Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Bunac Insurance - please reply if you took an ALTERNATIVE

Bunac Insurance - please reply if you took an ALTERNATIVE

Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

axai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bunac Insurance - please reply if you took an ALTERNATIVE

Hello All,

I'm very sorry for posting but I couldn't find much useful information using the search function. What I am looking for are alternatives to the BUNAC insurance which HAVE been used and BUNAC have accepted it.

I'm not willing to take any chances on using something they don't accept. Therefore, if you have used a certain insurance vendor and BUNAC have accepted it please could you let me know the name of the company and a URL if possible.

Many thanks,

Axai
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:25 am
Just Joined

fernie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bunac Insurance - please reply if you took an ALTERNATIVE

Hello Axai
I used worldnomads.com, for my BUNAC trip. It was far cheaper than the policy offered by BUNAC, was extendable for up to two years and covered snow sports as well as other dangerous sports. It covers you for working but does not cover working with power tools or heights above 2 metres. Just send them the cover policy and they will accept that.
Fernie
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fernie
Hello Axai
I used worldnomads.com, for my BUNAC trip. It was far cheaper than the policy offered by BUNAC, was extendable for up to two years and covered snow sports as well as other dangerous sports. It covers you for working but does not cover working with power tools or heights above 2 metres. Just send them the cover policy and they will accept that.
Fernie
Wow, that's great - Thanks!
What sort of price range should I be looking at?
Is there a certain section of the website to go to?

Thanks very much

Axai
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Axai
just follow the links for your country of residence. For the Uk, 12 months insurance including winter sports, and no high value premiums is 317 pounds, this compares to 543 pounds for BUNAC. (my pound sign does not work)
You can extend your worldnomads insurance online, for up to two years, and you can travel all over the world.
If you enter the promotional code of: STPJMS you will get a further 6% off. Bringing it down to 298.58 for a whole year worldwide inc USA, Canada,
Enjoy your trip
Fernie
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Axai
just follow the links for your country of residence. For the Uk, 12 months insurance including winter sports, and no high value premiums is 317 pounds, this compares to 543 pounds for BUNAC. (my pound sign does not work)
You can extend your worldnomads insurance online, for up to two years, and you can travel all over the world.
If you enter the promotional code of: STPJMS you will get a further 6% off. Bringing it down to 298.58 for a whole year worldwide inc USA, Canada,
Enjoy your trip
Fernie
That's fantastic, thanks! I will go ahead and book that now.
Brilliant!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Axai
Enjoy your trip
Fernie
thanks for the discount quote too
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

snofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axai
thanks for the discount quote too
Did either of you send the policy wording through to Bunac before you paid for the policy? I can't find the full policy wording on the nomads website.

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Snofairy
you must submit the policy wording to BUNAC before you buy the insurance, to check that they accept it. Once you have entered your details to get a quote, there is a link at the bottom that says policy wording. Click that and a new window opens. Print off all pages and send to BUNAC. Once they accept the details, go ahead and buy it, but personally I would wait until you have your plane tickets. Then buy the insurance using the discount code and send all details to BUNAC, signing your insurance waiver.
Enjoy your trip
Fernie
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

snofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond reputesnofairy has a reputation beyond repute

Snofairy
you must submit the policy wording to BUNAC before you buy the insurance, to check that they accept it. Once you have entered your details to get a quote, there is a link at the bottom that says policy wording. Click that and a new window opens. Print off all pages and send to BUNAC. Once they accept the details, go ahead and buy it, but personally I would wait until you have your plane tickets. Then buy the insurance using the discount code and send all details to BUNAC, signing your insurance waiver.
Enjoy your trip
Fernie
Thanks Fernie, definately gonna wait until i've got authoristaion letter through from Bunac before buying! On another note, any particular reason why your called Fernie? Only asking cause that's where I'm gonna do my season in Oct, its such a fab place!

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Hey there,

I went through the process for nomads but it states that it doesn't cover you for working? was that the same for you?

Cheers, Lethe
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:23 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a 2008 Bunac-er and I took my insurance through this company -
http://www.247travelinsurance.co.uk/ It was the Premier Backpacker option.

This was ok'd by Bunac and I have no issues to report with the insurance company, all fine & straight forward. You absolutely need to confirm your policy choice with Bunac though, their criteria can change and you don't want to waste time & money on a policy that is no good. You can just email them the full policy details and they are quick to get back with an answer.

Best of luck!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Lethe
I have copied this from the worldnomads policy wording:

http://www.worldnomads.com/policy_wo...067239963ef4a5
Work abroad For the purposes of this policy clerical business activities of the insured only. Non-manual or light general work not involving the use of mechanical or industrial machinery at a height not exceeding 2 metres.
Try goggling BUNAC insurance and options come up.

I have looked at the insurance mentioned by ireland2canada, but cannot add wintersport to the backpacker policy (12 month). Even if you've never tried skiing or boarded, if you get the chance you need the cover. Do not try it without insurance. I had a friend taken off Whistler mountain and the cost was astonishing.

Which ever insurance you decide on, you must ensure it will cover all activities you could imagine, and then some. If you get the chance to ride horses and camp through the Rockies or sail off Nova Scotia, you want to be able to do it on a whim, not go and check your policy. (Due care and diligence)

Fernie