Bunac

Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

toaster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bunac

It's a great programme!

Best to apply asap, but you will probably okay if you apply in Jan. Are you talking about application fees or the 500 pounds "spending money" you have to take with you? If it's the latter then might not be a problem. I was never asked for proof, though I crossed into Canada from the US by road (I don't think the officers had ever seen a BUNAC letter before).

As far as I'm aware it doesn't affect PR in any way. If you are interested in that, then best also get your PR application also in asap, as it's a long wait to get it via London. You'll be a year along once BUNAC finishes. I'm not sure about getting another work permit once it expires. What I do know is you can't extend the BUNAC one.

Like you say, BUNAC is a great way to get into Canada via the back door. Your best chance thereafter is to find an employer willing to sponsor you post-BUNAC. Many people struggle to get that from the UK. You'll have a whole year in-country. Good luck!!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:46 pm
All BUNAC'd up -> NS

KokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud of

Thanks Toaster! That helped :-)

My plan (regarding BUNAC) was to get in, get some work experience and then find an employer who'll sponsor me once the BUNAC is up, but I was unsure on if there was a wait between the issuing of work visas. Having read the BUNAC literature more thoroughly, I believe I was getting a little confused in that they can only issue a BUNAC visa if you've not had any other kind of visa (bar a tourist visa) in the past 12 months, due to the way in which BUNAC operates (open work visa).

Regarding funds: I was initially on about the application fee, as this would be payable at the time of application (I assume), and that I won't have until January, unless I plead with my parents who may just be able to lend it to me until after Christmas.

BUNAC, as you've said, is an excellent back-door into the country, and it gives me a year in-country working and living, so I can find out if immigration is really for me. Not for one moment that I don't believe that I'm going to eventually settle in Canada, it's just a nice taster session of what I'm letting myself in for.

Well I'm off to plead to my parents, let's hope I'm in Nova Scotia by Easter

- KokiriChild
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

toaster is on a distinguished road

First thing is to make sure you get a BUNAC visa. Definitely more begging and pleading to your folks!! When they're gone, they're gone. This year is was early March, who knows for 2007

You've then 12 months in Canada - time to get a feel for the job market and sponsorship chances, and for paperwork etc. I'm sure people have successfully done what you're hoping to do.

Not yet been to Nova Scotia - supposed to be nice
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:10 pm
All BUNAC'd up -> NS

KokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud ofKokiriChild has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by toaster
Not yet been to Nova Scotia - supposed to be nice
Oh, it's lush! It's where my girlfriend lives, and I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else, and trust me, I've lived in some gorgeous places (Austria being the main one )

As for the pleading, it wen't a little like this:

KC: Mum
Mum: Yes?
KC: Can I borrow £165 til after Christmas?
Mum: Yeah, sure *hands card over*

I'm amazed how easy it was! She's normally really cautious... Ahh well, count your blessings etc, BUNAC application here we come!

- KokiriChild
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KokiriChild
Oh, it's lush! It's where my girlfriend lives, and I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else, and trust me, I've lived in some gorgeous places (Austria being the main one )

As for the pleading, it wen't a little like this:

KC: Mum
Mum: Yes?
KC: Can I borrow £165 til after Christmas?
Mum: Yeah, sure *hands card over*

I'm amazed how easy it was! She's normally really cautious... Ahh well, count your blessings etc, BUNAC application here we come!

- KokiriChild
Good news! Get the application in, and it'll be a very happy 2007!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:25 pm
All BUNAC'd up -> NS

Originally Posted by adele
Good news! Get the application in, and it'll be a very happy 2007!
OMFG OMFG OMFG, ACCEPTED!

BRB, need to pee!

- KokiriChild
Old Dec 8th 2006, 10:21 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

1) As I've only just found out about this, and don't have the funds immediately available (damn Christmas!), do you think there'd still be non-student places available around January time?
Hard to say - I applied in March 2005, and still got a place as a non-student. But it sounds very popular this year....

2) Does anyone know how this would affect PR in any way, weather it helps or hinders? I want to settle permanently in Canada, and so at the moment am looking for any door in I can find, and BUNAC seems like a great way in :-)
It doesn't make any difference points wise, but gives you an oppoutunity to get a perm job offer - which will help considerably :-)

3) Would it be possible to be issued with a work permit once the BUNAC programme is over, as I read somewhere that you cannot be issued with 2 working visas if one had expired within the last 12 months.
Not sure where you read that - my BUNAC visa expired in April, and I came immediately back over on a temp work permit.

Godd luck!
Old Dec 9th 2006, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

linzee_loulabelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, got my acceptance pack friday, wasnt supposed to come until tuesday!! Going into office monday to get employers reference then all my forms will be done , just gotta keep saving now!
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

DragonBritt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by linzee_loulabelle
Hi all, got my acceptance pack friday, wasnt supposed to come until tuesday!! Going into office monday to get employers reference then all my forms will be done , just gotta keep saving now!
All i received on friday was the Bunac memebership card. I havnt received the acceptance pack and they received my application on monday. i hope il get it soon seems its takin some time
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

linzee_loulabelle is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe cos u applied by post? i havent gotten membership card yet
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:54 am
All BUNAC'd up -> NS

Originally Posted by linzee_loulabelle
Congratulations! Where abouts will you be staying whilst you're over there?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I applied by post, mailed it Friday the 1st 1st class and got acceptance pack on Wednesday and membership thingy on Friday.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:10 pm
All BUNAC'd up -> NS

For those of you that have been accepted, when do you think you'll be flying out, and where do you think you'll fly to?

- KokiriChild
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

For those of you that have been accepted, when do you think you'll be flying out, and where do you think you'll fly to?

- KokiriChild
October 2007 to Vancouver
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:52 pm
All BUNAC'd up -> NS

Originally Posted by adele
October 2007 to Vancouver
I hear BC's nice! I'm flying into Toronto sometime April/May 2007, and then out to Halifax to be closer to my girlfriend :-)

- KokiriChild

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.