply for PR, which would be fasttracked as you would be already working in Canada on a TWP (check out the Wiki article on how to apply for PR once in Canada). You may be thinking of PNP, but I don't know much about that so you'll need to check that one out in the Wiki.

Is there no possibility of you living with your Canadian boyf for the year you are there with Bunac, and then he can sponsor you at the end of that year under common-law sponsership?? That's by far your easiest option!

Hope that's helped clarify it a bit.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:07 am
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

Hi

no need for an lmo, your not applying for a twp your applying for pr.
As youll already be on a work permit you just need a permanent job offer to support you pr application.

there was a thread not so long ago with the exact same title, try searching i dont know how to ad links to threads yet.

Karen
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by littletwinkle46
Hi

no need for an lmo, your not applying for a twp your applying for pr.
As youll already be on a work permit you just need a permanent job offer to support you pr application.

there was a thread not so long ago with the exact same title, try searching i dont know how to ad links to threads yet.

Karen
I thought you couldn't go straight from Bunac to PR? As bunac is just a working holiday visa, thought you needed to be on a TWP to apply for PR.

Have I got that completely wrong? If so, apologies to the OP and I've learnt something new today!!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ok, I understand now.

Your company can offer you a job in Canada and you can do that job with your Bunac permit for a year without getting a LMO.

The next bit is where it gets tricky! If they want you to stay longer (and you do too) they will need to get the LMO for you (which can take several months by the way so do allow for that in your timings) so you can apply for a Temporary Work Permit. But, to get the LMO they will need to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada for 3 months and been unable to find any Canadian applicants willing, or able, to do the job. It doesn't matter if you're already doing the job, they still need to advertise it and prove nobody suitable applied - only you and they will know how likely that is but I would imagine there is no shortage of EA's in Toronto? So the chances of another qualified applicant applying is probably quite high.

Finally, the last thing I would say is that to apply for PR, your company does not sponsor you. YOU apply for PR, which would be fasttracked as you would be already working in Canada on a TWP (check out the Wiki article on how to apply for PR once in Canada). You may be thinking of PNP, but I don't know much about that so you'll need to check that one out in the Wiki.

Is there no possibility of you living with your Canadian boyf for the year you are there with Bunac, and then he can sponsor you at the end of that year under common-law sponsership?? That's by far your easiest option!

Hope that's helped clarify it a bit.
Ah maybe I'm getting confused about the PR and the TWP then! Immigration is so confusing I shall have another read of the wiki...I presumed I would have to apply for PR as a skilled worker, I've taken the test and I score enough points to do so, although I know that doesn't guarantee anything I just figured if I had a job offer my company would still need to do the LMO. I'm trying to avoid going for another TWP as last time I went out with Bunac I knew several people who tried to go down that route and their apps were denied.

I'd love to see my boyfriends face if I told him I would be living with him when I got there and then he'd have to sponsor me at the end of it...we haven't even been going out a year yet and it's all been long distance so not quite ready for that step yet

Thanks again for getting back to me
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:27 am
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

[URL="http://http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553122&highlight=bunac+to+PR%3F"]

here's the thread from before,
be careful with the boyfriend bit, bunac dont like it.
he wont need to sponsor you and youd have to wait a year before applying anyway.

i should add your job offer must be on the list of occupations but judy explains all that in the above thread.

good luck

Karen
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by littletwinkle46
[URL="http://http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553122&highlight=bunac+to+PR%3F"]

here's the thread from before,
be careful with the boyfriend bit, bunac dont like it.
he wont need to sponsor you and youd have to wait a year before applying anyway.

i should add your job offer must be on the list of occupations but judy explains all that in the above thread.

good luck

Karen
Thanks...I'd read that but still had in my head my company would have to do an LMO.

No worries about the boyfriend, he's not common law and I'm not going out there to live with him. I just really want to be back out living in Toronto, he's just an added bonus
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:24 am
Dorfus wafflebutt

its confusing i know,
lmo = work permit
AEO = PR, thats maybe what your thinking about and im not sure on that one.

Karen
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

londonlass is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lucieg

I'm coming to the end of my BUNAC working visa, am also an EA and want to stay out here, preferably in Toronto.

Two different immigration lawyers have told me that once my BUNAC visa expires the company will definately need a LMO before they can offer me a permanent position whether I'm already in the job or not.

