British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/btec-level-3-subsidiary-diploma-eca-equivalent-907198/)

acrylicus Dec 26th 2017 1:57 am

BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Hi all,

It's time for the quarterly "can I come to Canada" dig.

Basically I am 397 points with no post-secondary education points, as I have 3 A-Levels and one BTEC Level 3.

However I've been reading around and some people seem to think that a BTEC might score me some points; BUT mine is a Level 3 Subsidiary diploma, and no-one online seems to have talked about this.

In short - does anyone have any insight into whether a BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in IT done at a Sixth Form College over 2 years will score me any points.

If it's a maybe, I'll get the ECA, if not then I will go back to moping in England.

Thanks,
Josh

Vulcanoid Dec 26th 2017 2:13 am

Re: BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma - ECA Equivalent

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12405215)
Hi all,

It's time for the quarterly "can I come to Canada" dig.

Basically I am 397 points with no post-secondary education points, as I have 3 A-Levels and one BTEC Level 3.

However I've been reading around and some people seem to think that a BTEC might score me some points; BUT mine is a Level 3 Subsidiary diploma, and no-one online seems to have talked about this.

In short - does anyone have any insight into whether a BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in IT done at a Sixth Form College over 2 years will score me any points.

If it's a maybe, I'll get the ECA, if not then I will go back to moping in England.

Thanks,
Josh

According to UCAS, BTEC Level 3 is equivalent to A levels, so that's high school equivalent (https://www.ucas.com/ucas/16-18-choi.../btec-diplomas).

acrylicus Dec 26th 2017 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12405218)
According to UCAS, BTEC Level 3 is equivalent to A levels, so that's high school equivalent (https://www.ucas.com/ucas/16-18-choi.../btec-diplomas).

In short - I won't get any points then :(

Stuck on 397 and worried since I have been back in England for 2.5yrs now (since doing IEC skilled work for 2yrs 2013-2015).

Vulcanoid Dec 26th 2017 2:20 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12405219)
In short - I won't get any points then :(

Stuck on 397 and worried since I have been back in England for 2.5yrs now (since doing IEC skilled work for 2yrs 2013-2015).

I know nothing about this field - but if you could find a post-secondary college qualification which lasts a year or more, that could get you more than another 50 points - wouldn't be as much as a degree, but would certainly put you in contention (unless you start losing points rapidly due to age). Worth thinking about.

I presume she said no/you decided not to ask?

acrylicus Dec 26th 2017 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12405222)
I know nothing about this field - but if you could find a post-secondary college qualification which lasts a year or more, that could get you more than another 50 points - wouldn't be as much as a degree, but would certainly put you in contention (unless you start losing points rapidly due to age). Worth thinking about.

I presume she said no/you decided not to ask?

I am 24 - so am in the green there, I am more worried about the "work in the last 3 years, within Canada" as that is due to expire within 6 months (as I am coming up to my 3 years back in England mark).

The girl and I didn't work out (she was young, not ready for that level of commitment).

The way I see it, I have 3 options:

- *somehow* boost my points
- LMIA (5+ years experience, but it's computer networking so will have competition)
- Study visa (but I will need considerable savings for this)

If you have any other ideas, please do let me know, I'd donate both my legs to get back :(

christmasoompa Dec 26th 2017 8:03 am

Why not just apply for the ECA and see what you get? I might be missing something, but if there's a possibility of getting more points than you think you currently have, surely it's worth spending the money to check and know for sure?

acrylicus Jan 2nd 2018 1:38 am

Would anyone happen to know if a Certificate of Higher Education, a full time 12 month course, from the Open university would qualify?

I would expect so...

Currently this is plan A; and I have 9 days to register! Any insight would be HUGELY appreciated.

Cheers,
Josh

christmasoompa Jan 2nd 2018 7:46 am

I would think it would, but as I said above if I were you I'd just apply for the EXA with everything you've got and see what comes back. We can all speculate but I think it's worth spending the relatively small amount of money so that you get a definitive answer.

What do you mean 9 days to register? For what?

acrylicus Jan 2nd 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12408853)
I would think it would, but as I said above if I were you I'd just apply for the EXA with everything you've got and see what comes back. We can all speculate but I think it's worth spending the relatively small amount of money so that you get a definitive answer.

