Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A bit of an odd scenario (I think)

A bit of an odd scenario (I think)

Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:03 am
Just Joined

mrpmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A bit of an odd scenario (I think)

I currently work from home as a computer programmer.

I'd like to sell my house, buy a house in Canada (outright), and continue to do the same remote job for my employer in the UK. This seems like an odd scenario to me, emigrating to Canada but continuing to work remotely for a UK employer.

Are immigration going to frown at this, or are they going to think "Great, he's not taking any jobs AND he's bringing money in to the community"?

What would be my best approach? What do I need to be aware of? Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Pete
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

BMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant futureBMM69 has a brilliant future
Default Re: A bit of an odd scenario (I think)

Hi Pete,

I am doing a similar thing to you in that I will (hopefully) be doing work for a uk client when I move to Canada. However I applied in 07 under the old SW route as I had enough points. We have just had medicals done this month.

I know things have changed now and unfortunately I cannot help with your scenario but I was wondering if I could PM you with a couple of questions on remote working????

BMM69
Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:07 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong but the purchasing of a house outright in Canada by a non-resident isn't a problem. However, when you enter the country immigration might be a bit funny if you happen to mention what exactly it is you are doing, as they will probably see you as trying to work in Canada illegally, as you're buying a property that you plan to reside in but cannot legally work in Canada.

If you enter Canada on a visitors visa then you can stay in Canada for the length of that visa (I think it's typically six months) but you are not legally entitled to work.

I would certainly discuss talking to an immigration lawyer about this situation as it is somewhat unique, but my guess is that it would be very difficult to do what you want.

I came over to Canada as an intra-company transferee from our UK office to our Mississauga office (Technical Manager for a computer software developer, so it is one of the in demand applications). I applied and obtained a work permit at Port of Entry (Pearson Airport) and was able to renew that for a fair few years.

If your company happens to have an office over here then it is possible that you could qualify under the same route I did, we certainly had programmers come over too, though again, we had an office rather than a home office and I have a feeling I've read somewhere that for this type of setup you are not allowed to work from home.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sharkus
I could be wrong but the purchasing of a house outright in Canada by a non-resident isn't a problem. However, when you enter the country immigration might be a bit funny if you happen to mention what exactly it is you are doing, as they will probably see you as trying to work in Canada illegally, as you're buying a property that you plan to reside in but cannot legally work in Canada.

If you enter Canada on a visitors visa then you can stay in Canada for the length of that visa (I think it's typically six months) but you are not legally entitled to work.

I would certainly discuss talking to an immigration lawyer about this situation as it is somewhat unique, but my guess is that it would be very difficult to do what you want.

I came over to Canada as an intra-company transferee from our UK office to our Mississauga office (Technical Manager for a computer software developer, so it is one of the in demand applications). I applied and obtained a work permit at Port of Entry (Pearson Airport) and was able to renew that for a fair few years.

If your company happens to have an office over here then it is possible that you could qualify under the same route I did, we certainly had programmers come over too, though again, we had an office rather than a home office and I have a feeling I've read somewhere that for this type of setup you are not allowed to work from home.
They have no offices over there so I can't do that.

It has taken you over 2 years to move to Canada? Ouch! And to think that people from Poland just jump on a coach and then the next thing you know they are living in Peterborough!

I'd have thought a skilled worker, buying a house with his family, and not even turkajerb (taking someone else's job) would be something they'd welcome.

More than a year is likely to be too prohibitive due to the ages of my children (school exams etc).

I will need to talk to someone professional, any recommendations?
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: A bit of an odd scenario (I think)

Originally Posted by BMM69
Hi Pete,

I am doing a similar thing to you in that I will (hopefully) be doing work for a uk client when I move to Canada. However I applied in 07 under the old SW route as I had enough points. We have just had medicals done this month.

I know things have changed now and unfortunately I cannot help with your scenario but I was wondering if I could PM you with a couple of questions on remote working????

BMM69
Sure, once I have posted this I should be able to pm you
Old Feb 14th 2010, 5:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy whatever property you like in Canada. However you cannot live or work in Canada, for yourself or anyone else without a residency permit or work permit. You cannot get healthcare coverage without a SIN nor can you file taxes without one, you cannot get a SIN without residency permit.

You would be admitted as a visitor, max 183 days at a time and there is always a risk that the permit may not be renewed. Get caught working without a permit and any hopes of permanent residency go up the funnel.

If immigration get whiff that you may be staying or working without a permit, you would likley be turned away at the POE.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mrpmorris
It has taken you over 2 years to move to Canada? Ouch! And to think that people from Poland just jump on a coach and then the next thing you know they are living in Peterborough!

I am sorry, but what exactly does the Polish people moving to the UK, Pope being a Catholic or the price of tea in China has to do with you imigrating to Canada? Just because British laws allows Polish people to come to the UK doesnt means that Canada is obligated to let you get on the bus and move to Penticton.

Ray
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by raymasa
I am sorry, but what exactly does the Polish people moving to the UK...
I'm just saying that the contrast is massive, do you have an objection of some kind?
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:09 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Is your occupation is on "the list"? (see the WIKI if you don't know what I mean)
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kaye.
Is your occupation is on "the list"? (see the WIKI if you don't know what I mean)
Yes, I write computer software, and have also managed a small team of computer programmers. I also have a diploma in IT, funny how when I was 17 years old I thought it would be utter crap to have and now here we are 20 years later and it has scored us an additional point
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by raymasa
I am sorry, but what exactly does the Polish people moving to the UK, Pope being a Catholic or the price of tea in China has to do with you imigrating to Canada? Just because British laws allows Polish people to come to the UK doesnt means that Canada is obligated to let you get on the bus and move to Penticton.

Ray
Do you think that the reason that Polish people can get on a bus is due to:
1. the fact that it can be driven on land to Europe an then cross the channel via the Channel Tunnel (assuming that it isn't snowing!) or
2. Because Poland is a member state of EU?

Do you think that British people can't do the same as:
A. there is no tunnel between UK and Canada?
B. Because Canada is not a member state of EU?

Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Do you think that the reason that Polish people can get on a bus is due to:
1. the fact that it can be driven on land to Europe an then cross the channel via the Channel Tunnel (assuming that it isn't snowing!) or
2. Because Poland is a member state of EU?

Do you think that British people can't do the same as:
A. there is no tunnel between UK and Canada?
B. Because Canada is not a member state of EU?

I know what makes it easy. Although the method of transport is irrelevant because I can get on a plane and be in Canada the same day.

I was merely outlining the contrast. 1 day Vs Years. That's a big contrast!
Old Feb 14th 2010, 8:41 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yup I took it as the logistical differences in moving country - nothing to do with anything else.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yup I took it as the logistical differences in moving country - nothing to do with anything else.

Ditto....Seems we have some who sit on the side lines hoping to pounce upon the unsuspecting poster ....Mr 'overtly sensitive' PC rears his ugly head again .
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:45 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrpmorris
No it did not take me two years to move to Canada. The company had briefly discussed relocation in mid 2002, basically floating the idea to some of the staff, myself included. February 2003 saw a final plan being made as to what would happen, and I'd decided I wanted to relocate. April 6th 2003 saw me at Pearson Airport asking for a work permit as an intra-company transferee (with various bits of paperwork from and immigration lawyer and my employer), which was granted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.