Is this a bad idea..

Old Oct 31st 2004, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default Is this a bad idea..

I am from the UK, and my girlfriend is from the US. We are going to study together in Canada and when I was looking for flights, it seemed cheaper and better for organization for me to fly and visit her for a week, and then to fly up together.
One thing I am worried about is if Immigration will just see us as going to study as a means of being together, although that is a bonus, it definately isnt the only reason and I dont want them to possibly deny either of us entry because they feel we are entering for the wrong reasons. Would you advise me to fly out on a flight that is a lot more expensive and makes things more difficult, or do you not see them turning us away for this reason? ( I already have my Visa acceptance letter, just need to get to immigration for the actual Visa)

One other quick side question is that I read that...

In Saskatchewan you are eligible for medical insurance through the province from the day of your arrival at no cost, as long as you arrive in Saskatchewan directly from your country of origin and have not been in another Canadian province longer than three months.
How will my week in America beforehand affect that

Thanks for your time
Old Oct 31st 2004, 11:52 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a bad idea..

Hi

Originally Posted by Brodel
I am from the UK, and my girlfriend is from the US. We are going to study together in Canada and when I was looking for flights, it seemed cheaper and better for organization for me to fly and visit her for a week, and then to fly up together.
One thing I am worried about is if Immigration will just see us as going to study as a means of being together, although that is a bonus, it definately isnt the only reason and I dont want them to possibly deny either of us entry because they feel we are entering for the wrong reasons. Would you advise me to fly out on a flight that is a lot more expensive and makes things more difficult, or do you not see them turning us away for this reason? ( I already have my Visa acceptance letter, just need to get to immigration for the actual Visa)

One other quick side question is that I read that...

How will my week in America beforehand affect that

Thanks for your time
As long as you have student visas, Immigration couldn't care less. Heres what Sask. medical states:
Special Classes of Newcomers
Saskatchewan Health covers health services for certain special classes of newcomers from outside Canada who move to Saskatchewan on or before the first day of the third calendar month after arriving in Canada. If you are among the groups identified below, you may be eligible for benefits from the date you move to Saskatchewan:

international students
landed immigrants
people discharged from the Canadian Forces and the RCMP
non-immigrants who are in Canada in connection with their trade or profession
returning spouse of a Canadian Forces member
returning Canadian citizens
returning residents
To register

It doesn't say anything about arriving directly, but it does state there is a 3 month waiting period. http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/ps_benef...igibility.html
so you better buy health insurance for the first 3 months.

PMM

Last edited by PMM; Oct 31st 2004 at 11:56 am. Reason: Add info.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

As long as you have student visas, Immigration couldn't care less. Heres what Sask. medical states:
Special Classes of Newcomers
Saskatchewan Health covers health services for certain special classes of newcomers from outside Canada who move to Saskatchewan on or before the first day of the third calendar month after arriving in Canada. If you are among the groups identified below, you may be eligible for benefits from the date you move to Saskatchewan:

international students
landed immigrants
people discharged from the Canadian Forces and the RCMP
non-immigrants who are in Canada in connection with their trade or profession
returning spouse of a Canadian Forces member
returning Canadian citizens
returning residents
To register

It doesn't say anything about arriving directly, but it does state there is a 3 month waiting period. http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/ps_benef...igibility.html
so you better buy health insurance for the first 3 months.

PMM

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me

So the letter I received is actually going to guarantee me a student visa? I was under the impression that it was still down to the immigration officer when I arrive in Canada, to decide if I was allowed it or not.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:19 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brodel

Originally Posted by Brodel
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me

So the letter I received is actually going to guarantee me a student visa? I was under the impression that it was still down to the immigration officer when I arrive in Canada, to decide if I was allowed it or not.
Its the same with every visa. You can be refused at the Port of Entry if found inadmissible.

PMM