What do you mean 9 days to register? For what?

According to this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...uation-856022/

CES consider a lvl 3 BTEC a valid 2 year course, although mine isn't a National Diploma, rather a Subsidiary Diploma... All I need is 1 year, so I will give it a go via CES (After I give them a call on Thursday, when they open).

The registration for the course closes in 9 days :)

Also... I was worried that I left Canada 2.5 years ago, and one of the questions is "how much work experience do you have in Canada in the last 3 years" - but all the CRS calculators, including the one on CIC, say 10 years and not 3.

If that's the case, it's a huge load of pressure off me. Does anyone know for certain if it's within 3 or 10 years?

Cheers!
Josh

christmasoompa Jan 2nd 2018 1:49 pm

Ah, I see, so it's not a qualification you've got already?

The 3 years/10 years thing depends on what you're looking at it for as both are valid - the 3 years is relevant to CEC applications (to be eligible for that program, you must have at least one year's skilled experience in Canada in the past three years), but the 10 years is for points purposes on the CRS.

HTH.

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 3:30 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12409125)
Ah, I see, so it's not a qualification you've got already?

The 3 years/10 years thing depends on what you're looking at it for as both are valid - the 3 years is relevant to CEC applications (to be eligible for that program, you must have at least one year's skilled experience in Canada in the past three years), but the 10 years is for points purposes on the CRS.

HTH.

I have the BTEC, I am planing on doing a new certification (for which registration closes in 8 days) if I can't ride the BTEC to Canada.

You mention the CEC, I thought that was retired? The fact that they stopped doing that was the reason I couldn't stay in Canada in the first place. Did EE not kill it?

Vulcanoid Jan 3rd 2018 3:39 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409637)
I have the BTEC, I am planing on doing a new certification (for which registration closes in 8 days) if I can't ride the BTEC to Canada.

You mention the CEC, I thought that was retired? The fact that they stopped doing that was the reason I couldn't stay in Canada in the first place. Did EE not kill it?

No, EE is the blanket term for Federal employment-based economic immigration. It has subparts - Federal Skilled Worker is probably the most talked about (67 points, then 410-450 points, etc), CEC is another one (at least 12 months skilled work experience in Canada).

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12409640)
No, EE is the blanket term for Federal employment-based economic immigration. It has subparts - Federal Skilled Worker is probably the most talked about (67 points, then 410-450 points, etc), CEC is another one (at least 12 months skilled work experience in Canada).

So FSW is what I am going for now I suppose, given that I will have 489 points if I can get 1yrs post-secondary approved via ECA then.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the "67 points" aspect of all this?

Thanks for all the help

Vulcanoid Jan 3rd 2018 3:56 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409642)
So FSW is what I am going for now I suppose, given that I will have 489 points if I can get 1yrs post-secondary approved via ECA then.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the "67 points" aspect of all this?

Thanks for all the help

If you want to apply through Federal Skilled Worker, you need to enter the pool. That takes 67 FSW points, as assessed at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html.

You then need a different number of Comprehensive Ranking System points - the lowest it's ever gone is about 420, normally hovers around 450ish, sometimes as high as 800, to get drawn out of the pool. CRS points can be assessed in the grid at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html.

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12409646)
If you want to apply through Federal Skilled Worker, you need to enter the pool. That takes 67 FSW points, as assessed at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html.

You then need a different number of Comprehensive Ranking System points - the lowest it's ever gone is about 420, normally hovers around 450ish, sometimes as high as 800, to get drawn out of the pool. CRS points can be assessed in the grid at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html.

OK so I only have 64 points on FSW... I was not aware of these "subclasses"...

I left Canada June 2015, after working there for 24 months since 2013. If I were to apply before CEC June this year, would that count? Or have I missed the boat on that?

Vulcanoid Jan 3rd 2018 4:09 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409647)
OK so I only have 64 points on FSW... I was not aware of these "subclasses"...

