best way to move ?

Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

weecoonty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best way to move ?

We are planning to move to Nova Scotia. As a nurse I hope to be able to gain employment prior to moving. We fully intend to become permanent residents in due course. Is it best to go on a temporary work permit initially then go down the route of provincial nominee ? Any thoughts.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all
Default Re: best way to move ?

Originally Posted by weecoonty
We are planning to move to Nova Scotia. As a nurse I hope to be able to gain employment prior to moving. We fully intend to become permanent residents in due course. Is it best to go on a temporary work permit initially then go down the route of provincial nominee ? Any thoughts.
Hello, I dont think it really matters too much. I would imaging the PN way would provide you with your PR status sooner though.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

With Nova Scotia I've always really liked the sound of the NS Community Identified Stream, as it really forces you to engage with the community that you're moving to. That has to be a good thing for anyone.

Search around on here and google to find out the detail.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

By the way, you might have more replies if you post this on the Immigration pages.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
By the way, you might have more replies if you post this on the Immigration pages.
Doh, I just deleted that one as a cross post as there were more replied to this one.... Ill move this one over there as you are probably right...
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:31 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

For gaining PR you have a few options:

Without a Job Offer first
- Apply under the federal Skilled Worker Class - Nurses are included in the list of 38 occupations that are eligible to apply without job offers

With a Job Offer first
- come over on a work permit then apply under federal skilled worker, provincial nominee program etc later on
- apply under NS Provincial Nominee Program for skilled workers first then get work permit later if you need to

it all depends on whether you are prepared to move without gaining permanent status first; whether you want to find a job before you move or wait until you are settled; what your timescales are etc.

The one route I wouldnt go for in this case is the NS PNP Community Identified Stream. Its great for people that dont have prearranged employment and dont qulifyunder other routes but its a lot more convaluted than the option that are open to you as a nurse.

BTW there are a couple of other nurses on here in NS (destinationnovascotia, poppy2) that you could chat to about their experiences of converting qualifications etc.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

weecoonty is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Paul

I think your advice confirms the path we had already considered which is the job offer-work permit-PNP path.

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:49 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Paul

I think your advice confirms the path we had already considered which is the job offer-work permit-PNP path.

Ian
Its probably the safest option actually. The good thing about the PNP is that once you have your provincial nomination you can obtain a work permit without your employer having to get the Labour Market Opinion that is required in non-PNP cases. Plus you have the comfort of knowing that you are going to get PR status once the processing is finished as, if you already have nomination, usually the only things that can go wrong are medical or criminal inadmissability. So its almost a done-deal at that stage. It probably means your employer waiting 3 months or so for your nomination to be approved though.