Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Birth certificate - original vs. photocopy?

Birth certificate - original vs. photocopy?

Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Shredder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birth certificate - original vs. photocopy?

I see some discussion on here as whether people have sent a photocopy (notorised) vs. ordering a copy from the register office.

Any conclusion on whether a photocopy is accepted by CIC? Did anyone submit a photocopy themselves?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Birth certificate - original vs. photocopy?

A legal copy of your birth certificate will cost you £7, a notarized photocopy will cost you a lot more - if you can find a notary to do it for you, apparently it is not legal to photocopy this document (says our notary).
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
A legal copy of your birth certificate will cost you £7, a notarized photocopy will cost you a lot more - if you can find a notary to do it for you, apparently it is not legal to photocopy this document (says our notary).
Your notary is wrong - I am not aware of any legal prohibition. As long as you don't try to pass off a copy as the real thing.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Two notaries and one solicitor gave us the same info.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Two notaries and one solicitor gave us the same info.
Did they put it in writing with reference to the law? If so, please share with us.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

We were told the same thing. I think that the consultant letter with our 90 day letter pointed out that copies were not valid even if notarised as it had to be originals with the registry stamp/seal thing? It clearly said 'originals' although i note this is note clear on the London office specific pages. It does say for which others notarised docs are valid though...
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

What sort of application are you discussing?

At least for a sponsored family class application, you are not supposed to send originals:
Send originals of the immigration forms (items 1 to 5 below) and police certificates. Send photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise.
This is from the uk Country Specific Instructions 3901E
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

glenfiddich is on a distinguished road

Does it state on a UK birth certificate that it can not be photocopied? Mine is Canadian...Maybe the answer lies in that...I know that my British Columbian birth certificate is invalid if I laminate it...says so on the document. The UK ones may have something about photocopying...
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:37 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenfiddich
Does it state on a UK birth certificate that it can not be photocopied? Mine is Canadian...Maybe the answer lies in that...I know that my British Columbian birth certificate is invalid if I laminate it...says so on the document. The UK ones may have something about photocopying...
Doesn't say anything about not photocopying on my UK Birth Certificate - but then I doubt photocopiers were very common in 1977

I'm just sending a photocopy.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

voyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the rough

We sent certified copies of our birth certificates. By certified I mean that a solicitor saw the original and made a copy and wrote something like: This is a true and accurate copy of ...... . He then signed it and added his business stamp charged us a £1 per copy. We sent it in and are now post medical waiting for the next step.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shredder
I see some discussion on here as whether people have sent a photocopy (notorised) vs. ordering a copy from the register office.

Any conclusion on whether a photocopy is accepted by CIC? Did anyone submit a photocopy themselves?
They accepted my photocopy.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Why are people bothering with certifying the photocopies? Why not just do a simple photocopy at the local library and send that?

Last edited by bewillow; Jun 15th 2009 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:14 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewillow
Why are people bothering with certifying the photocopies? Why not just do a simple photocopy at the local library and send that?
This is a long contested debate on here - conflicting instructions from CIC/CHC means that some people do it and some people don't. I don't remember seeing anyone saying they had their documents rejected because they didn't though - so it's down to personal choice and whether you want to take the risk, some people just like to go belt and braces!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I just photocopied it myself and they accepted that with no problems.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:55 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had mine photocopied and notarized and sent those, as it states not to send originals apart from police checks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.