Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Brit wanting to marry a canadian in canada

Brit wanting to marry a canadian in canada

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Harry1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit wanting to marry a canadian in canada

Hi all,

Any help that anyone could provide would be much appreciated!

I want to marry my partner in canada, but i wanted to know if i would need any sort of visa to travel over and do this or as a Brit national travel over as normal with out and just get married..
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:12 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit wanting to marry a canadian in canada

I believe each province is responsible for their own rules.

I didn't need anything special beyond the marriage licence when I got married in Ontario.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harry1981
Hi all,

Any help that anyone could provide would be much appreciated!

I want to marry my partner in canada, but i wanted to know if i would need any sort of visa to travel over and do this or as a Brit national travel over as normal with out and just get married..
Canada has no fiance visa (unlike the US). You travel, and, meeting the requirements of the province where you want to marry, get married.

Former Lancastrian can tell you whether or not you're heading for an interesting conversation with the border officer when you tell them why you're visiting.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Canada has no fiance visa (unlike the US). You travel, and, meeting the requirements of the province where you want to marry, get married.

Former Lancastrian can tell you whether or not you're heading for an interesting conversation with the border officer when you tell them why you're visiting.
Well it would get interesting if they only had a one way ticket and wanted to remain permanently in Canada and expecting to get a job.
No special visa required but definitely would need to satisfy an officer that they meet the requirement entry provisions of a visitor and that they have sufficient funds etc and will not remain in Canada without going through the spousal sponsorship provisions.