Like you all I need to apply for PR as a SW is a job offer but my experience has been that companies in Toronto are relucant to get involved in the LMO process to recruit an EA (even when my Mangaer in a large muliti-national pushed hard for it) cos it's unlikely to be approved and as someone already said there are plenty of Canadians keen to do the job.
Apart from the job I was doing, I got two other offers however both refused to apply for the LMO but you may have more luck.

EA's are on the skills shortage list in B.C. which makes getting the LMO much easier so I've accepted defeat and am heading out to Vancouver (the only other place in Canada I'd like to live) to see if I can land a job there.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.

Good luck and enjoy your time out here however long it turns out to be!
Londonlass
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:04 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully I can clear this up:

1) To get PR visa via the Skilled Worker program in a reasonable time frame (6mth to 1yr) you'll need to qualify for points under "Arranged Employment".

2) "Arranged Employment" means you have one of the following:
(a) you are working in Canada on a WP that is valid for 1yr+ AND your employer has agreed to employ you on an permanent basis once PR has been granted
(b) you are in the UK and have a permanent job offer that has been granted with a positive Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO) by HRSDC

Typically (a) means you're here on a TWP (and hence you've been granted a LMO). However you could also be working in Canada on a BUNAC WP. It's a bit of a grey area - I'm not 100% sure that you could do this on a BUNAC but it might be worth a try. If it works it's a bit of a loophole as you've managed to get fast tracked without HRSDC being involved...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

garethnock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Guys,
This thread has answered a few of my questions - but wondering if anyone can help me further.
my situation is a little different.
I have an application for PR as a skilled worker from the UK in process (only applied 6 months ago)

Myself and my partner have decided to go for a bunac visa for 12 months so we can ' try it out' for a year and make our mins up 100%.

If we decide we are 100% we would be looking to stay after the year and trying to clarify the options - we can gain work in our industry (fitness) has been confirmed but the company but the companies in this industry are small and are not interested in LMO process, and cant sponsor us.
vv frustrating - work waiting but no way in!!!!!!!!!!!!:curse:
so questions:

* does the bunac visa effect my PR application? good or bad
* can i swap my application to be processed in canada?
* WILL THE PROCESS BE SPEADED UP?
* can i apply for a college course after a year and stay on a student visa, allowing me to work part time and my spouse to gain a 'open work permit'?
* if my PR application has to be updated (eg. medicals etc) can i get these in canada and send them to UK? do i have to go back and forward etc?

thanks so much for any help

Gareth
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by garethnock
Hey Guys,
This thread has answered a few of my questions - but wondering if anyone can help me further.
my situation is a little different.
I have an application for PR as a skilled worker from the UK in process (only applied 6 months ago)

Myself and my partner have decided to go for a bunac visa for 12 months so we can ' try it out' for a year and make our mins up 100%.

If we decide we are 100% we would be looking to stay after the year and trying to clarify the options - we can gain work in our industry (fitness) has been confirmed but the company but the companies in this industry are small and are not interested in LMO process, and cant sponsor us.
vv frustrating - work waiting but no way in!!!!!!!!!!!!:curse:
so questions:

* does the bunac visa effect my PR application? good or bad
* can i swap my application to be processed in canada?
* WILL THE PROCESS BE SPEADED UP?
* can i apply for a college course after a year and stay on a student visa, allowing me to work part time and my spouse to gain a 'open work permit'?
* if my PR application has to be updated (eg. medicals etc) can i get these in canada and send them to UK? do i have to go back and forward etc?

thanks so much for any help

Gareth
Gareth- firstly, hi and welcombe! No idea on most of the above (although do know you can't get your application to be processed in Canada, has to be UK - assuming you are UK citizen of course) but one thing to be aware of in case you're not already is that you and your partner would both have to apply for Bunac, you'd each need a visa.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 30th 2008 at 8:41 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

garethnock is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;6732119]Gareth- firstly, hi and welcombe! No idea on most of the above (although do know you can't get your application to be processed in Canada, has to be UK - assuming you are UK citizen of course) but one thing to be aware of in case you're not already is that you and your partner would both have to apply for Bunac, you'd each need a visa.

Good luck.

Hey thanks for the info bunac did inform of that when i looked into it.
So I cant change my application from the UK - but in theory i could cancel my application in the UK - and apply from inside canada once I am there?
I see that peole on here have done that and it has taken lesss than a year?

one more question i anyone can help? * If i tell CIC I am going to canada to gain work expeirence for 12 months will this speed up the application?

Thanks

Gareth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.