I left Canada June 2015, after working there for 24 months since 2013. If I were to apply before CEC June this year, would that count? Or have I missed the boat on that?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nce-class.html

"To qualify for the CEC through Express Entry, you must have:

at least 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last three years (before you apply)."

So if you apply today (Jan 3rd 2018 in the UK), you will need to have done at least 12 months skilled work in Canada after Jan 3rd 2015 in order to qualify for CEC.

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12409648)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nce-class.html

"To qualify for the CEC through Express Entry, you must have:

at least 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last three years (before you apply)."

So if you apply today (Jan 3rd 2018 in the UK), you will need to have done at least 12 months skilled work in Canada after Jan 3rd 2015 in order to qualify for CEC.

Thanks Vulcanoid.

I guess I need to get some additional FSW points while I am at it... I have 66 points after looking again. That is a real ball ache!

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 4:28 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409653)
Thanks Vulcanoid.

I guess I need to get some additional FSW points while I am at it... I have 66 points after looking again. That is a real ball ache!

Woah hold on - scratch that.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

Language skills (I am british): 24
Education (1 yr post-secondary): 15
Experience (5 years): 15
Age (24): 12
Arranged employment: 0
Adaptability (1 year past work in Canada): 10

The 1 year past work in Canada does not specify a time frame, but people online seem to think its 10 years.

Does this mean I have enough points? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

christmasoompa Jan 3rd 2018 8:51 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409655)
Woah hold on - scratch that.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

Language skills (I am british): 24
Education (1 yr post-secondary): 15
Experience (5 years): 15
Age (24): 12
Arranged employment: 0
Adaptability (1 year past work in Canada): 10

The 1 year past work in Canada does not specify a time frame, but people online seem to think its 10 years.

Does this mean I have enough points? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, but only if your BTEC is accepted. Forgive me for being a bit blunt, but I think you really need to focus if your aim is to get back to Canada.

You've been trying for years but didn't realise that you could have applied under CEC and could be there with PR by now? Or that there is a minimum points score for FSW? I think you need to go back to basics, research it all and actually commit to going - that means spending money on your IELTS, and your ECA so that you know your points score for sure and can move forward.

Good luck.

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 8:59 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12409738)
Yes, but only if your BTEC is accepted. Forgive me for being a bit blunt, but I think you really need to focus if your aim is to get back to Canada.

You've been trying for years but didn't realise that you could have applied under CEC and could be there with PR by now? Or that there is a minimum points score for FSW? I think you need to go back to basics, research it all and actually commit to going - that means spending money on your IELTS, and your ECA so that you know your points score for sure and can move forward.

Good luck.

CEC still requires the ~410+ CRS points right? Which is why I never pursued it (except when I did, before EE).

I don't disagree, I decided that my new years resolution this year is to make 2018 my last year in the UK - so the real effort starts now. If the BTEC isn't enough, I plan on doing a 1yr course at the open university which should tide me through. FSW seems to be the way to go now, I just need the boost from education.

Thanks for all your help throughout the years, and keep an eye out for my "I finally did it" message ;)

christmasoompa Jan 3rd 2018 9:07 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409742)
CEC still requires the ~410+ CRS points right? Which is why I never pursued it (except when I did, before EE).

Yes. When did you apply under CEC and why wasn't it successful?

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409742)
I don't disagree, I decided that my new years resolution this year is to make 2018 my last year in the UK - so the real effort starts now. If the BTEC isn't enough, I plan on doing a 1yr course at the open university which should tide me through. FSW seems to be the way to go now, I just need the boost from education.

FSW also still requires the 410+ CRS points though, so if you weren't eligible for CEC due to that, are you sure FSW is an option? Any EE route (FST, FST, CEC, PNP) requires those points, they're all selected on the basis of the CRS.

I would get your ECA first if so though, you might find the BTEC is enough. No point in doing another course if it's not needed. Remember that your ECA is valid for 5 years, so it won't be wasted money.

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 9:12 am

I am doing the ECA, I've emailed WES and CES in advance, if I don't get a meaningful answer by then I am going to try an ECA with WES. Failing that I will apply for the course. My current CRS score is 389, it goes up to 489 or thereabouts with 1 year post-secondary.

