BC PNP common-law question

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

chinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BC PNP common-law question

My boyfriend and I applied for the BC PNP skilled worker - through his job and i am on his application as his common-law partner. We are expecting to hear any day now if we are successful.

As it has been so long since applying... i'm having last minute worries and just wanted to confirm..

If our application is successful, i will be able to work too wont it!?
I did put on the form a job offer i have, (which isn't skilled hence why i didn't do my own application).
Would they then just issue me a work visa specifically for that job, or would i be given an open work visa for any job?

I really hope it is the latter, but i really can't remember!

thanks so much
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC PNP common-law question

Originally Posted by chinn
My boyfriend and I applied for the BC PNP skilled worker - through his job and i am on his application as his common-law partner. We are expecting to hear any day now if we are successful.

As it has been so long since applying... i'm having last minute worries and just wanted to confirm..

If our application is successful, i will be able to work too wont it!?
I did put on the form a job offer i have, (which isn't skilled hence why i didn't do my own application).
Would they then just issue me a work visa specifically for that job, or would i be given an open work visa for any job?

I really hope it is the latter, but i really can't remember!

thanks so much
Hi. If you are accepted then you will be a PR too so will be able to work in any job.

Best of luck!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:56 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi. If you are accepted then you will be a PR too so will be able to work in any job.

Best of luck!
in the end, yes.

i assume that the op is talking about the first step, about being nominated by bcpnp. they then have still to submit their pr application to their according visa post.
with a support lettre from bcpnp they would be eligible to apply for a lmo exempt wp to come over while their pr application is processed.
if they are going through the skilled occupation stream of bcpnp, the op's partner's profession has to be noc 0, a or b. i therefore believe that the op would be eligible for a sowp.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lof
i assume that the op is talking about the first step, about being nominated by bcpnp.
Ah, possibly. I just assumed that it was for the second step as I recalled they've been working in Canada for a while already.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:40 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, possibly. I just assumed that it was for the second step as I recalled they've been working in Canada for a while already.
i'd been working in canada for 15 months before my employer finally agreed to apply for bcpnp...

if i remember the op's circumstances right they were here on bunac but missed the right timing to get a wp / nomination before they had to leave canada. i guess they applied for bcpnp around mid october 2008.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lof
i'd been working in canada for 15 months before my employer finally agreed to apply for bcpnp...

if i remember the op's circumstances right they were here on bunac but missed the right timing to get a wp / nomination before they had to leave canada. i guess they applied for bcpnp around mid october 2008.
Yes, this is correct... well remembered! It is the skilled occupation stream. We received confirmation from BC pnp that they received our application on Oct 21st and should take 10-12 weeks to process and so we expect to hear any day.

You say with a bc pnp support letter i'd be eligible to apply for a lmo exempt wp... any idea how i would go about doing that.. and how long it would take to get?? I thought that as i was on his application and have a job offer, they'd just issue me a wp straight off?

We are flying back over to Canada on Jan 15th, and were hoping we will have heard by then. We thought that if the application is successful we would then be given a WP i guess at the border, and my partner could work straight away? Is this correct. Then i would apply for this lmo exempt work permit?

And if we haven't heard we'd wait there on a tourist visa until we do hear!

confused!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:27 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

Originally Posted by chinn
Yes, this is correct... well remembered! It is the skilled occupation stream. We received confirmation from BC pnp that they received our application on Oct 21st and should take 10-12 weeks to process and so we expect to hear any day.

You say with a bc pnp support letter i'd be eligible to apply for a lmo exempt wp... any idea how i would go about doing that.. and how long it would take to get?? I thought that as i was on his application and have a job offer, they'd just issue me a wp straight off?

We are flying back over to Canada on Jan 15th, and were hoping we will have heard by then. We thought that if the application is successful we would then be given a WP i guess at the border, and my partner could work straight away? Is this correct. Then i would apply for this lmo exempt work permit?

And if we haven't heard we'd wait there on a tourist visa until we do hear!

confused!
it is confusing, i know...
your partner needs the bcpnp support lettre to get a lmo exempt wp. and you would get a sowp on the back of his, in the same go...

when i was in the situation nearly 2 years ago, i had to ask for the support lettre (i guess because they needed the address of the cic office i was going to apply to...). i phoned my bcpnp case officer first, and they told me to do it in writing (e-mail or fax) - i had the support lettre less than 4 hours later.

yes, if you get your wp at poe your documents are issued right away.

does that help?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lof
it is confusing, i know...
your partner needs the bcpnp support lettre to get a lmo exempt wp. and you would get a sowp on the back of his, in the same go...

when i was in the situation nearly 2 years ago, i had to ask for the support lettre (i guess because they needed the address of the cic office i was going to apply to...). i phoned my bcpnp case officer first, and they told me to do it in writing (e-mail or fax) - i had the support lettre less than 4 hours later.

yes, if you get your wp at poe your documents are issued right away.

does that help?
yeah, that's great so...
Once accepted (optimism for you!) we would mail bc pnp and ask for a support letter and take that to the border and be issued the wp there...?
thanks so much
Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:58 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

yes, that's the way it should work.

well, if you want to verify what i told you (my information might be out of date...), give your bcpnp officer (his/her contact information should be in the paperwork you get) a call first and discuss your options.

fingers crossed for you.