Bunac/Flights etc

Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bunac/Flights etc

My SIL is coming over next month on a BUNAC visa, and the inlaws will be coming over at the same time for a 2 week holiday.
Oringally, they thought they could all come over on Canadian Affair, but BUNAC requires that she has an open return.

The rest of them will still come over with Canadian Affair, but what are the SIL's options? Does she have to go through someone else?
Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice
Default Re: Bunac/Flights etc

Originally Posted by jericho
My SIL is coming over next month on a BUNAC visa, and the inlaws will be coming over at the same time for a 2 week holiday.
Oringally, they thought they could all come over on Canadian Affair, but BUNAC requires that she has an open return.

The rest of them will still come over with Canadian Affair, but what are the SIL's options? Does she have to go through someone else?
Thanks
There is no requirement for her to have an open return, just a return ticket. When I came over I booked a return for 8 months later which I didn't use (as applying for PR) As long as she has a return flight at some point next year (and insurance to cover the entire period) she will be fine.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:46 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lethe
There is no requirement for her to have an open return, just a return ticket. When I came over I booked a return for 8 months later which I didn't use (as applying for PR) As long as she has a return flight at some point next year (and insurance to cover the entire period) she will be fine.
Thanks. So could she have a return that's dated, say, 2 weeks after arrival?
(Obviously, she wont use it, but just looking at the cheapest option...)
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Well she still needs to satisfy immigration that she is planning on leaving within the year when she activates her bunac visa. if she comes over on a one year visa with a two week return flight I'm not sure how they'd view that tbh.
Having said that I flew into Pearson's international on a slow Tuesday, the immigration guy was singing 'eye of the tiger,' didn't ask me any questions about funds or anything, just stamped my forms, gave them back and said have a good year! Maybe someone else will come along with more experience from the timing issue.
I have heard of people not even activating their bunac visas straight away, if you guys are near a border she could just fly over on the visa waiver program then activate her visa at the border. Again, having no personal experience of this I couldn't tell you if they are nice about it.

Last edited by Lethe; Jul 26th 2010 at 4:21 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:56 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

The Bunac visa allows multiple entries, she can come and go as much as she likes. Of course, the clock keeps ticking on her year visa if she is outside of Canada.Two weeks is very short though, why not look further ahead and go with a ticket which allows date changes? She could use the return portion to go home for Christmas (for example) instead of forfeiting the flight within two weeks of arrival.

Originally Posted by Lethe
I have heard of people not even activating their bunac visas straight away, if you guys are near a border she could just fly over on the visa waiver program then activate her visa at the border. Again, having no personal experience of this I couldn't tell you if they are nice about it.
They are fine with it, all perfectly above board.