Which is the best route for me?

Old Nov 12th 2017, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

calsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which is the best route for me?

Hi, my name is Callum, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I plan on visiting Canada and staying for 12 months to see if living in Canada is for me. I would like to be able to work while I am there to support myself, I have done some research and noticed that the IEC option would work well for me, however as I am only 17, and not 18 until February 2018 so can't apply until then, would this be too late for this batch of IEC applicants?

Even if its not too late to apply in February, I know there are only 5000 places so I may not be successful. If this is the case, I would still like to be able to work over there to support myself, so I would like to obtain an open work permit to enable me to do this........something like working in a restaurant, supermarket or other casual work etc... is this something that is possible? are there any other ways I can obtain a permit?

If all goes well, and I think I would enjoy living there, I would eventually like to have the opportunity to apply for permanent residency, but thats something to consider for the future.

Could anyone give me any advice on what path I should take?

Thanking you in advance.

Callum.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is the best route for me?

Due to your age the IEC is the best option for you. You can submit once you turn 18 and meet the programme eligibility. Many have been given the ITA later on in the year as people will pull out so opening up more spaces.
Other than the IEC your chances of getting over on a 12 month work permit and not the IEC 2 year one then your chances are very slim IMHO.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calsholty
Hi, my name is Callum, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I plan on visiting Canada and staying for 12 months to see if living in Canada is for me. I would like to be able to work while I am there to support myself, I have done some research and noticed that the IEC option would work well for me, however as I am only 17, and not 18 until February 2018 so can't apply until then, would this be too late for this batch of IEC applicants?

Even if its not too late to apply in February, I know there are only 5000 places so I may not be successful. If this is the case, I would still like to be able to work over there to support myself, so I would like to obtain an open work permit to enable me to do this........something like working in a restaurant, supermarket or other casual work etc... is this something that is possible? are there any other ways I can obtain a permit?

If all goes well, and I think I would enjoy living there, I would eventually like to have the opportunity to apply for permanent residency, but thats something to consider for the future.

Could anyone give me any advice on what path I should take?

Thanking you in advance.

Callum.

As FL says, best way by far for your plan is IEC. If you're a UK citizen, it will allow you to go over for 2 years, with an open work permit (so you can do just about any job that will hire you).

You can go for just one year if you want, but any Brit drawn is allowed 2 years, and however long they spend there, it's a one-time thing (ie, if you go for one year when you're 18, you can't then get the second year when you're 25). You would need insurance for the full two years if you wanted to have that opportunity.

Draws for the 2018 season haven't started yet, the majority of spaces are likely to still be available in February, so you can enter the pool then, and see how it goes.

If you don't get an IEC permit, then you would be able to go to Canada, and request six months entry as a visitor. You would not be allowed to work in that time. You could try to get a work permit issued off a Labour Market Impact Assessment, but that is extremely unlikely to be successful (involves a company paying the Govt $1k, and advertising for months actively trying to find a Canadian who can do the job).

If you have an extremely large amount of money, you could study in Canada, assuming you have qualifications that would allow university entry. International undergraduate fees often run $30k/year+, and you'd need first year's fees plus living costs in your bank account at the time you applied. Upon graduation, if you went to an appropriate university, you could get a Post Graduation Work Permit for up to 3 years.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 11:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I would say IEC, or student visas are you only options right now. An alternative is to get a trade in the UK, 5+ years experience and go from there. You won't be able to do trades training in Canada, only PR and Canadians are able to do this.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

If this is the case, I would still like to be able to work over there to support myself, so I would like to obtain an open work permit to enable me to do this........something like working in a restaurant, supermarket or other casual work etc... is this something that is possible? are there any other ways I can obtain a permit?
Nope, afraid not. The only open work permit you'd be eligible for is an IEC, so you'd need to try and apply for that. Bear in mind that you'll need quite a good amount of money behind you if you're only going to be doing casual work, Canada isn't a cheap place to live! So you might want to take more than the minimum amount required for the IEC visa I think.

That would be worth looking in to before you go, as you're only 17 I'm assuming you won't have a degree, so do double check you'll be eligible for PR if you do think you'd want to stay.

Best of luck to you.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

calsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for answering to my post. I will have the money to do IEC but I will be living with my god parents whilst i'm there so I do have the support for whilst i'm there which is better than being on my own.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for answering to my post. I will have the money to do IEC but I will be living with my god parents whilst i'm there so I do have the support for whilst i'm there which is better than being on my own.
Ah, perfect! That's great. Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
I would say IEC, or student visas are you only options right now. An alternative is to get a trade in the UK, 5+ years experience and go from there. You won't be able to do trades training in Canada, only PR and Canadians are able to do this.
Thank you for replying, I will apply for IEC in February 2018 and hope for the best.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Due to your age the IEC is the best option for you. You can submit once you turn 18 and meet the programme eligibility. Many have been given the ITA later on in the year as people will pull out so opening up more spaces.
Other than the IEC your chances of getting over on a 12 month work permit and not the IEC 2 year one then your chances are very slim IMHO.
That is great advice. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I will hope for the best that I get a place on the IEC option! Thank you again.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:38 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It is nice to see the recipient of responses on here having the courtesy of acknowledging the contributors. Good luck with your adventures. Set goals and follow them, many things are possible if you are single minded enough.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 6:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is nice to see the recipient of responses on here having the courtesy of acknowledging the contributors. Good luck with your adventures. Set goals and follow them, many things are possible if you are single minded enough.
+1

What a well mannered young man... thank you for taking the time to respond to everyone!

Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:22 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck in your plans, hope you are in sooner rather than later