British vs Irish passport

Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Catjemmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British vs Irish passport

Hi I'm starting the process at the moment for our family to hopefully move to Canada. We're going for PR with myself as the main applicant. I'd be under as FSW. Hopefully we'll get it through the EE system. I'm going to get my ECA started this week and try to book my IELTS. Also the small matter of telling my boss...!!

My main question is - my 3 year old son has an Irish passport, I have British at the moment but I was planning on applying for Irish next (my passport runs out in June) and my fiancé will be applying for Irish next which is in 2017 sometime. Does it change my chances if I change to an Irish passport seeing as I'm a British by birth but my dad is Irish and that's how I'm entitled to an Irish passport.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British vs Irish passport

Makes no difference at all.

What do you score on the CRS? Unless you are sure you will get an ITA, I personally wouldn't tell your boss until you've actually got a visa in hand btw, not worth risking in case you don't get PR and then find yourself without a job!

Best of luck.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:52 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catjemmy
Hi I'm starting the process at the moment for our family to hopefully move to Canada. We're going for PR with myself as the main applicant. I'd be under as FSW. Hopefully we'll get it through the EE system. I'm going to get my ECA started this week and try to book my IELTS. Also the small matter of telling my boss...!!

My main question is - my 3 year old son has an Irish passport, I have British at the moment but I was planning on applying for Irish next (my passport runs out in June) and my fiancé will be applying for Irish next which is in 2017 sometime. Does it change my chances if I change to an Irish passport seeing as I'm a British by birth but my dad is Irish and that's how I'm entitled to an Irish passport.

Thanks!!
My gut feeling would be that now is not the best time to be fiddling around with your "nationality". It just raises a red flag.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ooh I'm sure I've checked my score - I can't remember. I'll do it again and see. We've decided not to go through an agency and just do it all ourselves but an agency guy I was talking to said I need to tell my boss straight away because I need work references at the very beginning of the process...is this not the case?
Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvy
My gut feeling would be that now is not the best time to be fiddling around with your "nationality". It just raises a red flag.
OK so would you say stick with British passport or make sure all 3 of us have the same passports? Which would be Irish? We got questioned in Turkey (i know a completely different country and situation) in July because myself and fiancé held British passports and our son has an Irish one!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh I'm sure I've checked my score - I can't remember. I'll do it again and see. We've decided not to go through an agency and just do it all ourselves but an agency guy I was talking to said I need to tell my boss straight away because I need work references at the very beginning of the process...is this not the case?
Thanks for the help!
Nope, it's a load of rubbish - and one of the reasons we often say to not bother with 'agencies'. If you really feel you need help, then use a proper immi lawyer.

You won't need work references until you actually receive an ITA - that may be straight away if your score is high enough, or it may not happen until you're in Canada working on a TWP if it's not! At the 'very beginning' you just need your IELTS, your ECA, and info. Other documents aren't requested until the ITA is sent.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 4th 2016 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Makes no difference at all.

What do you score on the CRS? Unless you are sure you will get an ITA, I personally wouldn't tell your boss until you've actually got a visa in hand btw, not worth risking in case you don't get PR and then find yourself without a job!

Best of luck.
It's a bit of a guessing game actually because there's a few questions on there I'm not sure what I would score...plus I haven't done my IELTS exam yet. Is there any way i can find out for sure what i'd score? I'd be intrigued to find out if I need work references immediately and then I know whether I need to tell my boss immediately too!

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's a bit of a guessing game actually because there's a few questions on there I'm not sure what I would score...plus I haven't done my IELTS exam yet. Is there any way i can find out for sure what i'd score? I'd be intrigued to find out if I need work references immediately and then I know whether I need to tell my boss immediately too!

Thanks
You definitely don't need employment refs to start with.

You just have to guess as best as you can, assume for language that you'll score the max for IELTS as a native English speaker.

HTH.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

You definitely don't need employment refs to start with.

You just have to guess as best as you can, assume for language that you'll score the max for IELTS as a native English speaker.

HTH.
OK brilliant thank you! I think I'll have to tell him before going for the red seal exam in Canada as I'm presuming that will be quite soon and I'll need the time off for it! Have you any idea how many points are required for the CRS?
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

OK brilliant thank you! I think I'll have to tell him before going for the red seal exam in Canada as I'm presuming that will be quite soon and I'll need the time off for it! Have you any idea how many points are required for the CRS?
Why not just tell him you're going for a holiday? Up to you, and very dependant on the kind of relationship you've got with him of course though.

And about 450-480 as a minimum.

HTH.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Why not just tell him you're going for a holiday? Up to you, and very dependant on the kind of relationship you've got with him of course though.

And about 450-480 as a minimum.

HTH.
I think I'm sitting about 443...I'm not sure if all of the questions apply to me - foreign work experience, Canadian work experience - I don't know if they are classed as different or the same? The agent I spoke to at first said we'd be a sure thing. When do u find out your actual points? Is it once you apply through the cic website?
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

OK so would you say stick with British passport or make sure all 3 of us have the same passports? Which would be Irish? We got questioned in Turkey (i know a completely different country and situation) in July because myself and fiancé held British passports and our son has an Irish one!
I don't think its really a problem. We were questioned in Munich as I was the only one travelling on an EU passport whereas the rest of the family were on Canadian ones. Just explained that I was a dual citizen and wanted to use the EU passport in Europe, but my mum chose to use Canadian, and the other three aren't actually dual citizens yet (still waiting for it to be granted). There was no problem once it was explained. I think the officer was more peeved that I had placed my EU passport at the top of the pile and cut the non-EU nationals queue and took us all through the EU nationals queue, making it look like we were all travelling as EUs. Why not keep both British and Irish current for all 3 of you? As oompa said it will make no difference which nationality you apply with, but once you apply, if you declare yourself as British or Irish, you have to use that nationality for the entire process AFAIK. Obviously you are still a dual citizen but just need to choose one for the purposes of Canadian immigration. Only exception as far as I know is dual British/Irish citizens who use both nationalities for IECs.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

The different passports are really not going to be an issue. Do whatever is most convenient for you.

When I applied, a long time ago, there was actually a question somewhere in the forms about other nationalities/passports. Dont know if there still is. My dual citizen children's landing papers, & eventually PR cards, reference French as citizenship, while they travelled/travel on British passports. It's not been a problem.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm sitting about 443...I'm not sure if all of the questions apply to me - foreign work experience, Canadian work experience - I don't know if they are classed as different or the same? The agent I spoke to at first said we'd be a sure thing. When do u find out your actual points? Is it once you apply through the cic website?
Foreign work experience in this context is any work experience that you have in a country that isn't Canada (so will definitely apply to you)!
Old Jan 6th 2016, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
Foreign work experience in this context is any work experience that you have in a country that isn't Canada (so will definitely apply to you)!
Thank you. So my work experience in Canada will count and my foreign work experience will be working here at home and in the uk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.