Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BUNAC expired and applying for PR outland

BUNAC expired and applying for PR outland

Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:14 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUNAC expired and applying for PR outland

Originally Posted by banther
This cant be right. It takes that long to apply for WP! This would only give me a few days to restore status! Sounds ridiculous! I spoke with a CIC agent who said I had 90 days as of 25th May. Maybe the one I spoke to was wrong but if it went from 9th April (when my WP expired), this would mean my 90 days was up about 2 weeks ago. Now what do I do??

AmyDavid, you're saying I can drive to Buffalo and flagpole (without any legal status (if my 90 days really did go from 9th April)) and they would issue me a TRV? What happens if they dont let me back in because I allowed my status to expire? Can this happen, can they deport me? This is concerning me as my PR application will not be ready to go for a few more weeks at least!
This is the info I received from people at CIC as well as 4 people at NS PNP who have also previously worked for CIC. Thing is it is so ambiguously written it can be interpreted both ways really.

When we went to get my OH's new WP (at the Border in NB) we were 4 days away from our status expiring (as in 90 days from the date my OH's original WP expired). The guard there told us we need to be careful not to leave things so late next time..!

I think if I was in your position I would send off the application to restore your status as well as applying for TRV - at least while that application is in (even if it takes 3 months) you have assumed status and can get on with your PR application.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

bubblescope is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to ask a basic question but does BUNAC have to expire before you can apply for PR or can you apply while on BUNAC?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

banther is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks AmyDavid

This 90 day question seems to be inconclusive no matter who we talk to! Seems I will never know when the 90 days start considering we got conflicting answers from CIC! What do you think would happen if I drove down to Buffalo now and tried to flagpole to get a TRV??

The downside in my application is that I have to go back to England for a couple of weeks in December! Family reasons! So I guess I should get my TRV app in asap! Unless I can do what AmyDavid did.......has anyone else done this? Whats the worst that could happen??
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

banther is an unknown quantity at this point

Bubblescope.........BUNAC doesn't have to expire but if you're going for PR spousal then you must have been living together for a minimum 1 year! If your BUNAC expires before the minimum 1 year then you will have to try and either extend your work permit through CIC or apply to change your status to Visitor so you can remain in Canada throughout!!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by banther
Bubblescope.........BUNAC doesn't have to expire but if you're going for PR spousal then you must have been living together for a minimum 1 year! If your BUNAC expires before the minimum 1 year then you will have to try and either extend your work permit through CIC or apply to change your status to Visitor so you can remain in Canada throughout!!
Banther, thanks for your reply. I'm not actually on BUNAC I'm AM here as a visitor. I'm asking though because I feel frustrated thinking I could have applied to go on BUNAC while simultaneously applying for spousal PR so that I could have actually WORKED instead of sitting here doing nothing while CIC sits on my outland PR application. I'm married to a Canadian PR holder so why does the min 1yr requirement apply?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubblescope
Banther, thanks for your reply. I'm not actually on BUNAC I'm AM here as a visitor. I'm asking though because I feel frustrated thinking I could have applied to go on BUNAC while simultaneously applying for spousal PR so that I could have actually WORKED instead of sitting here doing nothing while CIC sits on my outland PR application. I'm married to a Canadian PR holder so why does the min 1yr requirement apply?
If you marrried the one year doesnt apply. but also if your marrried your not eligible to apply for bunac in the first place.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Yes I know I was thinking I would have applied for BUNAC BEFORE getting married. Anyway no point dwelling in what could have been
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomHoney
If you marrried the one year doesnt apply. but also if your marrried your not eligible to apply for bunac in the first place.
Not true, people who are married have been eligible for a while now.

It's only those married to Canadians that aren't.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi my bunac expires on the 28th aug,could i send my twp application on the 27th ?,i want to send it as late as possible because i know it would get refused because i have no lmo but this would give me more time to work,once it gets refused i will go home to england to stay with family until my pr sponsorship gets processed
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

CIC wants you to apply for the permit 30 days before.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig25
hi my bunac expires on the 28th aug,could i send my twp application on the 27th ?,i want to send it as late as possible because i know it would get refused because i have no lmo but this would give me more time to work,once it gets refused i will go home to england to stay with family until my pr sponsorship gets processed
You need to make sure it is with THEM by 28th so sending it on 27th is leaving it a bit late..lol. Even though they want you to send it in 30 days before it expires you don't NEED to do this. They just request it so they have some small tiny chance of processing it before your bunac expires.