I applied for CEC late 2014, my application arrived in Sydney NS the exact day they stopped doing CEC, so my application was never processed.

DigitalGhost Jan 3rd 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12409748)

I would get your ECA first if so though, you might find the BTEC is enough. No point in doing another course if it's not needed. Remember that your ECA is valid for 5 years, so it won't be wasted money.

Ditto to this. I submitted my ECA last year based on the qualifications that my university awarded to me and it turned out that I had the equivalent a 4 year Bachelors and a 2 year Associates degree in Canada and both were eligible for CRS. You never know until you try.

EDIT: I doubt you'll get any advance assurances from WES or CES. They will likely just request that you submit your documents with an application. That's where the money is for them after all and the Canadian education system is all about raking in the dough.

christmasoompa Jan 3rd 2018 9:20 am

I doubt you'll get a meaningful answer about an ECA tbh, the only way to know for sure is to apply but if you do that, at least then you can calculate yoru points accurately instead of guessing and will know for sure if you need to get them up or not.

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409755)
My current CRS score is 389, it goes up to 489 or thereabouts with 1 year post-secondary.

If you're single, you'd get another 68 points for a year's post secondary education. So still borderline but hopefully ok.

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409755)
I applied for CEC late 2014, my application arrived in Sydney NS the exact day they stopped doing CEC, so my application was never processed.

They've never 'stopped doing CEC'? Do you mean you applied after the cap for the year was filled? I assume you didn't try again in 2015 under the new year's cap?

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12409757)
I doubt you'll get a meaningful answer about an ECA tbh, the only way to know for sure is to apply but if you do that, at least then you can calculate yoru points accurately instead of guessing and will know for sure if you need to get them up or not.

If you're single, you'd get another 56 points for a year's post secondary education. So 445, still borderline but hopefully ok.

They've never 'stopped doing CEC'? Do you mean you applied after the cap for the year was filled? I assume you didn't try again in 2015 under the new year's cap?

Sorry what I meant was, CEC was rolled into EE and I didn't have enough points for it (or so I thought).

The calculator on CICs website gave me 100 points for 1yr post secondary. Either way, as long as I meet the criteria, I am happy :)

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12409756)
Ditto to this. I submitted my ECA last year based on the qualifications that my university awarded to me and it turned out that I had the equivalent a 4 year Bachelors and a 2 year Associates degree in Canada and both were eligible for CRS. You never know until you try.

EDIT: I doubt you'll get any advance assurances from WES or CES. They will likely just request that you submit your documents with an application. That's where the money is for them after all and the Canadian education system is all about raking in the dough.

Wow, out of interest what qualifications did you submit?

DigitalGhost Jan 3rd 2018 9:54 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409764)
Wow, out of interest what qualifications did you submit?

My degree and the CertHE they gave to me after I completed my first 120 credits.

christmasoompa Jan 3rd 2018 10:33 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409763)
The calculator on CICs website gave me 100 points for 1yr post secondary. Either way, as long as I meet the criteria, I am happy :)

Hmmmm. I've just done a rough tot up of points and I'm not seeing how you'd score enough on the CRS even with a year's post-secondary education.

Just checking, but you didn't work 2 full years in Canada I assume if you were on the IEC? So I've given you points for 1 year's work there, is that right?

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12409802)
Hmmmm. I've just done a rough tot up of points and I'm not seeing how you'd score enough on the CRS even with a year's post-secondary education.

Just checking, but you didn't work 2 full years in Canada I assume if you were on the IEC? So I've given you points for 1 year's work there, is that right?

I did 2x IEC's and worked from the day of activation to the day of leaving. I just did the calculator again found here:

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

and came up with the following:

Core/Human capital factors

Age = 110
Level of education = 90
Study in Canada = undefined
Official Languages = 136
First Official Language = 136
Second Official Language = 0
Canadian work experience = 53
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 389

Spouse factors

Level of education = 0
First Official Languages = 0
Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 0

Skill transferability factors

Education

A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
B) Canadian work experience and education = 25
Subtotal = 50

Foreign work experience

A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 50
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 100

Comprehensive Ranking System formula

Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 489

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 0

Grand total = 489
I also did it for 1 years experience in Canada, just in case and it came out as 464 points.

