Best cities

Old Jun 12th 2001, 5:07 am
Kaix

would like to make another question : if there is a ranking list for the best cities
in Canada, how would you rank them ?

Old Jun 15th 2001, 6:56 pm
Matthew Wells

That depends what you're looking for in a city: jobs, culture, beauty, a good
nightlife? Porbably the best all-around cities for all of these are Toronto,
Vancouver and Calgary. Personally, Montreal is my favourite city in the country, but
it's a little light on the job market and the language barrier could be a problem.
Ottawa is a decent place to live as well.

Matt

"Kaix" <[email protected]>
    >
    >

Old Jun 16th 2001, 7:20 am
Kaix

How about Edmonton ? any insights ? Seen some complaints about Calgary being 10-15
years behind time ! Is that serious ? Doesn't sound logical to me then just ask

Kaix

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 16th 2001, 2:34 pm
Denna

10-15 years in what regards? Calgary is a great place to live and I came from the
tech industry in Los Angeles, Calif.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > That depends what you're looking for in a city: jobs, culture, beauty, a good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > nightlife? Porbably the best all-around cities for all of these are Toronto,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Vancouver and Calgary. Personally, Montreal is my favourite city in the country,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but it's a little light on the job market and the language barrier could be a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > problem. Ottawa is a decent place to live as well.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Matt[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jun 16th 2001, 3:53 pm
jason

Originally posted by Denna
10-15 years in what regards? Calgary is a great place to live and I came from the
tech industry in Los Angeles, Calif.

hello, denna! interesting you come from LA but are now in Calgary. dont you miss the low cost of living and the sunshine of the US? i thought the world and his auntie wanted to be in the US, the "dream"! what do you say?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > That depends what you're looking for in a city: jobs, culture, beauty, a good[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > nightlife? Porbably the best all-around cities for all of these are Toronto,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Vancouver and Calgary. Personally, Montreal is my favourite city in the country,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but it's a little light on the job market and the language barrier could be a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > problem. Ottawa is a decent place to live as well.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Matt[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jun 16th 2001, 5:20 pm
Kaix

Hi Denna

Sorry if I've been in any way offensive, but I read it somewhere on the internet
about comapring Calgary to other Canadian cities. One of them said Calgary looked
10-15 years behind time. It sounded to mean 10-15 years behind in technology and
living standards to me.

Kaix

Old Jun 16th 2001, 10:08 pm
Denna

Oh I didn't take any offense at all...I was merely curious what was being said as
being behind the times in Calgary.

>
    >
    >
    >
said
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 16th 2001, 10:28 pm
Denna

Hi there!

Miss the low cost of living??? In Los Angeles?? Housing costs in Los Angeles are
horrible and electricity bills to run those air conditioners are far higher than what
I have to pay here in heating and cooling. People are ten times nicer here,
wayyyyyyyyy less crime and "rundown" areas than Los Angeles. Public transportation is
superior here. Government programs (and dealing with the people that work there) are
actually a pleasant experience here compared to the experiences down there. Groceries
are pretty comparable in cost with the exception of produce. Coming from Southern
Calif. I am a bit spoiled by the selection and prices of produce. I have found that
you definitely get more bang for your buck up here.

As far as technology goes, Calgary is the second most internet connected city in
Canada and Canada is leading the world in the percentage of Internet households with
high-speed access.

There are more people able up here to have a one working parent family allowing the
other to stay home and raise the kids and still have decent housing and good quality
of life. I think Calgary (and Canada in general) is more family focused than the U.S.

Yes Los Angeles has more sunshine...but it also means you can see the brown air you
get to breathe throughout the summer months. Then there are those days where there is
a smog alert in effect and you get to enjoy your sunshine inside the house. Summers
get tremendously hot there and can get pretty miserable. Christmas feels more like
Christmas up here with the snow than wearing t-shirts and shorts or rain gear down
there. I am actually loving the weather here in Calgary. We get a little bit of
everything and never too much of anything. We've had a very mild couple of winters
(and yes I have experienced the other ones up here....I traveled up here for over 4
years prior to moving here...I've been here almost two years). I've never had to dig
my car out of snow or plug it in to keep it from freezing.

I miss the beaches big time and yes, the freeways. Getting from one place to another
using mostly surface streets frustrates me here.

My daughter plays very competitive level softball and I miss the sports focus of
Southern Calif. and where they can play year round. She doesn't have as much
opportunity up here.

Everyone up here when they hear I came from the "paradise" of Southern Calif. thinks
that I am nuts to have moved here. I'm not. I love it and if I could have beaches,
freeways and 24 hour grocery stores here, I'd have it made. <grin>

Denna

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2] [usenetquote2]> > Matt[/usenetquote2] [usenetquote2]>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]     >
[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 17th 2001, 6:01 am
HG

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Low cost of living in LA compared to Calgary? Good Lord!

Old Jun 17th 2001, 6:02 am
HG

>
    >
    >
    >
said
    >
    >
    >
    >

Calgary is one of the richest, most modern Canadian cities.

Old Jun 21st 2001, 11:07 pm
Ryan

They could have been refering to the old fashion redneck mentallity that Alberta
often gets accused of. Although that has not been my experience.

-------
www.canadafreehost.com Free Webpages For Canadians

>
    >
    >
said
    >
    >
    >
    >