Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question on Background Declaration - Previous Addresses

Question on Background Declaration - Previous Addresses

Old Jan 12th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough
Default Question on Background Declaration - Previous Addresses

Hi Guys

We're having a stab at filling out the imm8 form and have found that it is asking for a list of all the addresses you have held since the age of 18. I am 39 and have lived in at least 14 different places since the age of 18, I cannot remember all the dates and all the housenumbers. Will addresses for the last 10 years do?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:26 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on Background Declaration - Previous Addresses

Try your best and explain the gaps in a cover letter. Probably the best you can do. Or if you can remember the addresses but not the dates, be rough but also mention it all in a cover letter with the form. We sent a letter with every single form explaining anything that needed further explanation and to cover any gaps and holes.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by vegasrockstar
Hi Guys

We're having a stab at filling out the imm8 form and have found that it is asking for a list of all the addresses you have held since the age of 18. I am 39 and have lived in at least 14 different places since the age of 18, I cannot remember all the dates and all the housenumbers. Will addresses for the last 10 years do?

Thanks
I had to rack my brains to remember where I lived and harder still between what dates, luckily I managed to get my dates & addresses together. Surely you can remember where you lived try a drive by your old stomping ground. If this fails I would agree with Ben if you can't remember advise them.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Thanks
Hi
Just thought to add my thoughts to the melting pot. I think that CIC only need to know so that they can confirm background checks and that the Police clearance certs are relevant for the locals in which you may have come to their notice. So if you really can't remember a covering letter which states the area, or ask a long standing friend where you have lived. I know from my messy address book that whenever someone moves, I have simply crossed out the old and written the new below it....a long shot but may come up trumps
Good Luck anyway
Stef and Lins
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:05 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Hi Guys

Thanks
We had this same problem and I sent off for our National Insurance files. You can do this under the data protection act and it is free.

The reason I mention this is because not only do you get a record of you employment history including where you worked and when which is very helpful with the forms. It also gives your addresses, and although it does not go as far a to say "you moved to this place on this date" it does give you an idea of where you lived in certain years which can help greatly.

I sent both mine and my husbands NI files with our info to CIC so they could see the official documentation of where we worked etc. We never got asked for further clarification so it must have been okay.

Good luck.
Jane
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
We had this same problem and I sent off for our National Insurance files. You can do this under the data protection act and it is free.

The reason I mention this is because not only do you get a record of you employment history including where you worked and when which is very helpful with the forms. It also gives your addresses, and although it does not go as far a to say "you moved to this place on this date" it does give you an idea of where you lived in certain years which can help greatly.

I sent both mine and my husbands NI files with our info to CIC so they could see the official documentation of where we worked etc. We never got asked for further clarification so it must have been okay.

Good luck.
Jane
That sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea Jane!

I've just been trawling through my fading memory banks and have remembered the streets but not the housenumbers and dates so that idea will work a treat.

Where and how do I apply for the NI files?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:40 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

That sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea Jane!

I've just been trawling through my fading memory banks and have remembered the streets but not the housenumbers and dates so that idea will work a treat.

Where and how do I apply for the NI files?
If you write to:

Data Protection SAR Unit
Room BP5001
Benton Park View
Longbenton
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

Write a cover letter explaining that you are requesting disclosure personal data held about you under the provision of the Data Protection Act 1998.

You should include your full name, address, date of birth and of course your NI number.

They shouldn't take long to reply.

Good luck
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
If you write to:

Data Protection SAR Unit
Room BP5001
Benton Park View
Longbenton
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

Write a cover letter explaining that you are requesting disclosure personal data held about you under the provision of the Data Protection Act 1998.

You should include your full name, address, date of birth and of course your NI number.

They shouldn't take long to reply.

Good luck
Thanks for that. We are off to SK for 11 weeks on 28th January so hopefully we'll get a response in time ...
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys

Thanks
I just scanned the pdf guide for sw class, and from the way i read it, it says you only need to provide address of where you have lived for the last 10 years. (From the age of 18 you have to establish what you were doing, be it employment, travelling, studying etc...)
See if the link below works
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf