Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Best route for parents to immigrate??

Best route for parents to immigrate??

Old Jun 13th 2011, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

lauren1823 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best route for parents to immigrate??

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice regarding my family moving to Canada. To give you a bit of background, I now live in Canada, and my mum, dad, and 16-year-old sister live in the UK. They desperately want to move out here too, and I desperately want them here. My mum is a florist to trade, but does not work in the business at the moment, and she would like to open up her own flower/crafts business if she moved to Canada. My dad has been deemed disabled due to his severe psorasis and rheumatoid arthritis and does not work. My parents applied to move to Canada about 20 years ago and my dad had a criminal record for breach of the peace charges when he was a teenager. He did not note this on his application, and their application was denied because of this.

My questions are as follows:

1. Would my family's application be denied because of a) my dads past and their previous denied application, or b) because he is classed as 'disabled' in the UK?
2. If not, what would be the quickest route into Canada - through parental sponsorship or through my mum wishing to be self-employed and starting a business here?

Just to avoid any confusion, my dad would not be a burden to the Canadian health system, and would not be trying to claim any benefits, they want to run the buisiness together. At the moment, they are also under 50 years of age.

Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best route for parents to immigrate??

Hi Lauren,

To be honest, I can't see any easy route for your parents from what you've told us.

You could sponsor them for PR (assuming you yourself are a PR or citizen of course - you don't say what your own status in Canada is), but current timescales are around 6 years, and that is predicted to rise to around 13 years due to a reduced number of visas being made available.

Your mum would not qualify for the Self-Employed program as unfortunately florists are not one of the qualifying occupations (the list is here......http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...ons.aspx?val=5). There may be another route for her though via a Provincial Nominee Program, which province are you in?

Another thing to be aware of is that your dad may well have issues with the medical - I don't know how much care he needs, but if it is deemed by CIC to be over what the average Canadian costs (approx $5000 a year), then he would fail the medical.

Sorry I don't have better news for you, but if you can tell us which province they wish to move to, how much they have to invest in a business and how many Canadians your mum would want to employ, then we can see if the would qualify under the PNP. Or if not, look at other options for them.

Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

lauren1823 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply. I have PR at the moment, and we live in Ontario, so this would be where they would move to. I had a look at the list and 'floral designer' is one of the titles under group 5244 Artisans and Craftspersons, so would this be a quicker option if she was to open her own business up in the arts and crafts industry?

As for my dad, although he is classed as disabled in the UK, he does not require or receive any medical treatment. There isn't much they can do for him other than medical studies, but he has refused these many times due to the cancer risks involved, so other than a general doctors appointment every once and a while, the only thing he needs are his prescriptions, which of course he would be paying for himself.

They would be selling their home etc. so I would guess once their mortgage is paid off they would be coming into Canada with around $100k, but this is a total guess as I know the market is bad back home, but if we are talking a few years then who knows.

I hope this information maybe gives us a better chance??

Thanks again for your help

Lauren.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauren1823
Thank you for your reply. I have PR at the moment, and we live in Ontario, so this would be where they would move to.
OK. Unfortunately Ontario doesn't have a family stream under the PNP, so your only option if you wanted to sponsor them is to do it Federally (minimum 6 yrs, as above).

Originally Posted by lauren1823
I had a look at the list and 'floral designer' is one of the titles under group 5244 Artisans and Craftspersons, so would this be a quicker option if she was to open her own business up in the arts and crafts industry?
It will depend. Did she definitely do the duties listed under that NOC code? And has she been self-employed as a florist for at least 2 years out of the past 5? If so, and she meets the other criteria (i.e. enough points etc) then she could apply for PR under the Self-Employed Program which would get her and your father PR in approx 18 months.

If not, then I'm afraid there is no other option. Again, Ontario PNP doesn't have a business/entrepreneur stream so that's no possible. There is an investor stream, but $3M is required, which I'm guessing might be a bit too much even once they've sold their house - but mention it just in case!

Good news about your dad re: the medical, that sounds more promising, but I think the visa could be a possible issue. Only other thing (other than you sponsoring them and them waiting quite a while) is for one of them to get a job offer.

HTH, good luck.