Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Basic question for International student that wish to settle in Canada

Wikiposts

Basic question for International student that wish to settle in Canada

Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Ethel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant future
Exclamation Basic question for International student that wish to settle in Canada

I'm an international student and is expecting to graduate in about a year and a half. Quiet frankly, I've been thinking a lot about this recently.

I'm studying in a good university with part-time work experience, but really been worried about the chance that I would be able to pursuit PR here.

The whole '3 months' window frame where you need to find a job and if not you need to leave Canada kind of thing is definitely something to think off. Just wondering if anyone have some sort of experience going thru this and if you got any advice?

I understand there is back-up plan if all else fails (You dont get a job after 3 months) like taking additional course, but I don't know really of any viable option since the 'Canadian Experience Class' new immigration rule will not help International student

So feel free to share your thoughts and opinions.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:35 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Basic question for International student that wish to settle in Canada

It is not 3 months to find the job - 3 months is to file application for post-grad work permit. You can look for job now and in most cases you may be able to get permit to work part time off campus while studying. Don't just sit and worry what may or may not happen after you graduate. Take your future into your hands and show that you have skills and abilities to establish yourself in Canada now.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future
Default Re: Basic question for International student that wish to settle in Canada

Originally Posted by Ethel
I'm studying in a good university with part-time work experience, but really been worried about the chance that I would be able to pursuit PR here.

The whole '3 months' window frame where you need to find a job and if not you need to leave Canada kind of thing is definitely something to think off. Just wondering if anyone have some sort of experience going thru this and if you got any advice?
Plan, prepare, work hard and aim to secure a job (a month) before you finish your study program

I can understand your anxiety, but can tell you that securing a job is very much achievable. A lot depends on which field you are studying in, whether your study program has a Co-op/placement component, etc.. Regardless, identify well known companies in your field. From what I have seen, the bigger/medium-sized players are more likely to have the wherewithal, knowedgebase and experience in recruiting international students.

I read your comment on P&G in one of your other postings - don't let it put you off. Management consultancies, IT companies, financial sector regularly take on international students in Canada.

One more thing, if I may dare to add - do not think too much about permanent residence while you are studying. Focus on your studies and get a good job. PR is a by-product of your success in your core field - it will come for sure.

Once you secure your post-graduate work permit, that will be the time to focus on your PR application
Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

I know graduates that got jobs on October and dont finish school until April. So dont stress just yet.

What are you studying? I can recommend some companies