bank account question

Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

mich1s is an unknown quantity at this point
Question bank account question

my one year work visa has just about expired. i have a bank account here in canada. am i allowed to keep it as an account? i wish to continue coming back as a tourist ( the initial work visa wasn't used for work in the first place - i just wanted to spend a longer time here than the usual 6 months )

if i come back with a larger amount than 10,000 dollars - for example to last me the 6 months. is it ok for me to deposit it in my canadian bank account or do i have to close this now that the work visa is expired?

personally, i would like to keep this account open - it's just more convenient for me when i come here to visit and travel.

thanks, michael
Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:56 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bank account question

Originally Posted by mich1s
my one year work visa has just about expired. i have a bank account here in canada. am i allowed to keep it as an account? i wish to continue coming back as a tourist ( the initial work visa wasn't used for work in the first place - i just wanted to spend a longer time here than the usual 6 months )

if i come back with a larger amount than 10,000 dollars - for example to last me the 6 months. is it ok for me to deposit it in my canadian bank account or do i have to close this now that the work visa is expired?

personally, i would like to keep this account open - it's just more convenient for me when i come here to visit and travel.

thanks, michael
Many non residents have bank accounts. Just be carefull about income from interest..not sure where that would have to be reported.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

mich1s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Many non residents have bank accounts. Just be carefull about income from interest..not sure where that would have to be reported.
whatever income i'd have from interest would be much at all, and regardless, i wouldn't try and hide it and claim it as my own. thanks for ur help though - that's one thing i feel is a little clearer now.

cheers,

michael
Old Mar 24th 2005, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
My bank in Canada sends me a yearly statement of the interest they have deducted and passed on to Revenue Canada. It's called an NR something<insert number here, I've forgotten it!>.

OP, tell your bank, they'll do the necessary and get your NR payments made for you. I even have statments sent to me overseas, no problem.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:48 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
My bank in Canada sends me a yearly statement of the interest they have deducted and passed on to Revenue Canada. It's called an NR something<insert number here, I've forgotten it!>.

OP, tell your bank, they'll do the necessary and get your NR payments made for you. I even have statments sent to me overseas, no problem.
Yes Biiiiink,

It is the same for me. I believe it is called a Foreign (or Non) Residents tax ant it is about 1/3 of the capital gains. The other thing to watch out for, is that if you have no movements on your account for 6 months (my bank at least) zour account is locked, and you have to unlock it by showing up at your branch in person before you can do any further transactions.