Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BTEC National Diploma in IT - IQAS & WES Evaluation

BTEC National Diploma in IT - IQAS & WES Evaluation

Old Feb 15th 2017, 4:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC National Diploma in IT - IQAS & WES Evaluation

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Isn't a Canadian 2 year diploma an Associates degree?
"Associate degrees in Arts and Science are offered as provincial qualifications in British Columbia. They are similar to the U.S. associate degree, consisting of a two-year course and allowing articulation onto the third year of bachelor's degree courses.

Other provinces of Canada do not offer associate degrees as such, but do offer sub-bachelor's higher education qualifications, e.g. the one year certificate, two year diploma and three year advanced diploma in Ontario.

In Quebec, the Diplôme d'études collégiales (diploma of college studies), taught at post-secondary collèges d'enseignement général et professionnel (colleges of general and professional education; cégeps) can be a two-year pre-university qualification that is a pre-requisite for entry onto (three year) bachelor's degree courses, or a three-year technical programme preparing students for employment."
Old Feb 15th 2017, 5:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
"Associate degrees in Arts and Science are offered as provincial qualifications in British Columbia. They are similar to the U.S. associate degree, consisting of a two-year course and allowing articulation onto the third year of bachelor's degree courses.

Other provinces of Canada do not offer associate degrees as such, but do offer sub-bachelor's higher education qualifications, e.g. the one year certificate, two year diploma and three year advanced diploma in Ontario.

In Quebec, the Diplôme d'études collégiales (diploma of college studies), taught at post-secondary collèges d'enseignement général et professionnel (colleges of general and professional education; cégeps) can be a two-year pre-university qualification that is a pre-requisite for entry onto (three year) bachelor's degree courses, or a three-year technical programme preparing students for employment."

Interesting.

American and Canadian associate degrees are considered equivalent to one year higher education courses such as the Higher National Certificate at level 4 of the British Framework for Higher Education Qualifications. Australian associate degrees, however, are considered equivalent to two year higher education courses such as the Higher National Diploma at level 5 on the framework
So essentially a North American Associate's Degree is the equivalent of a HND, HNC, CertHe or Foundation Degree in Britain.

It would be interesting to see if they apply that logic the other way around. I actually started my own WES application this morning (don't even get me started on that one) and I have added assessment of a couple of academic certificates that I received from university during my degree path just for the hell of it.

Whether or not the CIC would consider them in addition to my degree is a different story but at least it hasn't cost me anything extra.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Just going slightly off topic, but are City and Guilds assessed? I've read mixed reviews in the past!!
Old Feb 19th 2017, 1:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Just going slightly off topic, but are City and Guilds assessed? I've read mixed reviews in the past!!
Aren't those only vocational courses?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't those only vocational courses?
I believe so. My husband did his chef C & G 's many many years ago . I can't figure out whether they can be assessed by WES or another company !
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I believe so. My husband did his chef C & G 's many many years ago . I can't figure out whether they can be assessed by WES or another company !
I think WES mostly cater for academic qualifications but you could always email them and ask.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

I think WES mostly cater for academic qualifications but you could always email them and ask.
That's a good idea. Thanks !
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

That's a good idea. Thanks !
No worries. The worst thing that can happen is that they will mess you around by saying that they will evaluate it and then refuse to do so when they receive the paperwork, in which case you would be entitled to a fee refund IMHO.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

mungozavvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Victoria,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but no City and Guilds are not assessed. They are considered vocational (hands-on). Right, I say not assessed... but WES might assess them and consider them not being post secondary, hence it would be a waste of money. Bear in mind that WES look at the scope and intent of the course. So if a City and Guilds certificate in Hairdressing is assessed, then you really won't gain anything.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mungozavvy
Hi Victoria,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but no City and Guilds are not assessed. They are considered vocational (hands-on). Right, I say not assessed... but WES might assess them and consider them not being post secondary, hence it would be a waste of money. Bear in mind that WES look at the scope and intent of the course. So if a City and Guilds certificate in Hairdressing is assessed, then you really won't gain anything.
I am not sure about City and Guides, but i have a vocational qualification, AVCE (Advanced Vocational Certificate in Education) in ICT and it was converted as a Two year Diploma, if that helps at all.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 10:46 am
Sidecar Falcon

Hi Victoria,

They wouldn't be postgraduate but if you were applying without a degree and WES agreed to assess them then surely they would convert to a 2 year diploma?
Old Feb 20th 2017, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

They wouldn't be postgraduate but if you were applying without a degree and WES agreed to assess them then surely they would convert to a 2 year diploma?
Hi Mate.

Exactly, that's what I said. They wouldn't be considered post secondary and thus it would be a waste of time. However, WES take into consideration the scope and intent of the certificate is well. Some city and guilds diplomas are 2 years i.e hairdressing but WES might consider it a 1 year certificate. This has happened to many people. However, the same is also true in that WES might not even assess city and guild certificates.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 10:59 am
Sidecar Falcon

Hi Mate.

Exactly, that's what I said. They wouldn't be considered post secondary and thus it would be a waste of time. However, WES take into consideration the scope and intent of the certificate is well. Some city and guilds diplomas are 2 years i.e hairdressing but WES might consider it a 1 year certificate. This has happened to many people. However, the same is also true in that WES might not even assess city and guild certificates.
Sorry for some reason I read your post as saying postgraduate instead of post secondary, sorry about that.

It seems that some of their qualifications are purely vocational and others are a form of higher education. Some are even postgraduate level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_a...ndon_Institute
Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Sorry for some reason I read your post as saying postgraduate instead of post secondary, sorry about that.

It seems that some of their qualifications are purely vocational and others are a form of higher education. Some are even postgraduate level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_a...ndon_Institute
haha its fine mate. I actually wrote post graduate when writing it and when i proof read it before i submitted I corrected it. I fell into the same trap

I have my credentials in WES's hands and it is taking forever for my education credentials to be assessed. I am growing so impatient and wished i went with IQAS in the first place
Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:18 am
Sidecar Falcon

haha its fine mate. I actually wrote post graduate when writing it and when i proof read it before i submitted I corrected it. I fell into the same trap

I have my credentials in WES's hands and it is taking forever for my education credentials to be assessed. I am growing so impatient and wished i went with IQAS in the first place
I have seen a lot of complaints regarding their speed of service as of late. When did they receive your paperwork?

I only sent my photocopied certificates to them last week (why that cannot be done online I don't know) and AFAIK my university haven't sent the transcripts yet but on the plus side the university aren't charging me anything for doing that either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.