Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Biomedical Scientists/ Medical Laboratory Technologists

Biomedical Scientists/ Medical Laboratory Technologists

Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

idreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to behold
Default Biomedical Scientists/ Medical Laboratory Technologists

Hi,

Are there any biomedical scientists (called medical laboratory technologists in Canada) out there?

If so:

Did you class your occupation as "2121 Biologists and Related Scientists" (which IS on the CIC list), or "3211 Medical Laboratory Technologists and Pathologists' Assistants" (which ISN'T on the CIC list)? Did you end up needing to get a job offer to apply or did they accept that our profession can be applied to NOC 2121?

If the job doesn't come under NOC 2121, I intend to go to BC on their provincial nominee programme for strategic occupations, as a skilled worker, as our profession is under skill level B of the National Occupational Classification Matrix, and I will need a job offer to apply.

If you too went via this route:

1) How/ where did you find a job?

2) Did you find it hard to get employers to take you seriously, being in another country?

3) Did they accept your UK qualifications?

4) Did you need to register with the Canadian society for medical laboratory science before you applied for jobs?

5) Could you share the process you went through to get PR?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by idreamadream; Sep 17th 2011 at 4:56 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:31 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biomedical Scientists/ Medical Laboratory Technologists

To claim a particular occupation one has to show that they perform the duties and responsibilities shown in the description of that occupation in the NOC. It looks like a dead end in your case as there is a closer description available.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:14 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a biomedical scientist but I did work alongside some MLT's in my last job (In Ontario).

From what I learned it seems to be a quite unionised and hard to get into system.

The younger ones I worked with, having passed their MLT qualifications had to go through a period of working crappy shifts ( nights and graveyards) in order for the lab managers to assess their worth. From there they hopefully would be be offered full time work on the day shifts,
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What Jim said. ^^^^

And welcome to the forum!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:57 am
Just Joined

idreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to beholdidreamadream is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the advice guys. At least I know now which occupation to claim it as. Now I need to know if anyone has had any experience of applying for MLS jobs in Canada.