Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Bringing my lovely mother to Canada

Bringing my lovely mother to Canada

Old Mar 30th 2017, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

jayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing my lovely mother to Canada

Bonjour!

So i got my PR last year so i'm currently living out my days in Calgary.

My mum is 56 years old, i was looking at the super visa that allows her to be here for 2 years, we plan on having her live in our house and look after our child once my wife gives birth. like a live in nanny kind of thing.

Now, by the time she goes back she will probably be 59, meaning she is due to retire in a few years.

I was looking at the sponsor parents to canada, it looks like they are still working on applications from jan 2014 and they pick 10,000 at random.

Whats the dealio with if shes retired? can she just come here or does she still have to go through the motions?

Thank you so much in advanced.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 12:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my lovely mother to Canada

Originally Posted by jayca
Whats the dealio with if shes retired? can she just come here or does she still have to go through the motions?
She can keep her motions to herself! Retirement gives no advantage to immigration. Only options are
Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents
or the Super Visa.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Bonjour!

So i got my PR last year so i'm currently living out my days in Calgary.

My mum is 56 years old, i was looking at the super visa that allows her to be here for 2 years, we plan on having her live in our house and look after our child once my wife gives birth. like a live in nanny kind of thing.

Now, by the time she goes back she will probably be 59, meaning she is due to retire in a few years.

I was looking at the sponsor parents to canada, it looks like they are still working on applications from jan 2014 and they pick 10,000 at random.

Thank you so much in advanced.
Poor mother. Being brought over to be a child carer!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 31st 2017, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

jayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
Poor mother. Being brought over to be a child carer!!!!!!!!!!
Haha, i'm an only child and i've laid roots here, shes single and lonely and wants to be a part of my childs life, she is actually excited by the idea haha.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to sponsor your mum for permanent residency. Aviator gave you the link in his post.

We applied for the Super Visa almost 4 years ago...it took approx 6 months. Jan 2014 our daughter sponsored us for permanent residency. Last March we renewed our SV for another 2 years. Last December we became permanent residents...took exactly 3 years. I believe the timeline for processing PR is getting shorter now.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 1:08 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, i'm an only child and i've laid roots here, shes single and lonely and wants to be a part of my childs life, she is actually excited by the idea haha.
If she is on a visitor visa, you may not want to mention she is your child carer.

If she is single and lonely, could she not get a toy boy?
Old Mar 31st 2017, 1:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If she is on a visitor visa, you may not want to mention she is your child carer.

If she is single and lonely, could she not get a toy boy?
I think the SV has the same restrictions. Looking after grandchildren (childcare) could be considered working and taking a job from a Canadian.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You will have to sponsor your mum for permanent residency. Aviator gave you the link in his post.

We applied for the Super Visa almost 4 years ago...it took approx 6 months. Jan 2014 our daughter sponsored us for permanent residency. Last March we renewed our SV for another 2 years. Last December we became permanent residents...took exactly 3 years. I believe the timeline for processing PR is getting shorter now.
Perfect, thank you
Old Mar 31st 2017, 5:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

In case you're not aware, you'll need to show you've earned over the LICO in the 3 years prior to applying, but it must be from Canadian sources. So in other words, you can't sponsor your mother until you've worked in Canada for the full 3 years before applying. You mention landing last year, so if you weren't previously there on another kind of status allowing you to work, you'll have to wait a while before you can sponsor.

And yes, definitely don't say she'll be your childcare if only on visitor status - that would be seen as taking a job from a Canadian imo, and therefore something she'd need a work permit for.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 31st 2017 at 5:40 am.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 10:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Perfect, thank you
Following on from what Christmasoompa said...your mum could apply for the SV and stay in Canada until you meet the residency and salary restrictions. The downside is your mum will have to purchase Canadian healthcare insurance. Depending on her health it will probably be $1K+ per year. If your mum's health deteriates while she is waiting for PR it may disqualify her....i.e. If the government considers that an applicant will cost the health service more than approx $6,000 per year.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In case you're not aware, you'll need to show you've earned over the LICO in the 3 years prior to applying, but it must be from Canadian sources. So in other words, you can't sponsor your mother until you've worked in Canada for the full 3 years before
applying. You mention landing last year, so if you weren't previously there on another kind of status allowing you to work, you'll have to wait a while before you can sponsor.

And yes, definitely don't say she'll be your childcare if only on visitor status - that would be seen as taking a job from a Canawwwdian imo, and therefore something she'd need a work permit for.

HTH.
Thank you.

I was previously on an LMIA for 2 years before getting my PR earning over 55k per year so I should be okay?..

Sounds like something I should probably start now as I know cic likes to take its sweet time with stuff.

Thank you

I have been work
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:05 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

new mum + new baby + live in mother in law = disaster waiting to happen
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Hah, I would like to think not ☺️
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Didn't have the first two but my live-in MIL's great.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Right now, your ONLY option is the Supervisa, 2017 applications for the sponsored parent/grandparent visa closed at the beginning of February for this year.

"Live in nanny kind of thing" won't fly. That's work.

Read and check carefully the links & advice you've been given above.

Last edited by Shirtback; Mar 31st 2017 at 10:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.