Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BBC: Vancouver is 'best place to live'

BBC: Vancouver is 'best place to live'

Old Oct 5th 2005, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

timetomove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC: Vancouver is 'best place to live'

Hi,

great!

ps. I've been to Dhaka (Senegal) and I thought it was great..right on the coast.. typical bustling, colorful, vibrant African city.. very friendly and very cheap. I guess it depends on what you like, however, I agree Canada does sound pretty nice!

good luck

Tim
Old Oct 5th 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
The irony of immigrants complaining about the number of immigrants is seldom lost around here.
...don't say i didn't warn you....I was referring to the triad type gang warfare I have read about in the Canadian press.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 6:59 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smitp11
...don't say i didn't warn you....I was referring to the triad type gang warfare I have read about in the Canadian press.
No so very different to the shootings in Toronto I guess. If you arent in a Triad gang, why worry?

I dont remember anything about the traids in the article you linked to anyway.

Canada is a nation of immigrants. I suggest you get used to the idea.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
No so very different to the shootings in Toronto I guess. If you arent in a Triad gang, why worry?

I dont remember anything about the traids in the article you linked to anyway.

Canada is a nation of immigrants. I suggest you get used to the idea.

Sorry Iain, I wasn't whinging or whining, just trying to add a different perspective to the article by the BBC. Just because Vancouver is voted the best place to live, it doesn't mean it is a safe haven, I was trying to get people to think a little wider than the rosy picture these types of articles depict. I am well aware that Canada is a nation of immigrants, it is one of the ingredients that makes this country (Canada) great.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:54 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timetomove

ps. I've been to Dhaka (Senegal) and I thought it was great
I suspect you have either been to Dakar (Senegal) or Dhaka (Bangladesh).

ps Nearly ended up on the wrong continent over these cities once because of a difference in accents between the travel agent and me
Old Oct 6th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: BBC: Vancouver is 'best place to live'

Originally Posted by ABW
Folks who live around Hastings St., New West, etc may disagree that YVR is the best place to live.
Alternatively, folks who live in northern Burnaby, West Vancouver, and west-end around UBC, Coquitlam, or North Vancouver may say YVR is the best place to live.
I used to live in northern Burnaby somewhere around Canada Way and Royal Oak and I like it.

Caveat emptor: The best always comes with a price.

Honk if you think housing/renting price in the lower mainland is reasonable.....
I hear crickets chirp
FYI: Richmond = Hongcouver
Yeah but you get what you pay for I loved living in Vancouver and can't wait to do so again
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

timetomove is an unknown quantity at this point

ooops. yeah i meant Dakar.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

dkskeng is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adele
Yeah but you get what you pay for I loved living in Vancouver and can't wait to do so again
Just landed to Vancouver and stayed for couple days. I love it.. very nice and beautiful place to live; However, the Hasting st?? it just not the good place to hang around.. scary.... :scared:
Old Oct 8th 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by smitp11
Just because Vancouver is voted the best place to live, it doesn't mean it is a safe haven, I was trying to get people to think a little wider than the rosy picture these types of articles depict. .
Heard a guy on the radio thismorning from the EIU explaining the scientific way they did the surveys ( not just a clipboard in the street) and how cities were rated on percentage scores. Low percentage=good, high percentage =not so good. People rated things like crime, infrastructure, community centres, transport etc. He was explaining that those surveyed in Vancouver gave v low scores (good) for all all of above, with the exception of there being some petty crime, as you would expect in a big city - which pipped it into first place, COMPARED to other cities. Not to say that it is perfect, it just scored the best.

He also explained that in terms of points, or fractions of points, the difference between the various top cities was very small. Even though they came in 47th place, he said Dublin London and LA still all had 'good' scores (they scored 10). He said you only really worry about a place when it scores over 20.

Interesting they had a Canadian from Vancouver also on the show, living in Ireland, and she understood completely why Vancouver came first, but said she prefers the history and character of a place like Dublin, despite its failures in other ways.

Just proves it's a very subjective thing I think.

Snowqueen