Bunac

Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

DragonBritt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bunac

Hiya all

Im currently considering taking on the BUNAC programme as a non-student. I know that it asks for a reference from a recent employer, i have read what is written on the bunac website but im not sure exactly what my employer would need to write, is it just a charecter description saying what kind of person i am or what else is needed other than address and tel number?? Also could those that had experience with BUNAC write how long it took them to find a job and what kind of work they did?? Im just trying to learn as mush as possible before applying for the 2007 programme.

Thank you
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:16 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bunac

Originally Posted by DragonBritt
Hiya all

Im currently considering taking on the BUNAC programme as a non-student. I know that it asks for a reference from a recent employer, i have read what is written on the bunac website but im not sure exactly what my employer would need to write, is it just a charecter description saying what kind of person i am or what else is needed other than address and tel number?? Also could those that had experience with BUNAC write how long it took them to find a job and what kind of work they did?? Im just trying to learn as mush as possible before applying for the 2007 programme.

Thank you
The reference must be written by a former employer, or notable person (not a
member of your immediate family or personal friend). It MUST include the following information: the name of the referee, how they know you (former employer, for example) and how long they have known you & applicants date of birth.

It must also include a brief character reference stating your suitability to the programme (A paragraph confirming that you are of good character - and are
likely to obey the conditions of your work visa and are a suitable
applicant for the work/ holiday programme)".

BUNAC is a fantastic service if your one of the lucky ones to get a visa. I had a job within a week, but that was in Engineering. I'm not sure what type of work you're looking for or where but you should be able to find something to suit your needs!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

toaster is on a distinguished road

I was lucky enough to get a BUNAC visa this year. My letter of reference was from my employer stating length of service, my duties and responsibilities, with a brief paragraph on character.

Canada is booming right now. I doubt you'll face any difficulty finding a job. Where you choose to go in Canada could depend on what work you're looking for, mind you.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by toaster
I was lucky enough to get a BUNAC visa this year. My letter of reference was from my employer stating length of service, my duties and responsibilities, with a brief paragraph on character.

Canada is booming right now. I doubt you'll face any difficulty finding a job. Where you choose to go in Canada could depend on what work you're looking for, mind you.
thanx for the replies I'm hoping to get experience working in canada in either an IT field or GIS though I don't mind if I get neither . I'm hoping to use this opportunity to gain experience working in canada. I welcome any comments or info regarding this

cheers
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

With GIS you'd probably do best out West (esp. Alberta). IT opportunities everywhere, I imagine.

If you are flexible about it, then best to decide where you are interested in living in Canada and what you want out of the experience. It's a massive country and the lifestyle can be different west versus east and big cities versus smaller towns/rural areas.

You'll have to narrow it down somehow!!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

With GIS you'd probably do best out West (esp. Alberta). IT opportunities everywhere, I imagine.

If you are flexible about it, then best to decide where you are interested in living in Canada and what you want out of the experience. It's a massive country and the lifestyle can be different west versus east and big cities versus smaller towns/rural areas.

You'll have to narrow it down somehow!!
Well i dont mind different cultures or lifestyle, i think experiencing different cultures and lifestyles open the mind. I was thinking of narrowing it down to the Ontario province. I dont mind if i have to move between provinces.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Well Ontario is a good start. Big cities are obviously Toronto, the provincial capital and powerhouse; lots of job opportunities in most sectors there. Ottawa is the national capital - mostly federal-related employment, also IT jobs. Otherwise you're looking at smaller cities like Kingston, Thunder Bay and so on...

Maybe some other members could share their views/experiences???
Old Nov 29th 2006, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

linzee_loulabelle is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, im also going to apply on dec 1st for the non-student visa. Im lucky enough to have a friend in Toronto who i will be staying with for the year. If youre thinking about Toronto, its an amazing place, loads to do and see. I have been twice so far, a month in July this year and a week in Sep. When i went in September there were jobs everywhere as far as i could see, im hoping to get some retail work as i already have experience. As for the reference, im getting my former head teacher to write mine, and you dont have to send that off until you get your letter of acceptance. When are you planning to go etc? PM me about it if you like.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Ya i had my mind on toronto aswell but i wouldnt mind working within different cities.

im getting my former head teacher to write mine, and you dont have to send that off until you get your letter of acceptance
I thought the reference has to be sent of with the application form. On the BUNAC website i downloaded the 2006 application form and it says the referene must be sent with the application form. I assume it will be the same for 2007.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

well i went through the whole application process to see, and it doesnt say anything about a reference until the end, there is no place for a reference on the online application and im pretty sure the reference is only when u get accepted, whats the point otherwise lol. When are you planning on going? and where are you from?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by linzee_loulabelle
well i went through the whole application process to see, and it doesnt say anything about a reference until the end, there is no place for a reference on the online application and im pretty sure the reference is only when u get accepted, whats the point otherwise lol. When are you planning on going? and where are you from?
I mean that you have to attach the reference with the application form. But what if you send them the form by mail im sure they need reference. Im applying for the Work Canada programe, are you applying for the same?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

For Work Canada you have to send off your letter of reference with your application (or mail it off to them if you do it on-line). They want to have that assurance in writing that you are of good character before they issue the visa.

linzee_loulabelle - there was a piece on the CBC news just last night about the shortage of retail workers in Toronto (but all over Canada due to less young people entering the work force). You'll have no problem finding a job!!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

For Work Canada you have to send off your letter of reference with your application (or mail it off to them if you do it on-line). They want to have that assurance in writing that you are of good character before they issue the visa.
I emailed BUNAC and they stated that i dont need to send a reference with the application. Not until the second stage

thanks for your message. The reference only needs to be sent with the second stage of the application (sent to you once you have applied to the programme). You only need to send payment with the Work Canada application. There is no difference in applying online
So this means initially i dont send a reference?? I am confused because i had a look at the 2006 work Canada application and it has on there
you must also send a reference with this application
regards
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

swoopdutch is a jewel in the roughswoopdutch is a jewel in the roughswoopdutch is a jewel in the roughswoopdutch is a jewel in the roughswoopdutch is a jewel in the rough

Hi Dragon

I'm looking at heading out to Calgary next year on a Bunac and will also be looking to work in the I.T sector.......will do oil at a push

I rang them yesterday and they confirmed that the applications will be accepted from tomorrow (1 Dec)

I am going to complete the form online and then wait for a request for the reference.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

yeah thats what im going to do too!!! cant wait to apply tomorrow!! when are you planning on going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.