DigitalGhost Jan 3rd 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409919)
I did 2x IEC's and worked from the day of activation to the day of leaving. I just did the calculator again found here:

I also did it for 1 years experience in Canada, just in case and it came out as 464 points.

If you can prove 2 years of qualifying work experience, especially beyond all reasonable doubt, then claim for 2 years.

My own work experience was there was more complicated than most and had to be backed up by a lot of paperwork but the CIC still accepted it.

christmasoompa Jan 3rd 2018 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409919)

OK, but according to your first post, you worked on IEC from July 2013 to June 2015 - that's not two full years? "- I activated my IEC in July 2013, I left the country in June 2015"

If you're scoring 489 then you're laughing and can apply now surely? Or even 464 if it's one year's work experience? That's more than you originally said, I haven't checked your answers to see what's changed but if you're sure about that score then I'd get a wiggle on and apply asap!

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12409928)
OK, but according to your first post, you worked on IEC from July 2013 to June 2015 - that's not two full years? "- I activated my IEC in July 2013, I left the country in June 2015"

If you're scoring 489 then you're laughing and can apply now surely? Or even 464 if it's one year's work experience? That's more than you originally said, I haven't checked your answers to see what's changed but if you're sure about that score then I'd get a wiggle on and apply asap!

That's my score if my BTEC is eligible as one years post secondary. I am going to apply for the ECA Monday, we'll see what they come back with!

And you are right, it was 23 months, not quite 2 years (although the company did keep me on as a remote worker until September...). I think I'll rather not risk it and put down 1 year, as it still garners me enough points if I can get the points for education.

christmasoompa Jan 3rd 2018 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12409931)
That's my score if my BTEC is eligible as one years post secondary. I am going to apply for the ECA Monday, we'll see what they come back with!

And you are right, it was 23 months, not quite 2 years (although the company did keep me on as a remote worker until September...). I think I'll rather not risk it and put down 1 year, as it still garners me enough points if I can get the points for education.

Remote working doesn't count, only work experience actually in Canada counts, so 23 months would be 1 year as only full years count. But as you say, you may have enough anyway - fingers very tightly crossed!

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 5:18 pm

Got home from work and thought "screw it" so I've applied via WES for an ECA. I'll let you know in a month or so how it goes :)

christmasoompa Jan 3rd 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12410196)
Got home from work and thought "screw it" so I've applied via WES for an ECA. I'll let you know in a month or so how it goes :)

Good for you! Fingers crossed for the next month then (it'll be awfully hard working and cooking dinner for the kids with them crossed, but hey :lol:).

acrylicus Jan 3rd 2018 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12410198)
Good for you! Fingers crossed for the next month then (it'll be awfully hard working and cooking dinner for the kids with them crossed, but hey :lol:).

Hahaha thank you!

DigitalGhost Jan 4th 2018 9:42 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12410196)

Budget for a couple of months. As with most Canadian businesses, their quoted timescales mean very little unfortunately, at least if my experience of them was anything to go by.

acrylicus Feb 1st 2018 8:51 pm

At long last I have heard back from WES - but it's not exactly good news.

They want my "Examination Results, Certificate of Secondary Education". Which sounds like they may want my A-Levels or GCSE's... that's going to be a lot of work and money to get all of them together from the examining bodies.

Or am I interpreting this wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/n9zHl

DigitalGhost Feb 2nd 2018 9:03 am

Originally Posted by acrylicus (Post 12432814)
At long last I have heard back from WES - but it's not exactly good news.

They want my "Examination Results, Certificate of Secondary Education". Which sounds like they may want my A-Levels or GCSE's... that's going to be a lot of work and money to get all of them together from the examining bodies.

Or am I interpreting this wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/n9zHl

Did you include your GCSE's or A-Levels on the WES application?

If you have anything higher then they can be completely left off.

acrylicus Feb 2nd 2018 9:23 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12433033)
Did you include your GCSE's or A-Levels on the WES application?

If you have anything higher then they can be completely left off.

No - just my L3 BTEC and nothing more.

Any idea what they are expecting me to send with that message?