Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BC visa activation. should i flagpole?

BC visa activation. should i flagpole?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

supafly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC visa activation. should i flagpole?

hi all,

so i have in my hands a passport with much-spoken-of "shiney visa" attached to it, my choices are now book in an appointment with the local office (i'm in BC) which could take a month or head down to the border to activate.

i'm thinking of heading down to the peace arches this sunday to get it all done but i seem to remember some people saying they had problems with grumpy border staff saying one should go to the office?

suggestions please?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC visa activation. should i flagpole?

Hi

Originally Posted by supafly
hi all,

so i have in my hands a passport with much-spoken-of "shiney visa" attached to it, my choices are now book in an appointment with the local office (i'm in BC) which could take a month or head down to the border to activate.

i'm thinking of heading down to the peace arches this sunday to get it all done but i seem to remember some people saying they had problems with grumpy border staff saying one should go to the office?

suggestions please?
Go the the border, the grumpy IOs are for those that extend their work permits there rather than sending them to Vegreville.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

another thing is i just noticed i forgot to hand in my green US visa (I-94 i think it is?) the last time i visited.. should i expect problems there?

nothing i can really do now is there?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

they get so wound up about people who dont hand the 1-94s in before the 90days are up.
this is from personal experience.
best of luck james
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

my lawyer said technically you're not actually entering the US so they shouldn't have a problem with it.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Re: I-94W hand-in.

You can post it back to them. There are details on www.cbp.gov on how to do it.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

We flagpoled at Point Roberts (Tswassen). I would recommend this border post as it will be a lot quieter than Peace Arch.
If your I-94 has not yet expired (I think you get 90 days) then you can hand it in when you flagpole. If not still hand it in and explain that it was not taken out last time you left US.