Best way to go about it

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Matt1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to go about it?

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Having trawled through the various posts/wiki articles on here, it would seem that it takes considerably longer to move to Canada (Vancouver specifically) than I first envisaged. I've been to Vancouver several times on holiday and will be back for 2 weeks in December, so I have a decent knowledge of the area now. I also have a large family network over there (great-aunt/uncle and several cousins) but am aware that this is not going to help with speeding up my application. I'm 31 years old, and I work in the IT industry (over seven years experience) and have industry recognized qualifications (Cisco CCNA/CCNP and Checkpoint CCSA) which I am led to believe would assist with my skilled worker application. I'm going to the job Expo thing in London in November - I know not to expect too much but will go with the mindset that I've nothing to lose and potentially everything to gain (albeit quite a long shot!).

Can anyone let me know how their applications via the skilled worker route are progressing and are able to give any general advice.

Many thanks
Matt

Last edited by Matt1977; Sep 23rd 2008 at 1:27 pm. Reason: ambiguous title
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:31 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to go about it

hi matt

all i can offer is our own experience.........

we put in for skilled worker two years ago, got our file number......then nothing!!! wasn't really expecting much more than nothing, in truth, as everyone seems to be in the same situ.....wait for 4.5years......

OR

get on an airoplane, go pound on a few doors, get a job offer with an lmo or better still, a pnp......
we went out this may, pounded the streets and saw employment agancies, employers.....anyone in fact who MIGHT be able to offer a job......had several interviews, got offered jobs in vancouver, edmonton, calgary, kelowna, winnipeg.......choose vancouver because that's were we really wanted to be......so there is work out there to be had........

finalised contracts in august, pnp put in three weeks ago, twp etc to follow and we'll be out there in november.....selling of house permitted but even so, OH will be out in nov and we'll have to follow asap......

good luck....it can be done......x
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:32 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way to go about it?

Industry certifications are not educational credentials and are completely irrelevant when it comes to immigration application.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Industry certifications are not educational credentials and are completely irrelevant when it comes to immigration application.
Really? since I don't have a degree (have 14 years of education), could this hamper my application? My job is classed as an 'in-demand' field, so would this qualifications have no positive bearing whatsoever?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:44 pm

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

ditto.....industrial qualifications are usually not the same from country to country.....ie: engineering qualifications in this country are not regognised in canada.....niether is construction!!!.......unless it's a universal qualification, such as prince in project management........ or car mechanic's.......my brother was a TOP mechanic in the uk, qualifications coming out of his ears and award's too......same company in canada but it meant nothing; he had to start again.....
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
ditto.....industrial qualifications are usually not the same from country to country.....ie: engineering qualifications in this country are not regognised in canada.....niether is construction!!!.......unless it's a universal qualification, such as prince in project management........ or car mechanic's.......my brother was a TOP mechanic in the uk, qualifications coming out of his ears and award's too......same company in canada but it meant nothing; he had to start again.....
The qualifications I have are universally recognised. Trawling through the various jobsites for Canada, they all recognise the Cisco qualifications I hold.

Looks like my slackness at University 10 years ago (not really something you worry about when you're 19) is coming back to bite me on the arse.....
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:52 pm

do you have pay annually to keep your cisco qualifications going?

i ask, because i have to pay annually for my society of illustrators, artists and designers........and no, i didn't from when i got them at 21!!! but i've had to retrain in some areas to meet the criteria and i have to pay for the honour......
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
do you have pay annually to keep your cisco qualifications going?

i ask, because i have to pay annually for my society of illustrators, artists and designers........and no, i didn't from when i got them at 21!!! but i've had to retrain in some areas to meet the criteria and i have to pay for the honour......
Yep, I have to re-certify every 3 years (about £100 per exam).

Are you familiar with the PNP route? does one have to have a job offer? I didn't think this was necessary but have seen that a Guaranteed Job Offer form is required for the application.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:33 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt1977
Really? since I don't have a degree (have 14 years of education), could this hamper my application? My job is classed as an 'in-demand' field, so would this qualifications have no positive bearing whatsoever?
http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec73.html

“educational credential”
« diplôme »
“educational credential” means any diploma, degree or trade or apprenticeship credential issued on the completion of a program of study or training at an educational or training institution recognized by the authorities responsible for registering, accrediting, supervising and regulating such institutions in the country of issue. (diplôme)

Like I said - industry certifications are not educational credentials and will not be counted towards education level nor number of years of education, period.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec73.html

“educational credential”
« diplôme »
“educational credential” means any diploma, degree or trade or apprenticeship credential issued on the completion of a program of study or training at an educational or training institution recognized by the authorities responsible for registering, accrediting, supervising and regulating such institutions in the country of issue. (diplôme)

Like I said - industry certifications are not educational credentials and will not be counted towards education level nor number of years of education, period.
Ok. Thanks for the info Andrew.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Matt1977
Yep, I have to re-certify every 3 years (about £100 per exam).

Are you familiar with the PNP route? does one have to have a job offer? I didn't think this was necessary but have seen that a Guaranteed Job Offer form is required for the application.

yes matt, you have to have a guarenteed job offer and the company apply's for the pnp....provincial nominee programme.....basically it's the province applying for you on the understanding that you fit the criteria for the job to have been offered to you in the first place....it will 'fast track' your application as skilled worker as it goes through the province via the federal goverment but the federal goverment needs to be satisfied that the company applying has done the correct 'sponsoring', if you like, of you.....ie: looked for a canadian to do the job, couldn't find one, so employed you......different in an lmo, as an lmo is not province based........plenty of other threads on here about it and some more info and put across better than i probably just did!!!!!